The Late Late show

Started by T O Hare, January 30, 2009, 01:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

That was excellent with Finbarr and Christy Dignam.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

An Watcher

Flip sake when's O'Neill on but yes I have to agree finbarr n dignam were excellent there

BennyCake

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 20, 2017, 10:17:09 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on January 20, 2017, 10:09:48 PM
Who is that p***k acting Trump? He's about as funny as a kick in the goolies.

Oliver Callan...Paul Galvin smacked him in a pub in Dublin one night...didnt hit the p***k hard enough..

Good man, Galvin.

moysider

Quote from: hardstation on January 20, 2017, 11:40:17 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on January 20, 2017, 11:17:39 PM
Flip sake when's O'Neill on but yes I have to agree finbarr n dignam were excellent there
O'Neill is on the Late Late? FFS, why was this not in the bulletin?

Which O Neill? What bulletin??

laoislad

That was the best Late Late in a long time.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tubberman

If they stick to covering Irish stories, it's a decent show and occasionally excellent.
When they go chasing the cast-offs from Graham Norton & Jonathan Ross, it's a terrible show.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Tony Baloney

Aye good show tonight. Tubs no good with big celebs or sportspeople but some really great stuff with Finbarr and Christy.

5 Sams

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 21, 2017, 12:25:52 AM
Aye good show tonight. Tubs no good with big celebs or sportspeople but some really great stuff with Finbarr and Christy.

100%. We give out about them wheeling people out of the RTE canteen for the Late Late...these lads are way above all that shite...could listen to them all night...
The Aristocrat Years

yellowcard

Rarely watch the Late Late show but I'll be tuning in to watch tonight's show on the RTE player. Great line up of guests. Would love to see a one off show where all of the old legends of Irish music came together. That rendition of The Green Fields of France was magical, sorry I missed it live but it was seriously gutsy of Christy Dignam to duet Finbar Fureys own song and I thought he pulled off a great job considering.

BennyCake

Great viewing with Finbar Furey and Christy Dignam, and the other night with Paddy Maloney and John Sheehan. Makes you wonder, when this generation goes, who will be regards as Ireland's National Treasures? Thon p***k Callan? Yer man from One Direction? Panti Bliss?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: BennyCake on January 21, 2017, 07:28:17 PM
Makes you wonder, when this generation goes, who will be regards as Ireland's National Treasures? Thon p***k Callan? Yer man from One Direction? Panti Bliss?
The moron luvvies in the media already regard Panti as such, it's a depressing thought about the media bubble and how it'll go in the future.

JoG2

Quote from: Owenmoresider on January 22, 2017, 12:06:44 PM
Makes you wonder, when this generation goes, who will be regards as Ireland's National Treasures? Thon p***k Callan? Yer man from One Direction? Panti Bliss?
The moron luvvies in the media already regard Panti as such, it's a depressing thought about the media bubble and how it'll go in the future.

We'll (and for every generation to come)  have the likes of Finbar, Christy and all the great irish singers,  writers on cd,  mp3,  vinyl to enjoy when wanted and needed.  These other fly by nights will come and go

BennyCake

Quote from: JoG2 on January 22, 2017, 12:20:04 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on January 22, 2017, 12:06:44 PM

We'll (and for every generation to come)  have the likes of Finbar, Christy and all the great irish singers,  writers on cd,  mp3,  vinyl to enjoy when wanted and needed.  These other fly by nights will come and go

Yeah but eventually that will fade. How many today listen to, or even know of, John McCormack? Time will go on, and fewer will know of The Clancy's and Tommy Makem, Dubliners, fureys etc. there's few about today that will be able to take up the mantle from Christy Moore, Finbar Furey, John Sheehan etc.

On a positive note though, maybe TLLS has realised it's going down the tubes and the only way to save it is to ditch the reality tv nobody's and soap stars and put on the quality performers from their own country. Bring it on though. The LLS has become a joke. But the more guests like these guys, the better.

mrdeeds

Unfortunately more guests like that will lower ratings. You'll find the Valentines special with a drunk audience and guests will be one of its top ratings. What would improve it regardless of guests would be a better presenter who doesn't stick to the script and can have a natural conversation.

balladmaker

Was all going grand until Sharon Shannon appeared accompanying Finbar Furey ... seriously, I can't understand the coverage she gets at every opportunity for all that she adds to the performance.  If there's a vacant spot, the default seems to be to call Sharon Shannon.

Looking forward to seeing Christy Dignam next weekend in Dublin.

Finbar Furey gave a good performance, compared to the one he gave when on the same show just before Christmas with his version of the Little Drummer Boy, that was grim.  He nailed the Green Field's of France, as he'd be expected to.

If the Late Late stick to showcasing Irish performers, it will be a step in the right direction but I won't hold my breath on that one.