Kildare v Mayo AI Qualifier Round 3

Started by Dinny Breen, June 25, 2018, 09:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

If Kildare are getting money we deserve some too, this is awful fuckacting
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

seafoid

It wasn't clear at the time of the draw that the GAA reserved the right to bring matches to Croke Park. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in any discussion about the qualifiers.
And Health and Safety is a real "that's the why" explanation.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

mup

Quote from: trailer on June 26, 2018, 09:43:12 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on June 26, 2018, 09:36:51 AM
Quote from: trailer on June 26, 2018, 09:16:13 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 26, 2018, 09:07:35 AM
Quote from: Hound on June 26, 2018, 08:42:45 AM
Quote from: Kurtz on June 26, 2018, 07:24:26 AM
Fair play to Kildare for wanting to host the match

This health n safety lark is a cop out
The H&S statement is a complete nonsense alright. There are actual reasons why you could argue the game should be moved and it's not H&S.

As has been said, moving games to higher capacity venues has been going on for generations. Mostly good intentioned so as many people as possible can attend the game, but clearly it also means more money for the GAA in ticket receipts and that's the main driver now it would seem (also the reason Kildare County Board voted to move the Wicklow v Dublin game out of Aughrim).

It looks like around 8,500 is the actual safe capacity for Newbridge. Tickets will presumably have to be set aside for a small element of officials, players's families, etc. Are the Kildare lads happy that approx 4,000 tickets will be left for Kildare supporters, with season ticket holders given first preference? That means there'll be Kildare lads here who probably won't get tickets. Kildare have supporters who go to O'Byrne Cup games and all away league games and they may not be season ticket holders. Some of these people will not get tickets. If Kildare County Board are happy to go on that basis, then the choice should be there's to make, in conjunction with the team management.

Mayo could have a similar predicament if they replace Cork in the Super 8 and have a home game v Dublin. The county board will have the choice of holding it in Castlebar, 15k tickets to each team (as far as I'm aware the GAA has always gone for 50/50 ticket allocations where demand outstrips supply), so thousands of Mayo fans will be locked out. Or move it to, say, Limerick, where maybe an extra 10k Mayo fans can attend. The choice should be Mayo's alone though, and I'm sure they'd choose Castlebar, but there'd be a lot of Mayo non-season ticket holders feeling very hard done by.  And we'd have stories of people following Mayo all around the country, 1000s of miles, 1000s of euros, and when they get a home game they can't even get it, plus all the great work they do for the club, etc. etc.

Of course the GAA should have sorted this all out from the start, so there'd be no surprises.

The spread of GAA county grounds is very uneven. Not every county has a ground with the capacity to suit HQ because of decisions made in the past and priorities. And the focus of the GAA is Croke Park. And home advantage is important when the margins are thin.

It's a structural problem.

Kildare are very picky about which ground Mayo beat them in  ;)

Seriously thought, if it was to be shown on RTE would there be such a faux outrage? Games have been moved for as long as I can remember. I can barely remember Tyrone playing anywhere else in my youth other than Clones. Furthermore it's like 40 mins down the road. It's not as if they're been sent to Cork.
Kildare have in the past shown very little regard for the rules and regulations of the GAA so in my honest view and I appreciate it goes against the majority, they should suck it up and play the match in Croke Park.

Why exactly should they 'suck it up'? At least Kildare are showing a bit of backbone here.

They didn't have much backbone in the Seanie Johnston affair.
Games get moved.

And what county do you hail from?

mup

Quote from: Jinxy on June 26, 2018, 09:46:47 AM
I predict HQ will cave and the game will go ahead in Newbridge.
However, in revenge they'll appoint Cormac Reilly to ref it.

Jeez. We'll go to Croke Park so.

seafoid

Cian O'Neill and Johnny Doyle are on KFM after 10

http://www.kfmradio.com/listen-live-player.html

I suppose this a good bonding exercise for the Kildare lads

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Tyrdub

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 26, 2018, 12:00:40 AM
Quote from: Solo_run on June 25, 2018, 11:57:52 PM
Could not give a hoot if HQ have maintenance costs.

