UK General Election 2017

Started by Eamonnca1, April 18, 2017, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 08, 2017, 12:55:32 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 08, 2017, 12:38:42 PM
I think the Tories will win easier than expected, a lot of people do not want to admit that they are Tory voters until it comes to casting their vote. The options are fairly stark also with so few parties and the fact that Labour are further left than normal and the Tories even further right than normal. The liberal democarts are not a viable alternative and tactical voters will discount them on the basis that they can't win in many constituencies in a FPTP system.

Either way though I think the narrative to be taken from this election is that May is a lame duck prime minister who has no conviction, cannot be trusted and has displayed an alarming inability to think on her feet when working off script. Although she will likely increase the governments majority, her own position is dubious in the mid-longer term. I think Corbyn will do enough to survive and if Brexit negotiations do not go as hoped, he could be in a better position to capitalise next time around. Certainly his own personal popularity has benefitted as he has taken all the mud that the media has slung at him and retained his dignity by not wavering.

You not think Corbyn's age is an issue? just checked and he's 68; Thought he was younger than that.

Really?

johnneycool

Quote from: AQMP on June 08, 2017, 01:05:28 PM
I think the Tories will win easier than expected, a lot of people do not want to admit that they are Tory voters until it comes to casting their vote. The options are fairly stark also with so few parties and the fact that Labour are further left than normal and the Tories even further right than normal. The liberal democarts are not a viable alternative and tactical voters will discount them on the basis that they can't win in many constituencies in a FPTP system.

Either way though I think the narrative to be taken from this election is that May is a lame duck prime minister who has no conviction, cannot be trusted and has displayed an alarming inability to think on her feet when working off script. Although she will likely increase the governments majority, her own position is dubious in the mid-longer term. I think Corbyn will do enough to survive and if Brexit negotiations do not go as hoped, he could be in a better position to capitalise next time around. Certainly his own personal popularity has benefitted as he has taken all the mud that the media has slung at him and retained his dignity by not wavering.

You not think Corbyn's age is an issue? just checked and he's 68; Thought he was younger than that.

You've got to remember he was personally directing the IRA campaign in the 1970s.

Younger than Trump and May is no spring chicken either, although she's visibly aged since taking up this poisoned chalice of leading the Tories/UKIP into the great unknown that is Brexit.

yellowcard

It possibly could be an issue alright if he decides so himself but I don't see the party taking steps to replace him. Short term at least, I think he will remain in position as there is a likelihood that the government will not see out it's full term given the volatile nature of the Brexit negotiations over the next 2-3 years. 

Farrandeelin

Quote from: AQMP on June 08, 2017, 01:04:21 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 08, 2017, 12:44:47 PM
Is it the only election in history where, if things go as expected, the winner loses and the loser wins?

This could be a good election to lose ;)

Our GE in 2007 was one as well.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

bennydorano

Quote from: Hardy on June 08, 2017, 12:44:47 PM
Is it the only election in history where, if things go as expected, the winner loses and the loser wins?
Nick Berry foresaw it
https://youtu.be/JyTzmhFQt2o

Maroon Manc

Quote from: yellowcard on June 08, 2017, 01:08:19 PM

It possibly could be an issue alright if he decides so himself but I don't see the party taking steps to replace him. Short term at least, I think he will remain in position as there is a likelihood that the government will not see out it's full term given the volatile nature of the Brexit negotiations over the next 2-3 years.

Obviously there's the chance of the Tories not lasting the term if as expected they get in but surely there will be many within the Labour party who won't want to be relying on that given Corbyn will be 73 if the Tories last the 5 years?

Avondhu star

Do we need old man Corbyn with his finger on the button? 😀
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

screenexile

Quote from: Avondhu star on June 08, 2017, 02:21:16 PM

Trump's 70 and May looks as if she's 70!!!

johnneycool

Corbyn's finger won't be near any button even if he is elected, he's more wit. You can't say that about the lunatic in the White House.

yellowcard

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 08, 2017, 02:12:30 PM

Obviously there's the chance of the Tories not lasting the term if as expected they get in but surely there will be many within the Labour party who won't want to be relying on that given Corbyn will be 73 if the Tories last the 5 years?

There are many within his own parliamentary party who don't want him there already and age is the least of their concerns. If he does as well as the polls suggest though it will be difficult for the next labour leader to be another Tory light Blair type candidate though.

Minder

Quote from: yellowcard on June 08, 2017, 03:32:22 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 08, 2017, 02:12:30 PM

There are many within his own parliamentary party who don't want him there already and age is the least of their concerns. If he does as well as the polls suggest though it will be difficult for the next labour leader to be another Tory light Blair type candidate though.

I think whoever is standing in for Diane Abbott as Shadow Home Secretary resigned from the shadow cabinet before in protest at Corbyns leadership 
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

macdanger2

I'd say corbyn's main aim is not necessarily to become PM but to groom a non-Blairite as the next leader to secure the Labour party as a genuine party of the left for the future

red hander

Quote from: screenexile on June 08, 2017, 02:39:26 PM

Trump's 70 and May looks as if she's 70!!!

Very gallant for a Derry man... but she looks as if she's a lot older than 70  ;)

seafoid

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 08, 2017, 06:33:32 PM
I'd say corbyn's main aim is not necessarily to become PM but to groom a non-Blairite as the next leader to secure the Labour party as a genuine party of the left for the future
Me too. To change the economic system which at this stage is nonsense anyway
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Aaron Boone

The polls were wrong for Cameron's majority in 2015, for Brexit and for Trump. I have a cheeky fiver on Jeremy next PM 7/1.

The first bearded PM in over a century.