Mc Hughs call for radical fix for club football

Started by Rawhide, January 12, 2010, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rawhide

I read in todays Irish News that Mc Hugh wants a 36 team Ulster club championship, with the county champions entering the compo with a home draw in the third round. The beaten finalists entering the compo in the second round and the beaten club semi finalists entering in the first round. This means a 36 club competition starting in September. To meet this fixture demand he wants the football and hurling intercounty championships finished in August to give more time to club football. He argues that this will give more emphasis to club football because of the amount of teams who can play in the provincial series as well as the amount of new revenue that it can generate for clubs. He also wants club football to start in Feb, alternating each Sunday with county fixtures.

The club championship idea is certainly a novel idea and one that could be implimented if the will was there. Would it demeen the provincial club championship, i don't think so, it would make it IMO opinion more attrcative and valuable.

The idea of club and county alternating each week from Feb onwards with league games is a good idea alos but not practical. Alot of club pitches would not be playable around this time of the year.

Would the suits in Croker agree to finishing the county claendar in August, are financial reasons the main reason for not doing so.

Overall sound suggestions that would could get a good debate going around a genuine concern for many gaels, at a time when people fear how our club structure could survive in these challenging times of club verses county.
cccc is a true supporter lol

Zulu

QuoteHe argues that this will give more emphasis to club football because of the amount of teams who can play in the provincial series as well as the amount of new revenue that it can generate for clubs. He also wants club football to start in Feb, alternating each Sunday with county fixtures.

So he wants the club season to run from Feb to Dec? And alternating the club with county fixtures is complete nonsense, how would a county team get any momentum if it only had players every second week? And what about IC players getting a break, or dual code clubs? Not to mention the fact that bad weather or a bereavement at a club would cause fixture chaos.

INDIANA

Quote from: Zulu on January 12, 2010, 11:09:03 AM
QuoteHe argues that this will give more emphasis to club football because of the amount of teams who can play in the provincial series as well as the amount of new revenue that it can generate for clubs. He also wants club football to start in Feb, alternating each Sunday with county fixtures.

So he wants the club season to run from Feb to Dec? And alternating the club with county fixtures is complete nonsense, how would a county team get any momentum if it only had players every second week? And what about IC players getting a break, or dual code clubs? Not to mention the fact that bad weather or a bereavement at a club would cause fixture chaos.

True but more eveidence again of how we're moving towards the semi-professional and near professional model at IC sooner rather than later. Something has to give.

Rawhide

Perhaps the idea of starting the club scene in Feb in unreasonable, but his main thrust is about greater provision for club games and certainly his suggestion of the provincial club series being available to 36 teams is viable

ha ha derry

Do most county boards not struggle with the fixtures they already have ?

Rawhide

Ha ha, they do, but the provincial championship of 36 teams would be run by the provincial council, therefore ot would get played.

Zulu

But what about bad weather, or the fact that some counties struggle to get their championships played off, what about teh IC players who are playing in the AI semi-finals or final? We need to stop looking on the IC scene as the big bad wolf and instead look at club and IC structures as a whole. The problem as I see it, is that there is no seperstion for anyone from any teams and therefore good players are being pulled from pillar to post with the added problem that they are screwing up everyone else's competitions.

Take McHugh's suggestion for example, a minor footballer has just finished playing minor, U21 and senior for his club and minor for his county all summer and is back in school preparing for his school football and leaving cert. He is now expected to continue to train for his club and travel all over the province on the weekend. Or what about the university footballer, he has a hectic summer behind him and is facing into Sigerson training and is now expected to return home every weekend for games or training? and this is before I even mention dual players. Now I know these lads are in the minority but they are the most talented players and it is unreasonable to ask them to serve so many masters all year. We need to figure out exactly what we want out of our sports because we can't talk of clubs in isolation of schools, colleges and counties.

haranguerer

Quote from: INDIANA on January 12, 2010, 11:12:14 AM
Quote from: Zulu on January 12, 2010, 11:09:03 AM

True but more eveidence again of how we're moving towards the semi-professional and near professional model at IC sooner rather than later. Something has to give.

I think if a competition like this was introduced, it would be likely to speed the arrival of professionalism (something which is inevitable imo, and will be good for the game, but thats for another thread).

With the overall set-up as it is at the minute, it is easy to forecast the demise of the clubs; however, imo, were there moves towards professionalism (which wont be for a while yet), I think it would be through the clubs, and probably somewhat at the demise of the IC, initally at least, rather than vice-versa. A competition like the one McHugh proposes, would be how I could see top level gaelic being played in years to come, but as the main competition, not as an alteration to the current club championship. Intercounty games would still be important, but not the be-all and end-all; similar to internationals in Soccer.

