The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

This U20 team did reasonably well in the 6 Nations. I know there have been some injuries but the change of manager after the 6 Nations is most likely having a big impact. Hard to believe we beat NZ this time last year and finished 2nd.

Crete Boom

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 09, 2017, 12:05:09 AM
This U20 team did reasonably well in the 6 Nations. I know there have been some injuries but the change of manager after the 6 Nations is most likely having a big impact. Hard to believe we beat NZ this time last year and finished 2nd.

Peter Malone the Munster Academy head has taken over from Carolan. He track record is poor at Munster so no surprise if there is a bit of a drop in standards.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Crete Boom on June 09, 2017, 12:09:15 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 09, 2017, 12:05:09 AM

Peter Malone the Munster Academy head has taken over from Carolan. He track record is poor at Munster so no surprise if there is a bit of a drop in standards.

Exactly. As a Connacht supporter I'm delighted Carolan is back with Connacht but he did a great job at U20 but it now seems like it's going to pot.

mouview

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 08, 2017, 06:20:51 PM
Quote from: mouview on June 08, 2017, 04:16:18 PM
But I thought you said our next generation are better than ever before Walt?

I was referring to our U20 performances in the last 3-4 years where we have continued to punch well above our weight. 3rd and 2nd in the U20 WC in the last 4 years.

This years side are young and missing over half their starting 15. They were bound to struggle.

Don't worry your wee head anyway Mouview. You can sleep well as you don't watch rugby anymore!

Yerra, I do watch a bit of it if there's nothing else on. Our Lions reps aren't exactly setting the world on fire in NZ either are they? Something a bit adverse though about a wave of Afrikaaners and Antipodeans coming in, staying a few years and then turning around and playing for the Lions. Not saying a lot for our own home grown players.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: mouview on June 09, 2017, 10:08:52 AM

I was referring to our U20 performances in the last 3-4 years where we have continued to punch well above our weight. 3rd and 2nd in the U20 WC in the last 4 years.

This years side are young and missing over half their starting 15. They were bound to struggle.

Don't worry your wee head anyway Mouview. You can sleep well as you don't watch rugby anymore!

Yerra, I do watch a bit of it if there's nothing else on. Our Lions reps aren't exactly setting the world on fire in NZ either are they? Something a bit adverse though about a wave of Afrikaaners and Antipodeans coming in, staying a few years and then turning around and playing for the Lions. Not saying a lot for our own home grown players.

The Lions to be is a Sky generated farce. More interested in the tours of US/Japan. Agree on your point regarding overseas players playing for them.

Owen Brannigan

The All Blacks have been stripping the best players from the island for years, so they are no different than any other country playing players who have gained residency.  The 5 year rule on residency will be an important restraint on al countries.

Gmac

Was watching the game v USA Saturday and it was sad to see Cain healys performance the man looks so muscle bound he can't move , I know he's had a lot of injuries but he really looks like he's done

Hound

Quote from: Gmac on June 12, 2017, 04:05:50 AM
Was watching the game v USA Saturday and it was sad to see Cain healys performance the man looks so muscle bound he can't move , I know he's had a lot of injuries but he really looks like he's done
You'd have to imagine that the Leinster and Ireland medical teams know more that we do, but what you described is certainly how it looks. Barnstroming, bursts of energy, runs seem a thing of the past. And if a ball doesnt go straight into the "basket" when passed to him, it just bounces off him full belt like he's made of trampoline (or maybe cement!).

Didnt think it was his worst game on Sunday mind.
Earls and Conan immense, and impressed with Scannell at hooker. Poor Joey Carberry had an absolute mare. Then Scannell eile comes on and misses a conversation from 14 yards under the posts! What has ROG been doing with them this week  :o
In fairness to Scannell, bar the conversion miss he did well otherwise. 

AZOffaly

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 09, 2017, 01:31:48 PM

The All Blacks have been stripping the best players from the island for years, so they are no different than any other country playing players who have gained residency.  The 5 year rule on residency will be an important restraint on al countries.

