Doire v Mhuineacháin 24/5/09

Started by Oakleafer93, April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unforgiven

Quote from: Schkite on May 25, 2009, 01:02:02 PM
Quote from: unforgiven on May 25, 2009, 12:49:59 PM

My viewing of the incident was that the ball went out of play and hopped over the fence.  Hughes came chasing the ball and deliberately pushed the spectator.  Looked like he deserved to be punched if that was the case

Yeah just like McManus deserved to get a knee in the balls for the "rugby tackle"  ::)

I didn't see the incident, but if a Derry supporter was acting the bollix and holding onto the ball when we needed it back quickly, Hughes had every right to go in and force it from him. As I say I didn't see it but if he pushed him he had a reason to, he's not a dirty player and you'll notice he didn't partake in any of the bullshit on the field that's we're discussing today, I wouldn't think he'd jump into the crowd and push someone for no reason. But punching a player is wrong, I doubt Hughes deserved it if this story is true.

Firstly, I never mentioned the McManus/Mullan incident

Also, I only saw the Hughes incident once.  I don't think the spectator was holding onto the ball, Just thought Hughes was overly aggressive and pushed the spectator.  Didn't see spectator punching him (that's not to say it didn't happen).  You're version is full of 'ifs and buts'.  Probably would be helpful if you saw the incident before commenting on it.

rrhf

Enjoyed this game immensely compared to the bland fare of the previous week,  2 determined teams kick start the ulkster championship with a competitve edgy and downright nasty tussle... lovely.   I think derry wans will be happy that they can out cynic even the most cynical.  As for the incidents well theres going to be more of these video casualties with Mullen / Doc etc certainties to miss the nest round of the Ulster championship. Im waiting for the condemnation similar to the tommy mc guigan stuff from some of our steady derry posters, but those who cried for video evidence to be used must now surely regret doing so.. this could be the bane of the championship.   

Zulu

Quote from: JMohan on May 25, 2009, 01:18:24 PM
Quote from: Zulu on May 25, 2009, 12:56:54 PM
QuoteSo if it's seen and not punished ONLY then can it be called persistant.

Not sure what you mean there JM but the fact is you can make 3 or 4 fouls and face no sanction whatsoever, you keep talking about implementing the current rules but we've had them for 125 years and they have never been implemented properly. So there is clearly a problem and in fairness to refs there are so many contacts in football that it would be nigh on impossible to get anything like consistency. The new rules cleared things up for both refs and players, you knew if you tackled neck high for example you'd probably get sent off. This is exactly what we need, though I wouldn't put neck high tackles in the serious category myself, but we do need to put a sanction in for cynical fouling and persitant fouling. What about sin binning the next player who fouls once a team reaches, for example, 10 fouls? Now I'm not sure I'd support that one myself but anyone who feels that the solution is to implement the current rules is either not watching football for very long or needs to think outside the box a bit. What we've done hasn't worked, so it is time to experiment with something different, it has to be worth a go and if we did it at U21 and minor first and/or in the league for two years then we could make an informed opinion without having to listen to senior IC managers talking bullshit.

By the way we should seperate hurl;ing from football on this so they don't fail because hurling folk think there is nothing wrong with hurling.

What I mean is - if a guy pulls a jersey - tick him
If a guys pulls it twice YC him
If it's done 3 times - Red

This isn't done.
Ref's back down from the ultimate sanction for pulling a jersey most often if the guy has been booked already.

People will say you can't red card for pulling a jersey - but after 3 occasions of persistant fouling then you have to!
That's what you call enforcing the rules we have IMO.

I agree and have no problem with that but I can understand why refs cop out of this type of red card and you can be sure that the world and his mother would come down on his shoulders if he sent 3 or 4 guys off for this type of thing. We'd have lads here complaining about consistency because other players also committed 3 fouls and managers complaining about how there wasn't a bad foul all day yet three lads got sent off. A happy medium is the way to go IMO, where we disagree JM is that I don't think the current rules will ever be implemented so we need something different. Managers will tell you one day that the rules are there just implement them but if they do they'll then complain about that, the ref has the hardest most unrewarding job in the GAA and we need to make it easier for him, not simply demand that he displays a strength of character and quality of performance that is all to sadly lacking for everyone else in the GAA.

