Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

Quote from: AQMP on May 26, 2017, 12:04:03 PM
Quote from: Franko on May 26, 2017, 11:51:52 AM
Quote from: Minder on May 26, 2017, 11:17:23 AM
Quote from: Franko on May 26, 2017, 11:04:50 AM
Quote from: Minder on May 26, 2017, 10:49:08 AM
Be interesting to see how he communicates with Andrew Neil this evening

Will be a massive test for him.  I hope Neil doesn't pull out the Daily Mail's stock lie that Corbyn refused to condemn the IRA bombing in Manchester.

Corbyn realises that a suicide bombing in Manchester and the death of over a million people in the Middle East in Brit backed illegal wars are not unrelated issues.

Neil is usually fair and can back up what he is asking, he makes mincemeat out of most of them.

I honestly think support for the IRA will be the least of his problems

What do you think are going to be his issues?  From what I understand Labour's manifesto promises have been fully costed and verified.  Brexit going to catch him out?  He'd have to perform very badly to do worse than that parroting imbecile May.

Institute for Fiscal Studies said this morning that both manifestos are weak on the numbers.  Labour's tax rises won't bring in the £48 mill they predict and the Tories plans are largely uncosted but cannot be delivered without cuts and a reduction in the quality of public services.  Expect this to be the focus of Neill's interview rather than Corbyn's views on the 'RA.  Most people seem to have missed out that he actually did condemn IRA actions.

Fair enough, I'd have no issues if Neil tied him in knots over something factual.  If he wants to play at that level he'd have to be fit to handle it.

As for the bit in bold, nobody missed it - the Daily Mail & Co fed the lie to the little Englanders and the imbeciles were only too happy to lap it up.  At that stage the propaganda wins and it's too late to produce the facts that show them otherwise as their simple minds are stuck in 'Corbyn loves the 'RA' mode.

magpie seanie

Does anyone realistically think that bullshit about supposedly not condemning the IRA even though he clearly did made anyone who was going to vote Labour change their mind? I don't. If anything it clearly illustrated how incredibly biased most of the media are against Corbyn and might actually have worked in his favour.

Tough interview tonight but Corbyn has the great luxury of consistency down throughout his career so he doesn't have to remember a script. He is what he is for good or bad. Polls have been notoriously inaccurate so I'm trying not to get too excited but if nothing else it has caused panic among Tories which could lead to more gaffes/mistakes. Their campaign has been a shambles so far.

Avondhu star

No point whinging that the media are biased against Corbyn. Most of his parliamentary party are against him.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Franko

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 26, 2017, 12:39:38 PM
Does anyone realistically think that bullshit about supposedly not condemning the IRA even though he clearly did made anyone who was going to vote Labour change their mind? I don't. If anything it clearly illustrated how incredibly biased most of the media are against Corbyn and might actually have worked in his favour.

Tough interview tonight but Corbyn has the great luxury of consistency down throughout his career so he doesn't have to remember a script. He is what he is for good or bad. Polls have been notoriously inaccurate so I'm trying not to get too excited but if nothing else it has caused panic among Tories which could lead to more gaffes/mistakes. Their campaign has been a shambles so far.

Neither do I.  But it's the ones thinking of jumping away from the Torys that I think it will affect.  The working/middle class little england (with a small e) brigade who are beginning to realise that Corbyn will give them their (soft) Brexit but, unlike May, will also stand up for their rights and not sell off the NHS.  There must be thousands of them and I think they could be swayed.  But these people could easily be dissuaded from jumping ship by a media who bombards them with "Corbyn IRA lover" type messages.

seafoid

Quote from: Avondhu star on May 26, 2017, 12:45:41 PM
No point whinging that the media are biased against Corbyn. Most of his parliamentary party are against him.
If he wins they'll change tack
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

yellowcard

Corbyn has benefited from a Tory campaign meltdown. May called the election to increase her mandate and cement her position going into Brexit negotiations. Despite the Tory propaganda in the media, May has made a dogs dinner of this campaign to date. They will still win the election but she has exposed herself to be a very poor leader who is lacking in conviction, and not one you can trust.