This thing about the Pacific islanders is greatly overstated in the minds up here. I did a hot of analysis on that a couple of years ago.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2017, 09:24:02 AM

This thing about the Pacific islanders is greatly overstated in the minds up here. I did a hot of analysis on that a couple of years ago.
Yep, I think a lot of them were born in New Zealand to emigrants, or moved there when they were very young, well before any rugby prowess revealed itself.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on June 12, 2017, 09:53:02 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2017, 09:24:02 AM

Yep, I think a lot of them were born in New Zealand to emigrants, or moved there when they were very young, well before any rugby prowess revealed itself.

Exactly. There's a lot of immigration into New Zealand from the Pacific Islands, and that naturally makes people think that they have been pillaging Fiji, Tonga and Samoa for these players when actually they are New Zealand born, a lot of them.  I think in recent years, as other nations have used the residency rule more, New Zealand have picked it up a bit alright. But just for comparison, the number of foreign born players in each countries World Cup squad from 2015 was .....

Samoa (13) (All New Zealand Born!!)
Tonga (12) 2 Aussies, 1 Fiji, 9 New Zealand.
Wales (11) 9 England, 1 Aussie, 1 Tongan
Japan (11) 7 New Zealand, 2 Tonga, 1 Aussie, 1 South Africa
Scotland (11) 2 South Africa, 3 England, 2 New Zealand, 1 Zimbabwe, 1 Spain, 1 USA, 1 Netherlands
France (10) 3 South Africa, 1 Belgium, 1 New Zealand, 1 Ivory Coast, 1 Congo, 1 Burkino Faso, 1 Algeria, 1 Fiji
Australia (9) 1 Saudi Arabia, 4 New Zealand, 1 Zimbabwe, 1 Papua New Guinea, 2 Fiji
Italy (9) 4 Argentina, 2 South Africa, 2 Australia, 1 Fiji
USA (9) 1 Tonga, 4 Australia, 2 Ireland, 1 South Africa, 1 Zimbabwe
Canada (5) 1 Nigeria, 2 England, 1 Scotland, 1 South Africa
Ireland (5) 1 South Africa, 2 New Zealand, 1 Israel, 1 Spain
New Zealand (5) 2 Australia, 1 American Samoa, 1 Fiji, 1 Tonga
Romania (4) 1 Georgia, 1 South Africa, 1 New Zealand, 1 Tonga
England (3) 1 New Zealand, 1 Australia, 1 South Africa
Fiji (3) 2 Australia, 1 England
Namibia (2) 2 South African
Georgia (1) 1 Russian
South Africa (1) 1 Zimbabwe
Uruguay (1) 1 Argentina
Argentina (0)

Obviously there is a difference between someone like Jordi Murphy (Spain), Jamie Heaslip (Israel) and the 'residency' guys. They were born abroad when their parents were working abroad. Nonetheless it is interesting to note that rather than ravaging the world for talent, as you'd think, NEw Zealand actually supplied 40 players to other countries. More New Zealanders represented other countries than represented New Zealand. Including 2 for Ireland.

Source http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2015/09/13/foreign-born-players-rwc-2015/

Walter Cronc

Great posts there lads. Yeah it appears to be a bit of a myth. Was thinking if the pro league in the US ever takes off you could maybe see a load of young kiwis go there at an early age as it's so hard to become an All Black.

Keith Earl's was electric the other night. Delighted to see Stockdale and Ryan get under the sticks also.

DuffleKing

Interested to know who the 9 english born welsh men are?

manfromdelmonte

Auckland has the highest % of Polynesians in the world, in a city.

screenexile

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 12, 2017, 04:38:20 PM

Interested to know who the 9 english born welsh men are?

North
Cuthbert
Charteris
Davies
Lydiate
Ball
Jarvis
Amos
Francis