Kildare v Mayo AI Qualifier Round 3

Started by Dinny Breen, June 25, 2018, 09:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: screenexile on June 25, 2018, 11:40:01 PM
Sky have washed their hands of it and hung HQ out to dry as well . . .

"Sky has absolutely no influence on the selection of venues for live televised matches"

Over to you GAA HQ!
Someone in HQ made a call and won't back down
Now they are on their own

Some neutral third party might come in and talk them back down. Not sure who.

ballinaman

Quote from: seafoid on June 26, 2018, 07:45:23 AM
Quote from: screenexile on June 25, 2018, 11:40:01 PM
Sky have washed their hands of it and hung HQ out to dry as well . . .

"Sky has absolutely no influence on the selection of venues for live televised matches"

Over to you GAA HQ!
Someone in HQ made a call and won't back down
Now they are on their own

Some neutral third party might come in and talk them back down. Not sure who.
Tommie Gorman ?

Farrandeelin

Mayo should just rock on up to Newbridge without saying anything to anyone.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

This is really management theory.
The goal is to resolve problems at least cost.

Th'oul corporate GAA is not very good at this.

Itchy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 26, 2018, 08:22:11 AM

Then they will be kicked out too and one of the provincial losers will get a bye into the Super 8s. That's where this is going. Its too late for the GAA to back down and Kildare have backed themselves into a corner with their firm stance. I dont see anything being done unless its turned into an even bigger farce than it already is.

yellowcard

The only people capable of saving face for the GAA at this stage are the Mayo county board if they offer to play the game in Newbridge.

If the GAA can convince them to play in Newbridge then it would avoid them having to do a complete U turn and preventing egg on the face of Fergal McGill who stated that they weren't for turning on the venue. However, Mayo have no absolutely obligation to do this and they are probably correct in staying out of the dispute.

If it is not sorted out in the next 24 hours I don't see how it can be resolved at all. Also I can't imagine that too many Tyrone or Cavan fans will turn up on Saturday given the shenanigan's and we could have the prospect of watching a standalone match played in front of about 5,000 in Croke Park. It's a horror show from the GAA.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Itchy on June 26, 2018, 08:33:47 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 26, 2018, 08:22:11 AM

Then they will be kicked out too and one of the provincial losers will get a bye into the Super 8s. That's where this is going. Its too late for the GAA to back down and Kildare have backed themselves into a corner with their firm stance. I dont see anything being done unless its turned into an even bigger farce than it already is.

It's only too late if they aren't entrenched, out of touch and egotistical...

Hound

Quote from: Kurtz on June 26, 2018, 07:24:26 AM
Fair play to Kildare for wanting to host the match

This health n safety lark is a cop out
The H&S statement is a complete nonsense alright. There are actual reasons why you could argue the game should be moved and it's not H&S.

As has been said, moving games to higher capacity venues has been going on for generations. Mostly good intentioned so as many people as possible can attend the game, but clearly it also means more money for the GAA in ticket receipts and that's the main driver now it would seem (also the reason Kildare County Board voted to move the Wicklow v Dublin game out of Aughrim).

It looks like around 8,500 is the actual safe capacity for Newbridge. Tickets will presumably have to be set aside for a small element of officials, players's families, etc. Are the Kildare lads happy that approx 4,000 tickets will be left for Kildare supporters, with season ticket holders given first preference? That means there'll be Kildare lads here who probably won't get tickets. Kildare have supporters who go to O'Byrne Cup games and all away league games and they may not be season ticket holders. Some of these people will not get tickets. If Kildare County Board are happy to go on that basis, then the choice should be there's to make, in conjunction with the team management.

Mayo could have a similar predicament if they replace Cork in the Super 8 and have a home game v Dublin. The county board will have the choice of holding it in Castlebar, 15k tickets to each team (as far as I'm aware the GAA has always gone for 50/50 ticket allocations where demand outstrips supply), so thousands of Mayo fans will be locked out. Or move it to, say, Limerick, where maybe an extra 10k Mayo fans can attend. The choice should be Mayo's alone though, and I'm sure they'd choose Castlebar, but there'd be a lot of Mayo non-season ticket holders feeling very hard done by.  And we'd have stories of people following Mayo all around the country, 1000s of miles, 1000s of euros, and when they get a home game they can't even get it, plus all the great work they do for the club, etc. etc.

