Tyrone v Monaghan the battle for Ulster’s heart aisf 2018

Started by rrhf, August 05, 2018, 06:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 10, 2018, 10:25:06 PM
Quote from: lenny on August 10, 2018, 07:51:51 PM
I was at the 95 and 86 finals supporting Tyrone as were many Derry people. I don't dislike Tyrone, just Harte's cynical cheating version of Tyrone. Just a pity Eugene Mckenna didn't get another year in 03 because I'm certain he'd have won Sam also.

And by sheer astronomical coincidence, Harte was the first manager we had who allowed us to get our grubby mitts on Sam, but no, you preferred the plucky little neighbour, who was always close, but never quite close enough.

And sorry, don't buy your Eugene-as-an-all-Ireland-winner-would-be-all-sweetness-and-light!  ;)
G'man Fear, you're sure suckin' diesel. Keep 'er lit! ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

Nothing against Tyrone, but I hope Monaghan win this one.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 10, 2018, 11:06:26 PM
Nothing against Tyrone, but I hope Monaghan win this one.

Which is fair enough. I think I'd want Monaghan to win against probably any other county in Ireland on Sunday, it's great to see a different county reach an AI final and I'd say most neutrals feel a similar way. What is entertaining though is the Derry and Armagh lads jumping on the Monaghan bandwagon pretending it's a crusade against cynical football, rather than owning up to their bitterness.
That was never a square ball!!

Champion The Wonder Horse

Never liked Tyrone. Never have, never will.

Don't like Monaghan either. Never have, never will.

In fact, don't really like anyone outside the Oakleaf.

Heading down on Sunday though.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on August 10, 2018, 11:47:56 PM

:D

See you there horse!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 10, 2018, 11:51:36 PM

:D

See you there horse!  ;)

Looking forward to it. Always a pleasure.  :)

Quote from: hardstation on August 10, 2018, 11:59:56 PM

That may be true alright but in order to take a real interest in games, you need to decide who the worst bastids are and support the other team like you were weaned off the tit there.
Got me through the World Cup.

Do I have to answer that?

Can't bring myself to support the mushroom and duckling farmers though.

donelli

Fuzzman

Can't believe the shite being talked any more or the credit we give these wums.
Of course smaller counties who have suffered at our hands for years will despise us and let's face it Tyrone and usually AN Other have been getting to AI quarters now pretty regularly for the past 17 years.

Can we not just ignore their biased crap and talk about the game. I was out last night in D7 area with my Tyrone jersey on and the banter was great. People from various counties approached me and gave me their opinions. Most neutrals thought we would win on Sunday and maybe even give the Dubs a fair aul scare in the final.
I was a lot more cautious about Monaghan.
One Monaghan lad said he was very confident and that this team no longer fear Tyrone and are more used to big days in Croker now than ever before.
I said usually at this stage most teams are physically at the same level and it comes down to hunger and how willing you are to fight for it.
My concern is that if it is a tight game will our free taking be our downfall again.
How many times in the last 5 years has wides or short shots cost us defeats against Mayo or Kerry.
I think Monaghan by 2.
>:(

donelli

This Tyrone team to bottle it again at the AI semi final stage.
Monaghan for me.

BennyHarp

Like I've said before, if Monaghan were playing anyone other than Tyrone I'd be cheering them on but leaving all the sentimental nonsense to one side, in my view, there's no evidence to suggest this Monaghan team are anything other than the same old version that we have seen over the past few years. A lot of store is being put on the fact that Monaghan beat Tyrone earlier in the season, which is fair enough but if we are going to factor early season form in here then we have to mention that after that good performance Monaghan bottled it against a very poor Fermanagh team in an awful performance. They bottled it again when a place in the semi final was in their grasp v Kerry and too much emphasis has been put on a victory over a Galway team who already had one eye on the following weekends semi final. There is no trajectory of progress as far as I can see, they have performed well at times with the usual bottle jobs thrown in. There is nothing different coming from this Monaghan team and throw in the psychological defeats to Tyrone in similar circumstances in the past and how Tyrone have improved as the year has progressed them I can only see one result. Tyrone by 5 or 6.
That was never a square ball!!

Estimator

Completely agree with this sentiment.
If Monaghan were playing anyone but Tyrone on Sunday, I'd be hoping for an opposition victory.
That said I think Tyrone will win. And win with a wee bit to spare.
Generally when the sides have met earlier in the C'ship, its always defeated side that get their revenge when they play again:
2001: Derry Tyrone and
2005: Tyrone Armagh
Are the obvious examples

Tyrone -5 would be the bet
Ulster League Champions 2009

Rossfan

I like the people of 31 Counties hoping for a Monaghan win.
It would be a great boost to the 10 other little Counties if the Monaghan lads can do it as it would show us there is hope after all.
It will be close and possibly horrible to watch. Tyrone seem to have been improving as the season progressed but I'm hoping not by enough to beat Monaghan just yet.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hotrocks

Heading off soon for the capital hoping for two really good games.  I think tonights game will be a better spectacle as both teams tomorrow will be a lot more cautious , i don't think Galway can afford to be today.  Safe travel to all heading down.
Dublin by 4
Tyrone by 2

giveballaghback

Have to say Tyrone were easy winners of the sledging match on here, they will win the sledging match tomorrow as well but can they win the football match....... Probably.