Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: gammysolo on October 16, 2016, 04:07:30 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on October 16, 2016, 03:29:02 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 16, 2016, 02:33:00 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on October 16, 2016, 01:55:59 PM
Would dublin have won the all they have these last few years on Leitrims budget?
No. Carry on.

Carry on.

It simply rubbishes the narrative of Dublin have a unique team who are so special that money and resources have nothing to do with their success.

They had an edge in last years semi reply because they had an excellent recovery prog inbetween the two games whilst we didnt have such a prog because of resources and logistical problems with our bucks scattered all over the country. Why is there such a reluctance to accept the reality.its not an excuse its just the truth.

have to agree with this. With dublin players not working and getting meals delivered to them. Tough on the mayo players having to work the monday after and cramped into a bus straight after game. Dubs were definiely fresher the next day

Who doesn't work?

larryin89

See it just escalates into a slagging match and i believe gammysolo is being sarcastic btw .

Pointless debate so long as Dublin supporters are not willing to be objective rather than ultra  defensive .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

INDIANA

Quote from: larryin89 on October 16, 2016, 06:13:44 PM
See it just escalates into a slagging match and i believe gammysolo is being sarcastic btw .

Pointless debate so long as Dublin supporters are not willing to be objective rather than ultra  defensive .

Dublin supporters talk with unerring accuracy on the subject

Its our country brethren who talk in banal inaccurate riddles on the subject Larry

Thy Kingdom Come

Quote from: heffo on October 16, 2016, 05:15:42 PM
Would dublin have won the all they have these last few years on Leitrims budget?
No. Carry on.

Carry on.

It simply rubbishes the narrative of Dublin have a unique team who are so special that money and resources have nothing to do with their success.

They had an edge in last years semi reply because they had an excellent recovery prog inbetween the two games whilst we didnt have such a prog because of resources and logistical problems with our bucks scattered all over the country. Why is there such a reluctance to accept the reality.its not an excuse its just the truth.

have to agree with this. With dublin players not working and getting meals delivered to them. Tough on the mayo players having to work the monday after and cramped into a bus straight after game. Dubs were definiely fresher the next day

Who doesn't work?

Since you are knowledgeable on the subject, name the players who do? I'm looking forward to their names and job titles?

heffo

Quote from: Thy Kingdom Come on October 16, 2016, 06:46:07 PM
No. Carry on.

Carry on.

Who doesn't work?

Since you are knowledgeable on the subject, name the players who do? I'm looking forward to their names and job titles?

Didn't claim to be much at all and the burden of proof hardly rests with me. All of their occupations are listed on Dublingaa.ie - no full time Ex-Ulster Bank pros among them

INDIANA

No. Carry on.

Carry on.

Who doesn't work?

Put up the Kerry players? You've had professional GAA players since the 70's with them having jobs in name only

Lar Naparka

Quote from: armaghniac on October 16, 2016, 02:50:53 PM
If Dublin have the population of  a province then they would be expected to have the same number of talented players as a province.  Claiming that a few good players just happened to come along is an insult to our intelligence.
Yeah, that's my problem, pure and simple.
All you get when this topic is brought up is snide comments and sarcasm masquerading as logic from those who see nothing wrong with the current setup.
But there's a serious side issue with the Dublin model and it's going to have serious, long term consequences for the GAA as an organisation.

I did a quick check here and without spending much time on it, I came up with a total of fifteen counties whose combined population was less than that of Dublin.

So, in spite of that, we are being asked to accept that Dublin is just another county; nothing remarkable about it apart from the fact that they just happen to have a good team.
Each of the fifteen has its own competitions and structures, reaching down to the lowest age level. There may not be an awful lot of youngsters at any age level but a far higher percentage for those counties will stay involved in the GAA for much longer than the majority of their counterparts in Dublin will. Sure kids will always drop out of any sort as they grow older but the problem is greatly exacerbated in Dublin where clubs like Ballyboden have hordes of kiddies, more than the combined number in many less populated counties.
Clubs will always have young players dropping out for one reason or another as they get older but with Dublin's superclubs many more are dropped because there's simply no room for them as the number of teams fielded at u14s and upwards decrease as the age level rises.
But soccer doesn't follow the pyramid model of the GAA and there are assloads of competitions for all ages and abilities. I've had this problem in my own household some years ago. My kid and a few of his pals joined Ballyboden and the craic was 90 up until they found that u15 level a couple was no longer deeded. So they all dropped out and had no problem getting a game every weekend with one or other of the local soccer clubs.
None of them felt particularly fond of the club they played with. I suppose most of them will wear the Dub jersey and go for a few lagers with their mates from the QF stage onwards but there is no conscious involvement with the GAA.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

The Aristocrat

Your right Indiana, no point debating with ignorance and 31 county bias. Best to just ignore.

I wonder how many of this board have done something to assist their own county rather than spouting on boards with BS.

tonto1888

No. Carry on.

Carry on.

Who doesn't work?

it has been put up before if you care to look. Probably doesnt suit your argument to look though

AZOffaly

If the money makes no difference, then give it back, and let someone else have it.

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 17, 2016, 10:35:45 AM
If the money makes no difference, then give it back, and let someone else have it.

I assume you're referring to the Mayo management team?

Buttofthehill

Are people trying to say the Dublin players don't work for a living? I happen to share a staff room with one high profile player and I don't think he is here for the craic.

dublin7

Quote from: Buttofthehill on October 17, 2016, 10:39:48 AM
Are people trying to say the Dublin players don't work for a living? I happen to share a staff room with one high profile player and I don't think he is here for the craic.

Cian O'Sullivan recently got a promotion with PWC so he obviously must be working during the day.  We had Kieran Donaghy & Darran O'Sullivan quitting work to focus on football, but lets all focus on the dubs and fiction and ignore everybody else.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/darran-o-sullivan-puts-kerry-front-and-centre-1.2081734

Lar Naparka

Quote from: dublin7 on October 17, 2016, 10:57:12 AM
Quote from: Buttofthehill on October 17, 2016, 10:39:48 AM

Cian O'Sullivan recently got a promotion with PWC so he obviously must be working during the day.  We had Kieran Donaghy & Darran O'Sullivan quitting work to focus on football, but lets all focus on the dubs and fiction and ignore everybody else.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/darran-o-sullivan-puts-kerry-front-and-centre-1.2081734
I don't know what point you are attempting to make here but, whatever it is, it's well wide of the mark.
I'm not getting involved in any hassle about where the income of any player, Dub or any others is coming from as I don't know anything about anybody.

But I take it that you are claiming that Darran O'Sullivan is getting paid by the Kerry County Board so that he can concentrate on football.
Otherwise, what you are claiming makes no sense at all.
That doesn't come across in this article you refer to.
Dunno how he gets money, probably gone back to the family farm or the likes but there is no mention here of any help from the county board.
So that dog won't bark for you, in a manner of speaking.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

AZOffaly

Quote from: heffo on October 17, 2016, 10:36:57 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 17, 2016, 10:35:45 AM

I assume you're referring to the Mayo management team?

I don't give a flying f*ck what people spend on their senior teams. I'm talking about Coaching and Development monies that Dublin receive. If it doesn't make a difference, give it back. Of course I'm being facetious. I know it makes a difference, and I know they are spending it very wisely. It just gets on my tits when people pretend it has nothing to do with the quality of player Dublin can produce.