The rules of the qualifiers are clearly stated - Kildare are to have home advantage. Less than 24hrs from being given home advantage GAA turn around and try to take it away from them! There are no specified minimum number of fans that have to attend games so they should be allowed to play at home.

I don't like the idea that 4 out of the 8 teams in the draw get the advantage of playing a game at Croke Park. If Croke Park wanted the extra money then they should have thought about this beforehand.

The local communities in Cavan and Kildare will be losing out from the game moving.

Fair play to Kildare for sticking to their guns. It's doesnt sound like Kildare are going to back peddle in this and rightly so.

Good Post!

+1

Jinxy

Chair of the CCCC claims there could be 'animosity' among fans if Kildare-Mayo game went ahead at Newbridge

Asked to elaborate on the safety issues, he said: "People are eager to see their own county playing championship and it was a possibility that people would turn up seeking to get admission to try and buy tickets outside the ground despite knowing that tickets weren't available.

"The risk would be that people would get involved with other spectators, that's the risk.

"I wouldn't call it crowd trouble but there could be animosity shown to people who had tickets and they couldn't get them, claiming they were regular supporters of Kildare."

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/chair-of-the-cccc-claims-there-could-be-animosity-among-fans-if-kildaremayo-game-went-ahead-at-newbridge-37050377.html

This is extraordinary stuff from Ned Quinn.
Surprised at him tbh.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

trailer

Quote from: JoG2 on June 26, 2018, 09:47:52 AM
Quote from: trailer on June 26, 2018, 09:43:12 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on June 26, 2018, 09:36:51 AM
Quote from: trailer on June 26, 2018, 09:16:13 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 26, 2018, 09:07:35 AM
Quote from: Hound on June 26, 2018, 08:42:45 AM
Quote from: Kurtz on June 26, 2018, 07:24:26 AM
Fair play to Kildare for wanting to host the match

This health n safety lark is a cop out
The H&S statement is a complete nonsense alright. There are actual reasons why you could argue the game should be moved and it's not H&S.

As has been said, moving games to higher capacity venues has been going on for generations. Mostly good intentioned so as many people as possible can attend the game, but clearly it also means more money for the GAA in ticket receipts and that's the main driver now it would seem (also the reason Kildare County Board voted to move the Wicklow v Dublin game out of Aughrim).

It looks like around 8,500 is the actual safe capacity for Newbridge. Tickets will presumably have to be set aside for a small element of officials, players's families, etc. Are the Kildare lads happy that approx 4,000 tickets will be left for Kildare supporters, with season ticket holders given first preference? That means there'll be Kildare lads here who probably won't get tickets. Kildare have supporters who go to O'Byrne Cup games and all away league games and they may not be season ticket holders. Some of these people will not get tickets. If Kildare County Board are happy to go on that basis, then the choice should be there's to make, in conjunction with the team management.

Mayo could have a similar predicament if they replace Cork in the Super 8 and have a home game v Dublin. The county board will have the choice of holding it in Castlebar, 15k tickets to each team (as far as I'm aware the GAA has always gone for 50/50 ticket allocations where demand outstrips supply), so thousands of Mayo fans will be locked out. Or move it to, say, Limerick, where maybe an extra 10k Mayo fans can attend. The choice should be Mayo's alone though, and I'm sure they'd choose Castlebar, but there'd be a lot of Mayo non-season ticket holders feeling very hard done by.  And we'd have stories of people following Mayo all around the country, 1000s of miles, 1000s of euros, and when they get a home game they can't even get it, plus all the great work they do for the club, etc. etc.

Of course the GAA should have sorted this all out from the start, so there'd be no surprises.

The spread of GAA county grounds is very uneven. Not every county has a ground with the capacity to suit HQ because of decisions made in the past and priorities. And the focus of the GAA is Croke Park. And home advantage is important when the margins are thin.

It's a structural problem.

Kildare are very picky about which ground Mayo beat them in  ;)

Seriously thought, if it was to be shown on RTE would there be such a faux outrage? Games have been moved for as long as I can remember. I can barely remember Tyrone playing anywhere else in my youth other than Clones. Furthermore it's like 40 mins down the road. It's not as if they're been sent to Cork.
Kildare have in the past shown very little regard for the rules and regulations of the GAA so in my honest view and I appreciate it goes against the majority, they should suck it up and play the match in Croke Park.

