Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

belfastsaff

Agree with MR2. Often not the club but good business men from the club who want to see some success at senior level. Imagine wanting your own club to succeed what an awful thought  :-\

inabsentia

https://antrim.gaa.ie/news/fixtures-review-club-forum

Fixtures review tonight, what's the outcome?

I think if they split div 1 up they may as well just properly reconfigure the leagues to 4.

Div 1/2: 8 teams
Div 3/4: 9 teams

On one hand that step up from div 2 will be even more daunting now, but frankly you can't see much changing from the way it is now.

Also chatting with some other lads as to why reserve teams were ever pushed into their own leagues? It'll own serve to strengthen football and the teams that are involved and give a chance at development for younger lads compared to now where one week you might play a reserve team that'll duff you and the next might end up with a no show.

Thoughts?

paddyjohn

Quote from: farset on November 05, 2018, 01:16:53 PM
Quote from: belfastsaff on November 05, 2018, 01:07:50 PM
Cant expect an outsider to come in and do it for nothing. He is giving up his family/free time , possibly putting work commitments on hold for the benefit of another club. Nothing wrong with an outsider being paid but I agree some are taking the micky out of it getting 100 quid for a hour and a half session - Madness!

Are the players not taking time out, away from their families and putting work commitments on hold?

I have no problem reimbursing their travel costs but ultimately I think its an ego thing with a lot of them and not a service offered from some sort of sympathy for the requesting club.

If it's for the love of the game then take a team in your own club either at U8 level or at senior. If those positions are taken then spend time with your family or don't put the work commitments on hold. Or do it for free.vecause you love it.

It's a disgrace in my opinion. Like your man Pat Hughes... His club is clearly struggling yet he is out getting paid by another club who had to fund raise to pay him. No other word for it but mercenary.

I presume you're an O'Dees man?  Sure O'Dees pay a fortune to managers.

Hectic

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 05, 2018, 01:09:09 PM
Quote from: farset on November 05, 2018, 12:59:40 PM
And where does this money come from? The hard fundraising efforts of members straight into the pockets of people like those mentioned.

If they are so passionate about our games, they'd do it for free.

Unless the club has a few quid (and trust me no club has the money like they did) it's coming from a rich benefactor

Yeah this sort of funding comes from an individual or a syndicate specifically for this purpose. Club fundraising has enough directions to go and does not qualify for spend on one of many teams fielded.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 05, 2018, 12:28:42 PM
If you're from a Belfast club Farset then they will have brought a manager in, I can't think of one which hasn't
This year fairly sure LD, St Pauls, St Teresas, St Galls, Rossa and St Johns aren't paying their senior football managers

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 05, 2018, 04:45:20 PM
If you're from a Belfast club Farset then they will have brought a manager in, I can't think of one which hasn't
This year fairly sure LD, St Pauls, St Teresas, St Galls, Rossa and St Johns aren't paying their senior football managers

I'm sure all have in the past though, and thats my point
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 05, 2018, 05:03:24 PM

I think you are wrong on this - only think St Pauls did in the past

bit of banter

Farset your attack on Pat Hughes is a disgrace, wonder would you be as quick to say it to his face. Pat is along with Fitzy, i dont know him to be a coach or manager but a very good friend of Franks who travels the country watching football. Hes a former Chairman of the o donnells club who has no doubt put his whole life into the club and was heavily involved with them winning a few junior championships. Why have u singled out Frank and Pat at St Endas, plenty of clubs paying managers. Is it right or wrong is a debate but to pick certain people out on a forum where u can hode behind your key board is very poor. Pats certainly not responsible for ODs poor showing this year or any year but i know hes a true ODs member, supporter and volunteer. St Endas have a great man helping out with their senior team SO WHAT !

Last Man

Quote from: bit of banter on November 05, 2018, 06:02:52 PM
Farset your attack on Pat Hughes is a disgrace, wonder would you be as quick to say it to his face. Pat is along with Fitzy, i dont know him to be a coach or manager but a very good friend of Franks who travels the country watching football. Hes a former Chairman of the o donnells club who has no doubt put his whole life into the club and was heavily involved with them winning a few junior championships. Why have u singled out Frank and Pat at St Endas, plenty of clubs paying managers. Is it right or wrong is a debate but to pick certain people out on a forum where u can hode behind your key board is very poor. Pats certainly not responsible for ODs poor showing this year or any year but i know hes a true ODs member, supporter and volunteer. St Endas have a great man helping out with their senior team SO WHAT !
Indeed it is, there's plenty of instances you could have quoted long before you might have cast so much as a glance at Pat and Frank. While I was never an advocate for paid managers in my experience players can sometimes take the piss if they have been looking at the same club coaches for years and years. Often they feel they are ready to go to the next level and the club coach hasn't got what it takes, more often than not money spent makes little or no difference. Hence all so called paid managers should not be tarred with the same brush.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on November 05, 2018, 05:19:34 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 05, 2018, 05:03:24 PM

Honestly can't remember Rossa paying anyone.

Probably correct on that one, struggling to remember an outside manager at Rossa and I'm going back a few more years than yourself
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

inabsentia

Christ you lot would rather bicker about him and him than actually discuss football. Completely endemic of whats wrong with this county, politics and grudges

paddyjohn

Quote from: inabsentia on November 05, 2018, 07:15:53 PM
Christ you lot would rather bicker about him and him than actually discuss football. Completely endemic of whats wrong with this county, politics and grudges

The lad made a post and people commented on it and discussed it. Settle Petal!

Reserve leagues are hard to call. Some clubs struggle to put out 2 teams and I think a 13 a side game would be better for reserve teams. Possibly a bit more common sense used with fixtures also. One problems could be refs for all these games!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on November 05, 2018, 08:05:59 PM

Reserve leagues are hard to call. Some clubs struggle to put out 2 teams and I think a 13 a side game would be better for reserve teams. Possibly a bit more common sense used with fixtures also. One problems could be refs for all these games!

Sure there's plenty of refs!

We had the reserves into lower leagues before, I thought it worked well, though we'd decent numbers

We had a div 4 and div 3 team as did Cargin, we also had entered a team in div 4 hurling and won the leagues two years in a row..

leagues shouldn't all be on a Sunday, games can be played Friday and Saturday nights come the summer, think other counties do this so be interesting to hear how it works

inabsentia

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 05, 2018, 08:30:51 PM

We had the reserves into lower leagues before, I thought it worked well, though we'd decent numbers

We had a div 4 and div 3 team as did Cargin, we also had entered a team in div 4 hurling and won the leagues two years in a row..

leagues shouldn't all be on a Sunday, games can be played Friday and Saturday nights come the summer, think other counties do this so be interesting to hear how it works

Exactly, a Cargin/Galls reserve team would give a fair number of teams a hard time and allows teams to build depth. Mean that the games being played would allow biggers clubs with more players to get more football and more football means less drop off. Most of it all it stops the current reserve set up to stop being a pub team spectacle.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 05, 2018, 08:30:51 PM

Nice to see you back, although I saw enough of you over the last few weeks.  :-X

Same old faces with the whistle in both codes which doesn't do anybody any good.