Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanderson

Anyone any experience in Alculdia, Mallorca. First time going away on a foreign holiday so wan't to try and do some activities

JoG2

Quote from: Nanderson on May 22, 2018, 08:03:41 PM
Anyone any experience in Alculdia, Mallorca. First time going away on a foreign holiday so wan't to try and do some activities

Not sure what activities, but we went on a tour of Mallorca a couple of years ago, departed from the North of the Island. A coach took through the mountains to the boat, then a tram, finishing off with a steam train back through the mountains. Home by beer o'clock. Prob not everyone's cup of tea, but it was very enjoyable. Its a beautiful island

Don Johnson

Quote from: armaghniac on May 22, 2018, 02:02:56 PM
I was in Sicily last June and it was grand, not too hot and not too busy. I flew out with Aer Lingus to Catania and back from Palermo with O'LearyAir. Food is great and affordable, car hire is relatively expensive.

O'LearyAir, that's hilarious.

Fuzzman

Quote from: The Subbie on August 04, 2016, 10:51:04 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on August 02, 2016, 11:03:09 AM
Quote from: The Subbie on July 28, 2016, 09:47:29 PM
Walter, what's your budget?

Sukhimvit Road has all the big hotel chains , Sky train & is reasonably central from memory, decent hotels there shouldn't be too bad.

For the full on backpacker experience head for Ko San road, dirt cheap hostels/guest houses etc there.
Cheers Subbie. Just the 2 nights in Bangkok prior to heading down to the islands. Have heard Sukhimvit Road is the place to stay. Walking distance to the madness. Any ideas on which islands to go to folks? Obviously Koh Phangan for the full moon party but for the remainder of the week I'd prefer a mix of lively/chilled out islands.

If it's only the islands you want to do get a flight Bangkok to Ko Samui, 1 or 2 nights there then get ferry and head Ko pagan nagn do full moon, allow a few days either side of full moon 3 before and 2 or 3 after as accomodation is hard to get just before the full moon, after you've recovered head for Ko Tao, get ferry from Ko pagn nagn, lovely chilled out spot.

Phuket and Ko Phi Phi are other options but if you want to hit a full moon Phuket is a fair hike to Samui.
Ko phi phi is a grand spot but I found it a bit boring after 3 days , it's tiny and you'll be eating and drinking in the same few places if there for longer.

A place worth considering is Krabi, I went there and only gave myself 3 nights there and regretted it ever since, loads to do, not as expensive as the islands ( Thailand wise if that makes sense, it'll still be cheaper than what you are used to!)

If you can try and get up north , Chiang mai or Chaing Rai, easy cheap flight from Bangkok, loads to do that in both places, I went to Chaing Mai intending to stay 3-4 nights ended up staying there 2 1/2 weeks !

You'll have a ball there no matter where you go though, Asia rooms.com and Agoda.com were best I found for good deals on accom , never trust the taxi drivers , make sure when you are in Bangkok to get a motorcycle taxi, not a tuk tuk, a motorbike taxi, you'll see them, jump on the back and away you go, madness but a great way to get round Bangkok!!

This post certainly has influenced where I go in Thailand next month
I'm only there for 12 days and want to see a bit of the North this time as back in 2002 I did the two islands down South

One question I have is about what happens in long distance flights if you miss a connection.
On the way back from Krabi to Bangkok (BKK) I arrive at 10.30am and am due to fly back to Bahrain at 11.50
If that flight is delayed and I miss it then is it just hard luck or will they send you on the next one?
Its an economy ticket?

Also, is it hard to get free upgrades? Any secrets such as DONT check in online but get in early and ask at the check in desk?

armaghniac

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 01, 2018, 02:48:40 PM
One question I have is about what happens in long distance flights if you miss a connection.
On the way back from Krabi to Bangkok (BKK) I arrive at 10.30am and am due to fly back to Bahrain at 11.50
If that flight is delayed and I miss it then is it just hard luck or will they send you on the next one?
Its an economy ticket?

If it is one ticket (PNR) they have to sort you. If it is two separate tickets you are on your own. Get good insurance.

Also, is it hard to get free upgrades? Any secrets such as DONT check in online but get in early and ask at the check in desk?

Yes, it is hard. Any upgrades are generally given to people with some frequent flyer status with the airline, not randomers.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

heffo

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 01, 2018, 02:48:40 PM
Quote from: The Subbie on August 04, 2016, 10:51:04 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on August 02, 2016, 11:03:09 AM
Quote from: The Subbie on July 28, 2016, 09:47:29 PM
Walter, what's your budget?

Sukhimvit Road has all the big hotel chains , Sky train & is reasonably central from memory, decent hotels there shouldn't be too bad.

For the full on backpacker experience head for Ko San road, dirt cheap hostels/guest houses etc there.
Cheers Subbie. Just the 2 nights in Bangkok prior to heading down to the islands. Have heard Sukhimvit Road is the place to stay. Walking distance to the madness. Any ideas on which islands to go to folks? Obviously Koh Phangan for the full moon party but for the remainder of the week I'd prefer a mix of lively/chilled out islands.

If it's only the islands you want to do get a flight Bangkok to Ko Samui, 1 or 2 nights there then get ferry and head Ko pagan nagn do full moon, allow a few days either side of full moon 3 before and 2 or 3 after as accomodation is hard to get just before the full moon, after you've recovered head for Ko Tao, get ferry from Ko pagn nagn, lovely chilled out spot.

Phuket and Ko Phi Phi are other options but if you want to hit a full moon Phuket is a fair hike to Samui.
Ko phi phi is a grand spot but I found it a bit boring after 3 days , it's tiny and you'll be eating and drinking in the same few places if there for longer.

