Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: weareros on December 06, 2017, 06:17:57 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 06, 2017, 05:40:36 PM
Simon Jenkins

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/05/theresa-may-dup-eu-deal-minority-party

"Fudge is good only if it tastes sweet. Theresa May's deal with the EU on Irish border trade is apparently too bitter for Ulster's Democratic Unionist party to stomach. Yesterday they wielded a veto. A British government at an international summit was humiliated by a minority partypursuing a minority point of view. It is why governments should never rely on extremist parties. The DUP has three days to make amends, or a terrible vengeance should be taken on them.

It does not matter that the DUP is hypocritical. Decades of Westminster indulging its political primitivism have come home to roost. Unionists have demanded separatism on education, trade, corporate taxes, abortion, homosexuality and a host of pet issues, yet they want to call themselves "British". They are Irish."

Go on my son

Jaysus when you see the head of a buck like that calling the DUP Irish, you know the Brits are getting mad.
You would be mad if your standard of living was reduced because of the antics of a bunch of backward religious  arseholes.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

haranguerer

England should pay for their resettlement

seafoid

For years Unionists looked down on Taigs. For years England was progressive and modern

Now it is all different. I was looking at twitter profiles last year

@MFennellyKK
Lecturer in LIT & Setanta college ,playing the best Sport in the world - Hurling. Fashion, box set & Film Lover. Ambassador for @LahartsSkoda @ChiaBiaseed @Sure
My word is my bond

Michael Duignan ‏@DuignanMichael  7 nov.
Brought one of my fav ever hurlers on holidays! Great read, inspirational & moving. @kenmcgrath78 @dawnmcg1 #respect

Niall McNamee ‏@niallmc14  22 oct.
Extremely honoured to speak at @officialgaa Health & Wellbeing conference today & to spend time with wonderful people

the UK is sad now

omaghjoe

Quote from: seafoid on December 06, 2017, 07:48:50 PM
For years Unionists looked down on Taigs. For years England was progressive and modern

@MFennellyKK
Lecturer in LIT & Setanta college ,playing the best Sport in the world - Hurling. Fashion, box set & Film Lover. Ambassador for @LahartsSkoda @ChiaBiaseed @Sure
My word is my bond

Brought one of my fav ever hurlers on holidays! Great read, inspirational & moving. @kenmcgrath78 @dawnmcg1 #respect

Extremely honoured to speak at @officialgaa Health & Wellbeing conference today & to spend time with wonderful people

the UK is sad now

Seafoid this is precisely the kind of post that makes me suspect your a bot

No one sentence in that post relates to the previous one

seafoid

Quote from: omaghjoe on December 06, 2017, 08:08:21 PM

@MFennellyKK
My word is my bond

the UK is sad now

Maybe it is over your head, Joe
Why would a bot be interested in the gaaboard? The case is not plausible 

seafoid

The EU aren't buying the DUP line that Ireland is the problem. It is put up or shut up time. 
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/06/uk-has-48-hours-to-agree-potential-deal-or-brexit-talks-cannot-progress

..the EU's chief Brexit negotiator, has told member states that the British government has just 48 hours to agree a text on a potential deal or it will be told that negotiations will not move on to the next stage.

Barnier informed EU ambassadors that Downing Street had told him that a potential solution was being worked out that could possibly satisfy both Northern Ireland's Democratic Unionist party and the Republic of Ireland, but that it had yet to be signed off by any of those involved.

Another meeting of diplomats of the 27 member states has been pencilled in for Friday evening, should the UK find an agreement with the DUP on a solution to avoiding a hard border on the island of Ireland.

If the UK fails to agree a joint position with the European commission by Friday, the member states informed Barnier that they would not have time to take it back to their capitals for scrutiny ahead of next week's critical European council meeting.

Chancellor says UK will pay Brexit bill even if it fails to get free trade deal

Read more

In that scenario, the leaders would once again rule that insufficient progress had been made on the opening issues of citizens' rights, the financial settlement and the Irish border for talks on trade and a transition period to start.

