Sunderland promoted

Started by muppet, April 29, 2007, 03:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: tayto on April 29, 2007, 07:04:43 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 29, 2007, 05:49:58 PM
No one is saying that he is now among the all-time greats. Sunderland were a complete shambles when he took over. They'd already lost their first five league games! Yes, he bought some players and released others, but that in itself doesn't mean much if he can't mould them into a decent side. For a manager in his first ever job, he's done remarkably well. Only the most-blinkered anti-Keane or anti-United person could say otherwise.

Well actually someone was saying exactly that to me in the pub last night. That keane was now up there with slur alex.
yes he's done very well, i dont understand why all of a sudden our national media are all over division one results.

One fellow in the pub comparing Keane's initial managerial accomplishments to the four decades of continuous success enjoyed by Ferguson hardly means that that is a view held by many or even a majority of people.

And not to state the bleeding obvious, but the fact that Niall Quinn and, especially, Roy Keane (who is one of the most successful and famous Irish sports people ever along with being a controversial and very interesting personality) are both involved is the obvious source of Irish interest in this story. Their roles in the events in and surrounding Saipan no doubt add to the fascination too. 

Blacksheep

Great achievement by any manager. They were 2nd bottom and the transfer window was closed. Fair play to him nobody could have done any more.
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

tayto

Quote from: J70 on April 29, 2007, 07:27:39 PM
No one is saying that he is now among the all-time greats. Sunderland were a complete shambles when he took over. They'd already lost their first five league games! Yes, he bought some players and released others, but that in itself doesn't mean much if he can't mould them into a decent side. For a manager in his first ever job, he's done remarkably well. Only the most-blinkered anti-Keane or anti-United person could say otherwise.

Well actually someone was saying exactly that to me in the pub last night. That keane was now up there with slur alex.
yes he's done very well, i dont understand why all of a sudden our national media are all over division one results.

One fellow in the pub comparing Keane's initial managerial accomplishments to the four decades of continuous success enjoyed by Ferguson hardly means that that is a view held by many or even a majority of people.

Where did i say it was a view held by the majority of people?

Yes he's done well, i just don't think it's deserving of the hype.

Was the transfer window closed? I'm pretty sure he spent some cash. 

J70

Quote from: tayto on April 29, 2007, 07:51:02 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 29, 2007, 07:27:39 PM

Where did i say it was a view held by the majority of people?

Yes he's done well, i just don't think it's deserving of the hype.

Was the transfer window closed? I'm pretty sure he spent some cash. 

My point was that one fellow saying something in a pub doesn't mean very much in terms of people talking about Keane already being among the great managers.

According to another post in this thread, Keane had a net loss of one million in his transfer dealings. If anything, that makes his accomplishment look even better.

tayto

Someone else told me he only had a net spend of 1 million.

I'm not anti-Keane, by the way, just anti-hype. You say it's becasue of siapan and the irish connection but McCarthy got Sunderland promoted with zero cash to spend, on transfers or wages, and it was barely mentioned in the national media.

I agree Keane has done a decent job but he hasnt turned water into wine, he's turned them around very quickly, by signing [7 players was it?] most of who are proven at this level.

For me the real challenge starts next year because the likes of Connolly and an aging Yorke won't cut it in the premiership. No doubt the same people who are over egging the promotion now will lambaste him if it goes wrong next year, whereas i'd be inclined to defend him if they go down next year, he probably could've done with abnother year in division one to properly rebuild.

If he keeps them up he'll be doing really well. The real challenge starts now and i do think he could go on to be a great manager in time.

J70

Quote from: tayto on April 29, 2007, 08:52:05 PM
Someone else told me he only had a net spend of 1 million.

I'm not anti-Keane, by the way, just anti-hype. You say it's becasue of siapan and the irish connection but McCarthy got Sunderland promoted with zero cash to spend, on transfers or wages, and it was barely mentioned in the national media.

I agree Keane has done a decent job but he hasnt turned water into wine, he's turned them around very quickly, by signing [7 players was it?] most of who are proven at this level.

For me the real challenge starts next year because the likes of Connolly and an aging Yorke won't cut it in the premiership. No doubt the same people who are over egging the promotion now will lambaste him if it goes wrong next year, whereas i'd be inclined to defend him if they go down next year, he probably could've done with abnother year in division one to properly rebuild.

If he keeps them up he'll be doing really well. The real challenge starts now and i do think he could go on to be a great manager in time.

I agree completely about McCarthy. In my opinion, there were many Irish who didn't give him his due credit for what he did at Sunderland because of residual bitterness over Saipan.

Everyone, Keane especially, will be aware of the strengthening he will need to do to turn them into a premiership team. I don't see why the fact that he signed veteran and up-and-coming players from the likes of United should be held against him though. He was obviously astute enough to know the players he wanted, how to mould them into a team, and to get them playing the system and possessing the attitude that has taken them this far. There are lots of examples out there of teams who spent money and signed lots of good, even top-class, players, yet failed to find any degree of success. It would be interesting to see what the other teams in that division spent this season.

One other factor in the fascination with this story has to be the fact that many people predicted that this would all end in tears, given Keane's record of intolerance for unprofessionalism, both on the part of players and management, and his history of thinly-veiled public criticism of team-mates. Many doubted, or were at least somewhat skeptical, that he would have the patience and understanding for the job. He has, thus far, proven them wrong.

magpie seanie

I would never have doubted his ability to make it as a manager. If you actually listen to what he says its simple but effective. Good, character and honesty can bring you a long, long way. Sure he needs to bring in exra quality for next season but if he spends as wisely as he has thus far Sunderland should at least stay up. He won't be bringing in fancy dan wankers with bad attitudes.

It has to be said that Niall Quinn is one shrewd hoor. He knows a thing or two about a tihng or two.

Roy's return to Old Trafford will be very special.

magickingdom

i hope mick mccarthys wolves can also make it up, he spilt his guts for ireland. you'd swear keano was the only irish manager in the championship reading the papers here...

stew

Quote from: magickingdom on April 29, 2007, 10:37:42 PM
i hope mick mccarthys wolves can also make it up, he spilt his guts for ireland. you'd swear keano was the only irish manager in the championship reading the papers here...

I echo this sentiment, McCarthy did all he could for ireland, the saipan incident was not of his making and I would love to see him and keane going toe to toe as managers in the premiership.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Silky

Well done Keano! It shows him and Niall Quinn in a good light that thety were able to be professional and put past differences behind them.

Declan

Quotethe saipan incident was not of his making

Please. No one rise to this.

Keane has done a remarkable job in getting Sunderland promoted and playing good football as well. Poor championship though. McCarthy has also done well and it'd be great to see Wolves coming through the playoffs.

magickingdom

"the saipan incident was not of his making"
"please no one rise to this"

what happened in saipan?  ;)

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: magickingdom on April 30, 2007, 10:49:08 AM
"the saipan incident was not of his making"
"please no one rise to this"

what happened in saipan?  ;)

Keane deserted his country when they needed him most ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Declan

QuoteKeane deserted his country when they needed him most

Cue Seanie!!!

Bensars

Quote from: magickingdom on April 29, 2007, 10:37:42 PM

Sure hes only a cnut from yorkshire..........limited ability both on and off the pitch.