A place worth considering is Krabi, I went there and only gave myself 3 nights there and regretted it ever since, loads to do, not as expensive as the islands ( Thailand wise if that makes sense, it'll still be cheaper than what you are used to!)

If you can try and get up north , Chiang mai or Chaing Rai, easy cheap flight from Bangkok, loads to do that in both places, I went to Chaing Mai intending to stay 3-4 nights ended up staying there 2 1/2 weeks !

You'll have a ball there no matter where you go though, Asia rooms.com and Agoda.com were best I found for good deals on accom , never trust the taxi drivers , make sure when you are in Bangkok to get a motorcycle taxi, not a tuk tuk, a motorbike taxi, you'll see them, jump on the back and away you go, madness but a great way to get round Bangkok!!

Very hard if you don't have status. If Economy is overbooked they'll upgrade economy passengers with the highest status first and then slide down status-wise.

The Subbie

Fuzzman- another move to consider if you want to go from BKK to Chaing Mai is the train, might eat up a lot of your time if you only have 12 days but you get to see much more than you would on the flight
Get a sleeper compartment, it's an overnight train and there is a bar on it so you can have a bit of a rip in the process too! It's good crack
Flights are cheap though and it's 1.5 hours so it will save you lots of time and make the most of your 12 days
Chaing Mai has everything from Thai cookery courses, hiking trips, motorcycle safaris, downhill biking trips if you are feeling lazy , night market, day market - there is no shortage of stuff to do
Accomodation in Chaing Mai is good for every budget
Stay anywhere within 500 metres of Tai Pai gate ( I think that's the spelling is wrong but you will figure it out)

Flight wise , like Heffo says unless you are on a frequent flyer programme you won't get no upgrades
Have a great time , you will have a ball !!

JoG2

Quote from: The Subbie on June 01, 2018, 11:44:58 PM
Fuzzman- another move to consider if you want to go from BKK to Chaing Mai is the train, might eat up a lot of your time if you only have 12 days but you get to see much more than you would on the flight
Get a sleeper compartment, it's an overnight train and there is a bar on it so you can have a bit of a rip in the process too! It's good crack
Flights are cheap though and it's 1.5 hours so it will save you lots of time and make the most of your 12 days
Chaing Mai has everything from Thai cookery courses, hiking trips, motorcycle safaris, downhill biking trips if you are feeling lazy , night market, day market - there is no shortage of stuff to do
Accomodation in Chaing Mai is good for every budget
Stay anywhere within 500 metres of Tai Pai gate ( I think that's the spelling is wrong but you will figure it out)

Flight wise , like Heffo says unless you are on a frequent flyer programme you won't get no upgrades
Have a great time , you will have a ball !!

Chang Mai is a great spot. We planned 5 days including a 3 day hike and ended up spending nearly 2 weeks. The Riverview / Riverside (?) restaurant is a good spot for a night out. Great music, food and cocktails

Island wise, full moon party is a must if possible I reckon. Im not a dance music man, but the craic is mighty. Serenity bar for a 'milkshake' beforehand is the job.
Now it's over 20 years since I was there, so all this info may be obsolete!

omaghjoe

Ko Muk easily the most beautiful island and beach ive been to in Thailand or anywhere

Fuzzman

Great stuff lads. Thanks
Yeah I love travelling by train too but we leave Sun 6pm and don't arrive til Mon 8pm bus Bahrain. 2 hr stop off

On the way back it's 10 hrs stop over so thinking hire a car as so cheap and have a spin around. Anyone been to Bahrain 🇧🇭. I like their flag.

Fuzzman

How important is it to get the tropical vaccinations? It sounds mad expensive here in Dublin. Can your GP give them to you any cheaper?
Is Malaria more of a problem up North than down South or everywhere?

I think we'll just stay in Bangkok 2 nights, then 5 days in Chiang Mai and then just fly to Krabi for the 4 or 5 days with maybe a day trip to Ko Muk. Presume ferries out to it or day trips from Krabi?

I saw this? Any other advice? Its 16 years since I was there last in Samui and Pha ngang
http://thewanderlustkitchen.com/39-things-need-know-traveling-thailand/

Any suggestions of what to do up North?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 06, 2018, 04:26:50 PM
How important is it to get the tropical vaccinations? It sounds mad expensive here in Dublin. Can your GP give them to you any cheaper?

I think we'll just stay in Bangkok 2 nights, then 5 days in Chiang Mai and then just fly to Krabi for the 4 or 5 days with maybe a day trip to Ko Muk. Presume ferries out to it or day trips from Krabi?

I saw this? Any other advice? Its 16 years since I was there last in Samui and Pha ngang

North Dublin, defo need vaccinations I'd say
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fuzzman

Having looked through a few threads most travellers seem to think its all a money making scam?
Imodium was the main thing I was told I might need.

The TMB in Dublin 2 are charging an arm and a leg for these jabs and no doubt they will tell you all sorts of stories to get you convinced.
Is there any way of looking up what vaccinations you got before on what dates?
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forums/asia-thailand/thailand/vaccinations-thailand

Re Chiang Mai, What do ye recommend to go see. We're only there 4 or 5 days

Tyrdub

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 06, 2018, 05:12:29 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on June 06, 2018, 04:26:50 PM

North Dublin, defo need vaccinations I'd say

here lad, leave it out, you're more likely to catch something in West Belfast, especially down around the Bog:)

Boycey

Off to Seattle Monday week and on to San Fran for a few days after that. L I've looked at doing all the usual stuff online but is there any off the beaten track or obscure things worth checking out. Thanks in advance.