Advertisement

A failure to move talks on in December would mean that the terms of a transition period could potentially only be discussed after the next European council summit of leaders in March, by which key businesses in the UK will have had to make decisions over their location and investments in the country.

Guardian Today: the headlines, the analysis, the debate - sent direct to you

Read more

It is possible that the leaders would call an emergency summit in January or February to agree to move talks on and discuss the terms of a transition period. But the longer it takes the British government to offer certainty over trading terms after March 2019, firms will make decisions that will cost the British economy.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

omaghjoe

Quote from: seafoid on December 06, 2017, 09:29:25 PM

@MFennellyKK
My word is my bond

the UK is sad now

There is multiple routes from one sentence to the next Seafoid prehaps you could enlighten us instead of making it a guessing game. This is not poetry

imtommygunn

Joe how can you not see the relevance of things like michael duignan buying ken mcgrath's book ;D  ;D

Bot.

vallankumous

Quote from: NetNitrate on December 06, 2017, 04:42:01 PM

I think you are giving the British way too much credit. Their approach has been more Basil Fawlty than anything. No doubt Ireland are in the waters with sharks, between the EU and the UK. If it wasn't all so serious, there's a certain amusement in the DUP making Ireland out to be the most vicious shark of the lot.

I didn't give them the credit. This is a joint up thing. When the UK negotiators are negotiating something they don't want to happen with the EU who don't want it to happen on behalf of people who don't want it to happen, they all get the credit.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: seafoid on December 06, 2017, 09:29:25 PM

@MFennellyKK
My word is my bond

the UK is sad now

Could you explain the post then please, because I don't understand it either?

StGallsGAA

Seafoid..... drugs ruin families and communities.  It's just not worth it son. 

johnneycool

Simon Jenkins

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/05/theresa-may-dup-eu-deal-minority-party

"Fudge is good only if it tastes sweet. Theresa May's deal with the EU on Irish border trade is apparently too bitter for Ulster's Democratic Unionist party to stomach. Yesterday they wielded a veto. A British government at an international summit was humiliated by a minority partypursuing a minority point of view. It is why governments should never rely on extremist parties. The DUP has three days to make amends, or a terrible vengeance should be taken on them.

It does not matter that the DUP is hypocritical. Decades of Westminster indulging its political primitivism have come home to roost. Unionists have demanded separatism on education, trade, corporate taxes, abortion, homosexuality and a host of pet issues, yet they want to call themselves "British". They are Irish."

Go on my son

Jaysus when you see the head of a buck like that calling the DUP Irish, you know the Brits are getting mad.

But its the last line of the very same article that annoys the f**k out of me;

Northern Ireland cannot stop it.

It's not Northern Ireland it's the DUP and that message needs to get across from the rest of the parties in NI.

Michelle is beginning to make those soundings, but she needs to do it louder and to a wider audience. The SDLP and Alliance also. The UUP, who the f**k knows what they're at with Brexit.
Even Sylvia Hermon has called out this narrative.

I still don't get how "unionist" business leaders who trade outside the wee six aren't jumping up and down on the DUP for pulling the plug on a deal that would have meant a little more red tape when shipping to GB but at least the whole of the European union market would remain pretty seamless.

seafoid

seafoid

Quote from: johnneycool on December 07, 2017, 09:26:07 AM
Simon Jenkins

Go on my son

But its the last line of the very same article that annoys the f**k out of me;

Northern Ireland cannot stop it.

It's not Northern Ireland it's the DUP and that message needs to get across from the rest of the parties in NI.

Michelle is beginning to make those soundings, but she needs to do it louder and to a wider audience. The SDLP and Alliance also. The UUP, who the f**k knows what they're at with Brexit.
Even Sylvia Hermon has called out this narrative.

I still don't get how "unionist" business leaders who trade outside the wee six aren't jumping up and down on the DUP for pulling the plug on a deal that would have meant a little more red tape when shipping to GB but at least the whole of the European union market would remain pretty seamless.
Business should be a lot more vocal about the damage that Brexit will cause