Of course the GAA should have sorted this all out from the start, so there'd be no surprises.

sid waddell

Quote from: yellowcard on June 26, 2018, 08:34:31 AM
The only people capable of saving face for the GAA at this stage are the Mayo county board if they offer to play the game in Newbridge.

If the GAA can convince them to play in Newbridge then it would avoid them having to do a complete U turn and preventing egg on the face of Fergal McGill who stated that they weren't for turning on the venue. However, Mayo have no absolutely obligation to do this and they are probably correct in staying out of the dispute.

If it is not sorted out in the next 24 hours I don't see how it can be resolved at all. Also I can't imagine that too many Tyrone or Cavan fans will turn up on Saturday given the shenanigan's and we could have the prospect of watching a standalone match played in front of about 5,000 in Croke Park. It's a horror show from the GAA.
If Cavan backed up Kildare, Kildare's position would be stronger.

I know their game wouldn't have been in Breffni Park anyway, but I understand their nominated venue would have been Enniskillen.

What Kildare have to their advantage, and which pretty much no other county has, is three high profile sports journalists, two of whom have a national broadcasting platform, the other who is expert at creating controversy, fighting their corner.

This has the potential to throw the whole championship schedule out of kilter and it highlights just how tight and vulnerable to disruption the schedule is.

Ohtoohtobe

The capacity of the ground is 9,020, according to the Slattery report, commissioned by the Gaa itself

Maroon Manc

Anyone hear Ned Quinn the Chairman of the CCCC on offtheball?

Hound

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on June 26, 2018, 08:52:28 AM
The capacity of the ground is 9,020, according to the Slattery report, commissioned by the Gaa itself
Yep, with a 10% reduction for all ticket games. No idea why!

Farrandeelin

What's the story with season tickets? Turn up to CP for nothing and get attendance recorded or what? It doesn't affect me this weekend as I'm not able to go but there are people from Achill and Belmullet who will be wondering this.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: Hound on June 26, 2018, 08:42:45 AM
Quote from: Kurtz on June 26, 2018, 07:24:26 AM
Fair play to Kildare for wanting to host the match

This health n safety lark is a cop out
The H&S statement is a complete nonsense alright. There are actual reasons why you could argue the game should be moved and it's not H&S.

As has been said, moving games to higher capacity venues has been going on for generations. Mostly good intentioned so as many people as possible can attend the game, but clearly it also means more money for the GAA in ticket receipts and that's the main driver now it would seem (also the reason Kildare County Board voted to move the Wicklow v Dublin game out of Aughrim).

It looks like around 8,500 is the actual safe capacity for Newbridge. Tickets will presumably have to be set aside for a small element of officials, players's families, etc. Are the Kildare lads happy that approx 4,000 tickets will be left for Kildare supporters, with season ticket holders given first preference? That means there'll be Kildare lads here who probably won't get tickets. Kildare have supporters who go to O'Byrne Cup games and all away league games and they may not be season ticket holders. Some of these people will not get tickets. If Kildare County Board are happy to go on that basis, then the choice should be there's to make, in conjunction with the team management.

Mayo could have a similar predicament if they replace Cork in the Super 8 and have a home game v Dublin. The county board will have the choice of holding it in Castlebar, 15k tickets to each team (as far as I'm aware the GAA has always gone for 50/50 ticket allocations where demand outstrips supply), so thousands of Mayo fans will be locked out. Or move it to, say, Limerick, where maybe an extra 10k Mayo fans can attend. The choice should be Mayo's alone though, and I'm sure they'd choose Castlebar, but there'd be a lot of Mayo non-season ticket holders feeling very hard done by.  And we'd have stories of people following Mayo all around the country, 1000s of miles, 1000s of euros, and when they get a home game they can't even get it, plus all the great work they do for the club, etc. etc.

Of course the GAA should have sorted this all out from the start, so there'd be no surprises.

The spread of GAA county grounds is very uneven. Not every county has a ground with the capacity to suit HQ because of decisions made in the past and priorities. And the focus of the GAA is Croke Park. And home advantage is important when the margins are thin.

It's a structural problem.