UK General Election 2017

Started by Eamonnca1, April 18, 2017, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

John Rentoul‏

LucidTalk projection, N Ireland: DUP 8 seats ±0, UUP 1 -1, Sinn Fein 5 +1, SDLP 3 ±0, Sylvia Hermon (Ind unionist) https://lucidtalk.co.uk/images/News/LTJune17TrackerPollResultsPoll3-GeneralReport.pdf ...
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

A line from the Indo that captures the lunacy of the Conservatives who want a no deal Brexit and have done no preparation for it

"May has sought to portray Corbyn as the weak leader of a spendthrift party which would crash Britain's $2.5 trillion economy and lead the country to ruin in chaotic Brexit negotiations."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

haranguerer

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 07, 2017, 03:30:49 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 07, 2017, 03:29:19 PM
WTF

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/07/brexit-northern-ireland-irish-republic-hard-border-general-election-reunification

"Twelve miles from Belcoo in Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, Tom Elliott says he is not pressed on the doorstep about what the leave vote will mean. Voters are "more concerned about potholes on local roads than Brexit", he adds."

Brexit will mean a lot more than potholes even if wine is still generally available at £5 a bottle

The Unionists are absolutely frazzled over this. They don't know which was to turn. Everything they "know" is wrong.

Toms making sure to talk only to his own brexiteers, but even at that, hes a liar

Rois

I voted this morning too and it went against my usual principles, but as with you AQMP, my vote was motivated by trying to oust Nigel Dodds and I voted for the person I thought had the best chance of doing that (I can't even write it but I'm sure you get my meaning  :) )

ned

Farrandeelin

What time will the votes be counted in NI? Tonight or tomorrow?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Samforever

Count starts tonight after polls close

Hardy

Quote from: Hardy on May 30, 2017, 10:02:57 AM
Quote from: Hardy on May 11, 2017, 02:31:32 PM
Quote from: Hardy on May 04, 2017, 09:24:57 PM
Quote from: Hardy on April 19, 2017, 09:21:25 AM
Betfair
Most seats
Tories 1/11
Lab. 14.5/1
Lib. 40/1
Tory majority 1/5
No majority 5.2/1

Two weeks on the Tories are consolidating strongly:
Most seats
Tories 1/20
Lab. 19/1
Lib. 150/1
Tory majority 1/11
No majority 13.5/1

Latest:
Most seats
Tories 1/33
Lab. 27/1
Lib. 370/1
Tory majority 1/14
No majority 19/1

Update:
Most seats
Tories 1/14
Lab. 13.5/1
Lib. 1000/1
Majority
Tory majority 1/6
No majority 7.5/1

Final betting show:
Most seats
Tories 1/20
Lab. 17.5/1
Lib. 1000/1
Majority
Tory majority 1/6
No majority 7.8/1

Maroon Manc

I know that over here in the North West Labour have apparently put most of their effort into the seats where they hold a small majority, doesn't sound like they have any confidence tonight.

Minder

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 08, 2017, 11:48:18 AM
I know that over here in the North West Labour have apparently put most of their effort into the seats where they hold a small majority, doesn't sound like they have any confidence tonight.

As I said before there is a train of thought that Corbyn knows victory isn't happening and is trying to maximise Labour votes as an argument to continue as leader.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

yellowcard

I think the Tories will win easier than expected, a lot of people do not want to admit that they are Tory voters until it comes to casting their vote. The options are fairly stark also with so few parties and the fact that Labour are further left than normal and the Tories even further right than normal. The liberal democarts are not a viable alternative and tactical voters will discount them on the basis that they can't win in many constituencies in a FPTP system.

Either way though I think the narrative to be taken from this election is that May is a lame duck prime minister who has no conviction, cannot be trusted and has displayed an alarming inability to think on her feet when working off script. Although she will likely increase the governments majority, her own position is dubious in the mid-longer term. I think Corbyn will do enough to survive and if Brexit negotiations do not go as hoped, he could be in a better position to capitalise next time around. Certainly his own personal popularity has benefitted as he has taken all the mud that the media has slung at him and retained his dignity by not wavering.

Hardy

Is it the only election in history where, if things go as expected, the winner loses and the loser wins?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: yellowcard on June 08, 2017, 12:38:42 PM
I think the Tories will win easier than expected, a lot of people do not want to admit that they are Tory voters until it comes to casting their vote. The options are fairly stark also with so few parties and the fact that Labour are further left than normal and the Tories even further right than normal. The liberal democarts are not a viable alternative and tactical voters will discount them on the basis that they can't win in many constituencies in a FPTP system.

Either way though I think the narrative to be taken from this election is that May is a lame duck prime minister who has no conviction, cannot be trusted and has displayed an alarming inability to think on her feet when working off script. Although she will likely increase the governments majority, her own position is dubious in the mid-longer term. I think Corbyn will do enough to survive and if Brexit negotiations do not go as hoped, he could be in a better position to capitalise next time around. Certainly his own personal popularity has benefitted as he has taken all the mud that the media has slung at him and retained his dignity by not wavering.

You not think Corbyn's age is an issue? just checked and he's 68; Thought he was younger than that.