There are problems with the system he proposes, as outlined by others, but many of these are because he has tried to fit it around the existing system, presumably so that it wouldnt be called a 'radical' fix (some hope in conservative GAA circles! :P).

ha ha derry

Quote from: Rawhide on January 12, 2010, 11:44:46 AM
Ha ha, they do, but the provincial championship of 36 teams would be run by the provincial council, therefore ot would get played.

I,m just basing my opinion on the way the Ulster leagues are working. If the respective county boards work with the Ulster council it might work, but I see no evidence of that to date. Even last year (2009) our club were involved in the Ulster hc semi and ended up having to play it 4 days after our county final replay. Multiply the problem by a factor of five. Trouble.

AFS

Quote from: haranguerer on January 12, 2010, 01:38:58 PM
With the overall set-up as it is at the minute, it is easy to forecast the demise of the clubs; however, imo, were there moves towards professionalism (which wont be for a while yet), I think it would be through the clubs, and probably somewhat at the demise of the IC, initally at least, rather than vice-versa.

Are you for real? How many GAA clubs do you know of that are anywhere near wealthy enough to support professionalism?

tbrick18

Quote from: AFS on January 12, 2010, 01:59:11 PM
With the overall set-up as it is at the minute, it is easy to forecast the demise of the clubs; however, imo, were there moves towards professionalism (which wont be for a while yet), I think it would be through the clubs, and probably somewhat at the demise of the IC, initally at least, rather than vice-versa.

Are you for real? How many GAA clubs do you know of that are anywhere near wealthy enough to support professionalism?

You just beat me to it.
IMO a ridiculous idea. Imagine a club team from north antrim having to play a club team from south cork. Fixed for somewhere in the midlands....so both teams have to travel and incur the costs of hotels etc....and potentially would have to do the same in 2 weeks time. No club I know of could afford that investment in one team, given all the other teams that exist within a club.
The club-county alternating weekly would never work either. Injuries, training, work....just not practical.
Stupid idea....but it was McHugh I suppose so not really surprised.

BennyHarp

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 12, 2010, 02:10:00 PM
Quote from: AFS on January 12, 2010, 01:59:11 PM

You just beat me to it.
IMO a ridiculous idea. Imagine a club team from north antrim having to play a club team from south cork. Fixed for somewhere in the midlands....so both teams have to travel and incur the costs of hotels etc....and potentially would have to do the same in 2 weeks time. No club I know of could afford that investment in one team, given all the other teams that exist within a club.
The club-county alternating weekly would never work either. Injuries, training, work....just not practical.
Stupid idea....but it was McHugh I suppose so not really surprised.

Is the suggestion not for a provincial club championship??

And as for this rubbish about burn out and too many games, assuming its a knock out, half the clubs will only get one extra game (bar replays) and only two will have a maximum of 5 extra games! I dont know a footballer who would moan about having to play a provincial club quarter final, semi final or final! Are any of the cookstown lads annoyed they reached the all ireland intermediate semi? I think it has the potential to be a great idea - and i for one would welcome the AI series finishing in August - fits in better with my holidays!!
That was never a square ball!!

AFS

It's a crap idea. At the minute there are county champions that only make half arsed attempts at the provincial championship because a county title was their only real goal, and the Ulster championship is just a bonus. Beaten semi-finalists and finalists would give even less of a shit about it.

Rawhide

Quote from: AFS on January 12, 2010, 02:35:45 PM
It's a crap idea. At the minute there are county champions that only make half arsed attempts at the provincial championship because a county title was their only real goal, and the Ulster championship is just a bonus. Beaten semi-finalists and finalists would give even less of a shit about it.

the same priciple was applied to the county teams and they didn't turn their noses up at it. Your making an very big assumption, maybe you know your club team wouldn't give a hoot, but I know ours would.

BennyHarp

Quote from: AFS on January 12, 2010, 02:35:45 PM

Maybe for some clubs - but other clubs have higher ambitions. Just because "some clubs" dont care about the provincial championship - doesnt mean this is a bad idea! I dont agree with all his proposals (i.e. the club running on alternate weeks with inter county) but i genuinely think there is some merit here - for example, would bellaghy not relish the chance of playing Ballinderry again in an ulster club final if they'd been beaten in the county semi? Would another armagh club (maybe mullaghbawn) not have been interested to see how they would have fared if given a run at a championship away from Crossmaglen? Like i said, its not perfect but i think it has some merit and I would be interested in seeing it tried!
That was never a square ball!!