BennyCake

Quote from: yellowcard on May 26, 2017, 01:36:09 PM
Corbyn has benefited from a Tory campaign meltdown. May called the election to increase her mandate and cement her position going into Brexit negotiations. Despite the Tory propaganda in the media, May has made a dogs dinner of this campaign to date. They will still win the election but she has exposed herself to be a very poor leader who is lacking in conviction, and not one you can trust.

Name one politican you can trust.

magpie seanie

Quote from: BennyCake on May 26, 2017, 02:20:10 PM

Jeremy Corbyn.

armaghniac

I'm not sure you can trust any of them. But some of them have a long term strategy and fairly consistent policies within that, so you sort of know what you are getting. Jeremy Corbyn might fit in that category, although I probably disagree with him on many matters.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

magpie seanie

He's consistent alright and maybe that's what some people want.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Franko on May 26, 2017, 11:51:52 AM
Quote from: Minder on May 26, 2017, 11:17:23 AM
Quote from: Franko on May 26, 2017, 11:04:50 AM
Quote from: Minder on May 26, 2017, 10:49:08 AM
Be interesting to see how he communicates with Andrew Neil this evening

Will be a massive test for him.  I hope Neil doesn't pull out the Daily Mail's stock lie that Corbyn refused to condemn the IRA bombing in Manchester.

Corbyn realises that a suicide bombing in Manchester and the death of over a million people in the Middle East in Brit backed illegal wars are not unrelated issues.

Neil is usually fair and can back up what he is asking, he makes mincemeat out of most of them.

I honestly think support for the IRA will be the least of his problems

What do you think are going to be his issues?  From what I understand Labour's manifesto promises have been fully costed and verified.  Brexit going to catch him out?  He'd have to perform very badly to do worse than that parroting imbecile May.

Until today when the IFS came out to say both parties have failed to make manifesto costings that are in any way realistic.

Labour is loading tax onto those earning more than £80K who are a tiny percentage of the earning population, about 1.5 million.  The result will be to lower the intake as proven time after time because many will evade or top earners will move on. Also by taxing business to such an extent, the cost will be passed on to the public, prices will rise, pension investments will fall and jobs will be lost as business moves to low cost economies elsewhere in EU.  IFS reckon that labour are greatly overestimating the intake from tax changes.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 26, 2017, 12:10:43 PM
But they all seem to be hung than he didn't say IRA actions.

Neil was clear on his shows that Corbyn had made a condemnation.  But he is easily speared on being asked about prosecution of veterans that he has run away from in the last two weeks.

Owen Brannigan

Corbyn's problem is that he is part of the North London liberal elite and his main supporters are to be found in the same area.

Jeremy Corby: Islington North
John McDonnell: Hayes and Harlington
Diane Abbot: Hackney North and Stoke Newington
Emily Thornton:  Islington South and Finsbury
Keir Starmer: Holborn and St Pancras
Barry Gardiner: Brent North
Baroness Chakrabarti of Kennington

Very hard for working class Northerners to have much in common with them and especially the UKIP voters wanting Brexit.

armaghniac

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 26, 2017, 05:19:00 PM
Labour is loading tax onto those earning more than £80K who are a tiny percentage of the earning population, about 1.5 million.  The result will be to lower the intake as proven time after time because many will evade or top earners will move on. Also by taxing business to such an extent, the cost will be passed on to the public, prices will rise, pension investments will fall and jobs will be lost as business moves to low cost economies elsewhere in EU.  IFS reckon that labour are greatly overestimating the intake from tax changes.

Please copy this to Sinn Féin, 44 Parnell Square, Dublin 1.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

yellowcard

When it comes to it, I don't trust any of them but just varying degree's among all of them. May would be well down that list. You can definitely pick holes in Corbyn's economic policies but I think he is genuine in his belief's and principles and is not in it purely for power. I'd have him over May any day of the week.