Author Topic: No Country for Women - RTE1  (Read 892 times)

easytiger95

• View Profile
Re: No Country for Women - RTE1
« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:06:53 AM »
Saw the documentary, it was a really great piece of work, I think.

I loved the approach of using Lavinia Kerwick, not as a narrator or as a guide, but more of a witness to the horrors she and others endured.

Well worth watching the next instalments.

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Today at 10:52:12 AM »
Saw the documentary, it was a really great piece of work, I think.

I loved the approach of using Lavinia Kerwick, not as a narrator or as a guide, but more of a witness to the horrors she and others endured.

Well worth watching the next instalments.

Glad to see her looking and appearing to be well after all she was put through.

IolarCoisCuain

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Today at 08:49:49 PM »
The men of 1916 established a democracy, where women had the same vote as men. If that is what people wanted then that is a fair outcome of 1916.

What about the women of 1916? The rest of your post displays similar ignorance....I'd advise you have a watch if you can access the documentary. The treatment of women by the Republic of Ireland government since 1922 has been totally scandalous and vastly at odds with the ideals of those brave people who fought in 1916.

I didn't know that the men of '16 were woke as well as everything else. Most of them were shot before women got the vote, so the news that a patriarchal, Church-dominated state would have been a horror to them comes as news to me.

Can you point me to where I can read up on Padraig Pearse's attitude towards the patriarchy, or Thomas Clarke's opinion on LGBTQ issues? Where can I learn about what Eamon Ceannt believed with regard to intersectional feminism, or find out JM Plunkett's views on toxic masculinity? I want to learn.