manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Minder on August 15, 2016, 10:24:50 PM
Mick Fennelly ruptured Achilles' tendon
Shame

Big loss for the final

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

Big loss for Kilkenny. Tipperary would not want to have it in their minds that that is decisive mind you.

Last time Tipp beat Kilkenny in a final, a high profile injury derailed the Cats. Could it be an omen?

Applesisapples

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 14, 2016, 12:35:04 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 14, 2016, 02:30:46 AM
Quote from: Zulu on August 13, 2016, 08:39:14 PM
Austin Glesson will be spoken about as one of, if not the best, hurler of all time by the time he is finished. A bold statement for a 21 year old I know but I can't ever recall seeing a guy look like a senior player playing against minors. He just owns games. Great game but shocking stuff from the referee.

Great talent alright. Fantastic athlete although he has constant major rushes of blood to the head. Takes on far too many ridiculous shots. Very wasteful at times. That said he's still young.

Imagine a 21 year old making wrong decisions!!!  Fantastic player and he has a great future.

This was an unreal game and both teams played it out the way it should be. Hard, on the edge without any malice. Some great performances but Richie Hogan is a real 'clutch' player. Pulls key scores out of nothing. This was a real 'Cody' performance.

As for the ref I'm not a hurling man but I thought he did ok. He let a lot go in the first half but there was no real dangerous stuff. He maybe favoured Waterford slightly but that happens sometimes. I think he did ok.
He was inconsistent at best, his inconsistency as you have pointed out slightly benefitted Waterford. Every county footballer in the country should watch this video of this match sport as it should be played, man to man no sledging and sheer will to win from both teams. the shoulder was not a free and was no different to the one on Canning the next day. Which was another epic and should also be watched by our big ball colleagues.

Applesisapples

I'm about to get controversial here, I watched both Semi Finals on Sky. Commentary was a joy compared to RTE and Nicky English, JJ and Ollie are refreshing to listen too. RTE need to up their game.

AZOffaly

I think that's the case for both codes Apples. Sky's coverage is positive, informative and Rachel Wyse. Now I prefer the hurling men on RTE to their football counterparts, but Ger Lock is starting to go down the Spillane road a bit. Every so often his natural love for hurling drags him back, but he looks like a lad that wants to be controversial. So much of RTE's analysis seems artificial and designed to drive controversy. Given that they have employed Dunphy, Brolly and Hook on their 3 main sports, it appears to be formulaic and intentional.

The problem with Sky is that only a relative few have Sky Sports in Ireland, and so any exclusive games they have are going to be unavailable to large amounts of people. I'm a bit blasé about that, partly because I have Sky, but mainly because those games were not available to people until relatively recently, you had to go to the game to see them. That said I do understand the point about pay TV versus Licensed TV/Free to Air.

But if you take the free to air argument out of it, I think Sky's presentation has been so much more Rachel Wyse.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 16, 2016, 09:22:25 AM
I think that's the case for both codes Apples. Sky's coverage is positive, informative and Rachel Wyse. Now I prefer the hurling men on RTE to their football counterparts, but Ger Lock is starting to go down the Spillane road a bit. Every so often his natural love for hurling drags him back, but he looks like a lad that wants to be controversial. So much of RTE's analysis seems artificial and designed to drive controversy. Given that they have employed Dunphy, Brolly and Hook on their 3 main sports, it appears to be formulaic and intentional.

The problem with Sky is that only a relative few have Sky Sports in Ireland, and so any exclusive games they have are going to be unavailable to large amounts of people. I'm a bit blasé about that, partly because I have Sky, but mainly because those games were not available to people until relatively recently, you had to go to the game to see them. That said I do understand the point about pay TV versus Licensed TV/Free to Air.

But if you take the free to air argument out of it, I think Sky's presentation has been so much more Rachel Wyse.
The 2 straights and one clown formula is knackered.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: seafoid on August 16, 2016, 09:45:45 AM

The 2 straights and one clown formula is knackered.
Old fogeys should be put out to pasture.

Eddie Brennan is excellent and McGrath isn't bad. Henry will never upset anyone. Sheedy is still relevant

Asal Mor

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 16, 2016, 09:14:50 AM
I'm about to get controversial here, I watched both Semi Finals on Sky. Commentary was a joy compared to RTE and Nicky English, JJ and Ollie are refreshing to listen too. RTE need to up their game.
I always watch on Sky now, when the choice is available. Much better analysis and no Canning, Spillane, Carney, Loughnane, Tommy Carr, Mulcahy etc.

johnneycool

you'd have loved RTÉ's camogie analysts on Saturday then!!!

Jeepers Creepers

Skys HD coverage is far superior although Jamsie O'Connors suit nearly made me turn it over on saturday!

Minder

Never mind the coverage the fact that almost all of RTEs coverage this year has been on RTE1, with no HD, is reason enough to pick Sky (if you have it)

theskull1

I've RTE HD on my Panasonic PVR box using freeview (or whatever its called)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Minder

Quote from: theskull1 on August 16, 2016, 02:52:11 PM

There is HD on RTE2 but I don't think there is on RTE1?

Applesisapples

Quote from: Minder on August 16, 2016, 03:32:48 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on August 16, 2016, 02:52:11 PM

There is HD on RTE2 but I don't think there is on RTE1?
I have it on my Panasonic TV, but the Sky commentary in particular is good and Nicky English actually watches the game and gets the calls right. On RTE you have Marty and Ger trying to commentate through the medium of rhyming slang.