GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: johnnycool on September 23, 2020, 12:15:49 PM
I could never see the point in playing the intercounty games behind closed doors in the first place which made me think that the reason the clubs were promoted first was that there was a hope that this would all be over or controlled in time for the IC season to take place in October.

That's not going to be the case so (apart from the risk to the players and officials) is there a chance that we could see the IC season happen behind closed doors but with a PPV option for fans?

Is this too big of a step for some, but considering the relative success of the club games being made available online is this an option?

I think the reason clubs were playing first,, was because the GAA thought the club championships wouldn't get finished before another lockdown.

No point the GAA spending stupid amounts of money promoting the county season only for it to fall on its arse. Better to use the club season as the guinea pig, where the costs are lower, logistics not as big.

Then if all pans out ok, the GAA will look good for accommodating the club season first. If the county season doesn't happen, they still look good, for the same reason. And they've saved a shitload of money.

thewobbler

The GAA played the club season first as the vast majority of registered players play the club game.

Nothing more sinister than that.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: BennyCake on September 23, 2020, 01:25:23 PM
I could never see the point in playing the intercounty games behind closed doors in the first place which made me think that the reason the clubs were promoted first was that there was a hope that this would all be over or controlled in time for the IC season to take place in October.

That's not going to be the case so (apart from the risk to the players and officials) is there a chance that we could see the IC season happen behind closed doors but with a PPV option for fans?

Is this too big of a step for some, but considering the relative success of the club games being made available online is this an option?

I think the reason clubs were playing first,, was because the GAA thought the club championships wouldn't get finished before another lockdown.

No point the GAA spending stupid amounts of money promoting the county season only for it to fall on its arse. Better to use the club season as the guinea pig, where the costs are lower, logistics not as big.

Then if all pans out ok, the GAA will look good for accommodating the club season first. If the county season doesn't happen, they still look good, for the same reason. And they've saved a shitload of money.

Whats the logistical difference?

armaghniac

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 23, 2020, 02:03:12 PM

Eh, clubs play only in their own county or even within part of their county, their games are not that far away.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Well, you have lots of things in the county game, you wouldn't necessarily have in the club game, or things needed on a bigger scale

Sponsors will want their monies worth, not a half finished championship. There's the money involved in setting up and accommodating the tv/media. TV coverage/contracts. I'd imagine there are implications with sponsors/contracts if the championship couldn't be finished. Sanitising stadiums, hiring of emergency services. Promotion/advertising of games would be on a bigger scale too.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: armaghniac on September 23, 2020, 02:18:22 PM

Eh, clubs play only in their own county or even within part of their county, their games are not that far away.
Down hurlers are meant to play Derry in the league final in October in Croke Park. Players can't travel together, can't use the changing rooms or the warm up area before the game. Can't get showered after the game and they're meant to head straight home. There's a fair few issues in that one game alone

thewobbler

There's not so many issues if the game was rearranged for the Dub in Belfast.

Would anyone really want to play in Croke in front of 400 spectators?

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: thewobbler on September 23, 2020, 03:10:43 PM
There's not so many issues if the game was rearranged for the Dub in Belfast.

Would anyone really want to play in Croke in front of 400 spectators?
I agree. And you could say that about all the proposed intercounty matches. I still think it will all go ahead if there's a bit of sense shown by the GAA with venues

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: armaghniac on September 23, 2020, 02:18:22 PM

So a bit of petrol for team coaches to go further.

That it?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: BennyCake on September 23, 2020, 02:26:23 PM

Well, you have lots of things in the county game, you wouldn't necessarily have in the club game, or things needed on a bigger scale

Sponsors will want their monies worth, not a half finished championship. There's the money involved in setting up and accommodating the tv/media. TV coverage/contracts. I'd imagine there are implications with sponsors/contracts if the championship couldn't be finished. Sanitising stadiums, hiring of emergency services. Promotion/advertising of games would be on a bigger scale too.

None of those are logistical or not required for club games.

Blowitupref

Munster championships fixtures confirmed.

Munster Senior Hurling Championship

Clare v Limerick - Semple Stadium Thurles, Sunday, 25 October at 3.45pm

Cork v Waterford - Semple Stadium Thurles, Saturday 31 October at 3.30pm

Tipperary v Clare or Limerick - LIT Gaelic Grounds or Páirc Uí Chaoimh , Sunday, 1 November at 4pm

Munster Final, Sunday, 15 November at 4pm

Munster Senior Football Championship

Limerick v Waterford - Fraher Field Dungarvan, Saturday 31 October at 7pm

Clare v Tipperary - Semple Stadium Thurles, Sunday 1 November at 1pm

Limerick or Waterford v Clare or Tipperary - Fraher Field Dungarvan, LIT Gaelic Grounds or Cusack Park Ennis, Saturday 7 November at 1.15pm

Cork v Kerry - Páirc Uí Chaoimh, Sunday 8 November at 4pm

Munster Final, Sunday 22 November at 1.30pm

Bord Gáis Energy Munster Hurling Under-20 Championship

Cork v Kerry - Austin Stack Park Tralee, Monday 19 October at 6.30pm 

Clare v Tipperary - Semple Stadium Thurles, Monday 19 October at 7.30pm

Waterford v Clare or Tipperary - Fraher Field Dungarvan or Sixmilebridge, Monday 26 October at 3.15pm 

Limerick v Cork or Kerry - LIT Gaelic Grounds or Austin Stack Park Tralee, Monday 26 October at 5pm 

Munster Final, Wednesday 11 November at 7.30pm

Electric Ireland Munster Hurling Minor Championship

Clare v Cork - Semple Stadium Thurles, Wednesday 11 November at 7.30pm

Kerry v Tipperary - LIT Gaelic Grounds, Sunday 18 October at 1pm

Waterford v Kerry or Tipperary - Páirc Uí Rinn, Friday 30 October at 6.30pm 

Limerick v Clare or Cork - Semple Stadium Thurles, Friday 30 October at 6.30pm 

Munster Minor Hurling Final, Saturday 14 November at 1pm

Electric Ireland Munster Football Minor Championship

Clare v Tipperary  Semple Stadium Thurles, Saturday 24 October at 1pm 

Limerick v Waterford  LIT Gaelic Grounds, Saturday 24 October at 1pm

Cork v Kerry  Fitzgerald Stadium Killarney, Saturday 7 November at 1pm 

Limerick or Waterford v Clare or Tipperary in Fraher Field Dungarvan, LIT Gaelic Grounds or Cusack Park Ennis, Sunday 8 November at 1pm 

Munster Minor Football Final, Saturday 14 November at 1pm   
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Eire90

is it time to call off the championship

Hoof Hearted

Is there anybody seriously looking forward to it ?
Cany get excited about it at all
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Eire90

i was looking forward to tyrone v donegal under lights on  Halloween night but now they playing the game on Sunday and all Ireland final on Saturday completely under lights be interesting.

Main Street

I'm looking forward to Monaghan beating Cavan,  tumbelweed blowing in the terraces won't diminish that pleasure.
But I would like at least 500 spectators there, half to celebrate and half to suffer.