Why exactly should they 'suck it up'? At least Kildare are showing a bit of backbone here.

They didn't have much backbone in the Seanie Johnston affair.
Games get moved.

eh? Completely different situation, and didn't they, in spite of widespread condemnation show backbone and stick to their guns? Any right thinking GAA man / woman should be backing Kildare here and not using the Seanie Johnston affair as a stick to beat them with

I appreciate I'm probably in majority of 1. And to be fair I have no skin in the game as it were with either Kildare or Mayo. So that's how I feel about it. I hope common sense prevails and it gets sorted. Its a big championship game and if you want to talk about growing the game and inspiring children, wouldn't one way to do that be allowing as many patrons as possible watch the match? It's been poorly handled by the GAA and Kildare County board. Both sides have painted themselves into a corner. Something will have to give..

Regarding Seanie Johnston: Kildare were happy to bend rules and make a mockery of their own Hurling championship in that instance.

dublin7

Kildare issued a statement claiming they can meet H&S requirements and have permission from the Gardai. Not one person in croke park/GAA administration has denied or refuted that claim. It's clearly about €€€€€'s

Sean Kelly and Nicky Brennan on newstalk were really disappointing this morning. Nicky Brennan thinks 15k people from Mayo will go to newbridge without tickets even though the game would be sold out and on tv as they expect to buy a ticket off a tout before the game. Ridiculous stuff. Sean Kelly did indeed take the Bertie approach. Give Kildare a few quid to stop them complaining and everybody's happy.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on June 26, 2018, 09:54:27 AM
Chair of the CCCC claims there could be 'animosity' among fans if Kildare-Mayo game went ahead at Newbridge

Asked to elaborate on the safety issues, he said: "People are eager to see their own county playing championship and it was a possibility that people would turn up seeking to get admission to try and buy tickets outside the ground despite knowing that tickets weren't available.

"The risk would be that people would get involved with other spectators, that's the risk.

"I wouldn't call it crowd trouble but there could be animosity shown to people who had tickets and they couldn't get them, claiming they were regular supporters of Kildare."

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/chair-of-the-cccc-claims-there-could-be-animosity-among-fans-if-kildaremayo-game-went-ahead-at-newbridge-37050377.html

Surprised at him tbh.

He must have visions of Mayo Supporters looting the Whitewater...
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 26, 2018, 09:57:16 AM

Surprised at him tbh.

He must have visions of Mayo Supporters looting the Whitewater...

Ned fears they'll do an Emily Davison (https://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/may/26/emily-davison-suffragette-death-derby-1913) at the Derby if they can't get a ticket for the match down the road.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Tubberman

Surprised at him tbh.

What absolute bullshit! People aren't going to drive up from Mayo to Newbridge without a ticket for a game they know is sold-out - it's not the All-Ireland final, it's a round 3 qualifier.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossfan

Do Kildare fix nearly all their Club Championship games in St Conleths no matter how many pitches bith clubs in a match might pass on their way there?
What if say its Celbridge v Leixlip and they say we want to play it in Maynooth so as not to be dragging our supporters to Newbridge, promotional value of playing locally atmosphere at game etc.
They refuse to turn up in Newbridge, both teams go to Maynooth. .....
Result
KCB would feck them both out of the Championship.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Carbery

Let us trust that Kildare will hold firm on this and not sell their soul.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Rossfan on June 26, 2018, 10:02:17 AM
Do Kildare fix nearly all their Club Championship games in St Conleths no matter how many pitches bith clubs in a match might pass on their way there?
What if say its Celbridge v Leixlip and they say we want to play it in Maynooth so as not to be dragging our supporters to Newbridge, promotional value of playing locally atmosphere at game etc.
They refuse to turn up in Newbridge, both teams go to Maynooth. .....
Result
KCB would feck them both out of the Championship.

Neither of those teams have home advantage so hardly applicable.
#newbridgeornowhere