Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictommy

Standard in the county isn't where it was, back to basics needed. We can't keep thinking where we are is good enough to compete in Ulster let alone All-Ireland series.

Cuan - Right about refs, not sure who ppl class as good this year but they can change a games complexion.

Mourne Rover

Donegal apparently won by two.  There will be plenty of suggestions about the team for Armagh, and Ed Hardy is entitled to his ideas. However, Maginn is still a likely starter with Havern and Mallon there or thereabouts. If McArdle and Flynn are fit, they are in the same category. The biggest question is whether O'Hagan, probably our best player, is asked to mark Clarke in the corner or kept at his natural position at wing half. Midfield is a problem no matter what we do so packing the sector may be our best option.

Square Ball

Is the Down v Armagh game an all ticket
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Ed Hardy

Ryan Johnston ruled out of armagh game. Big blow, either as a starter or to come off the bench.

Nanderson

Anyone care to hazzard a guess at the team for Sunday. I don't expect many changes from the league unless the friendlies unearthed something special

1. Burns
2. Collins (man mark clarke)
3. Wells
4. McAleenan
5. Laverty
6. Flanagan
7. O'Hagan
8. Mooney
9. Flynn
10. Guiness
11. Maginn
12. McGrady
13. J Johnston
14. O'Hare
15. McKernan

urbangael

That team won't beat Armagh. We just aren't good enough and we will get the usual it's a work in progress story!

Mourne Rover

Nanderson does not say which of the Guinness brothers he is suggesting. Both are well in contention, as are Poland, Havern, Harrison and a couple of others, so there will be a few tight selection calls along the way. Tally is more than capable of shaking up the team that finished the league.

charlieTully

Quote from: hardstation on May 15, 2019, 10:00:59 PM
Is the usual not that you hound the manager out with a belief that your players are good enough if you had the correct management team in place?

Fcuk off back to casement.... oops

Brick Tamlin

You are right. It was common to point finger at management whilst citing that the players were good enough and just needed the right man in place.
But im afraid to say time has moved on and its one of the poorest Down panels in recent memory. Tally is the right man to oversee the development and he is as good as we are going to get in Down for the foreseeable.
The players might come good in time and surprise a few people but i really cant see it. Lean times will continue for Down as far as the modern game is concerned. The calibre of footballer just doesnt exist in the county anymore as far as i can see. Efforts are being made in terms of grassroots and structures but we probably wont see those fruits for maybe another 10yrs at best.

but he was also right....you should f**k away off back to Antrim.

Aristo 60

I'm in Antrim and I want the f**k out of it!

outinfront

Hoganstand-esque debate there lads!

Ambrose

Quote from: Mourne Rover on May 15, 2019, 11:34:15 PM
Tally is more than capable of shaking up the team that finished the league.

Shame he hadn't given them a bit of a shake before the league finished.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Lotto

Quote from: Ambrose on May 16, 2019, 06:39:35 PM
Quote from: Mourne Rover on May 15, 2019, 11:34:15 PM
Tally is more than capable of shaking up the team that finished the league.

Shame he hadn't given them a bit of a shake before the league finished.

Seriously for a man with such a reputation for being a 'players manager' I'm yet to hear many positive comments about him as a man manager, well apart from his 'love child' Kevin Mc Kernan. Players walking away wouldn't indicate that he is as special as he thinks he is. He has replaced Mark Reid with the Burren sub goalkeeper, what the hell is that all about? I hear there were 5 Carryduff players leading the show against Donegal in Tullylish last week and with total respect to Carryduff, if we are relying on some of those players to beat Armagh then we have very little chance. We have a very average defence, inadequate midfield, I don't include Mooney in that as he is not a midfielder, with an extremely impotent forward line who play in the defence most of the time during games anyway. I read where Tally thinks he is not an overly defensive manager, well I beg to differ and having watched Down play in the league with 12-14 players behind the ball for the majority of games he strikes me as setting a team up very defensively. God help us as I can't see anything other than an Armagh win, I sincerely hope I am wrong though.

OgraAnDun

FFS Lotto get off the fence, would you?

Lotto

Quote from: OgraAnDun on May 16, 2019, 10:09:59 PM
FFS Lotto get off the fence, would you?

You trying to be funny?