Main Street

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on May 25, 2009, 10:15:24 AM
Indiana Dublin were involved in a brutal league game against Monaghan last season, which your stats man came on and head butted one of the Monaghan players. How do you think a team should take on Monaghan as a matter of interest ( I am not defending a Derry player kneeing someone in the privates, but I am defending our aggressive manner in meeting Monaghans methods )
Better teams than Derry have beaten Monaghan without having to resort to blatant dives, dragging players down  when breaking out of defense and other random acts of expression on a field of play.  Kildare were particularly impressive I thought  with Tyrone and Kerry being two other obvious examples.
Derry set out to play that way right from the start.
If anyone thinks that Derry just made the aggressive approach up as they went along, need their football brain examined.
Derry don't appear to know the meaning of control when it comes to upping the extra physical side of the game.

If I was a Derry man i'd be more concerned at the 45 minutes of the game that Derry were outplayed and should have been put away by a Monaghan team.

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: Main Street on May 25, 2009, 01:47:57 PM
Indiana Dublin were involved in a brutal league game against Monaghan last season, which your stats man came on and head butted one of the Monaghan players. How do you think a team should take on Monaghan as a matter of interest ( I am not defending a Derry player kneeing someone in the privates, but I am defending our aggressive manner in meeting Monaghans methods )
Better teams than Derry have beaten Monaghan without having to resort to blatant dives, dragging players down  when breaking out of defense and other random acts of expression on a field of play.  Kildare were particularly impressive I thought  with Tyrone and Kerry being two other obvious examples.
If anyone thinks that Derry just made the aggressive approach up as they went along, need their football brain examined.
Derry don't appear to know the meaning of control when it comes to upping the extra physical side of the game.

If I was a Derry man i'd be more concerned at the 45 minutes of the game that Derry were outplayed and should have been put away by a Monaghan team.

Your not a derry man and you got beaten. No had no answer in the final 10 when we opened up with 14 players.

DennistheMenace

I'm actually quite pleased in that we didn't play well and still managed to win even with one man deficit in the last 15 minutes.

Add to the fact that our midfield had a very off day and our main man for breaking ball Murphy didn't leather it and it shows how much we can improve.

As I said, alot of positives to take into the next game and other areas that definitely need addressed.

A win was the main thing, performance very secondary at this stage in the championship.

Main Street

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on May 25, 2009, 01:50:21 PM

Your not a derry man and you got beaten. No had no answer in the final 10 when we opened up with 14 players.

Are there any rational football fans in Derry?
or is all playground  taunts?

JMohan

Quote from: DennistheMenace on May 25, 2009, 01:52:19 PM
I'm actually quite pleased in that we didn't play well and still managed to win even with one man deficit in the last 15 minutes.

Add to the fact that our midfield had a very off day and our main man for breaking ball Murphy didn't leather it and it shows how much we can improve.

As I said, alot of positives to take into the next game and other areas that definitely need addressed.

A win was the main thing, performance very secondary at this stage in the championship.

I think Derry will play much better now they've got over that hurdle yesterday.

That was a dogfight and they learned that lesson. Derry can play good football and it showed.
I was most impressed at how they managed with all the injuries.

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: Main Street on May 25, 2009, 01:55:13 PM
Quote from: Maximus Marillius on May 25, 2009, 01:50:21 PM

Are there any rational football fans in Derry?
or is all playground  taunts?

and what do call that in bold...its not a taunt?

boojangles

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 25, 2009, 10:36:21 AM

Cass has a reputation for playing a particular style of effective, if not overly-attractive, football; he i snot reknowned for preparing teams to win by common thuggery. By this stage, McEnaney certainly is. The blame for yesterday's events lies almost entirely with how the GAA has failed to deal with this Monaghan squad.

Whilst you can look at individual incidents involving Derry, you have to look at the whole ethos of the Monaghan team and I would encourage the heirarchy of the GAA to consider excluding Monaghan from the qualifier draw. I certainly wouldn't want them and their tactics sullying the hallowed turf of Casement Park later this summer.

Saffron cop the f**k on will ya.I was at the game yesterday as a neutral(Cavan man) and I seen bad incidents from both sides.Both teams played on the edge and at times it wasnt pretty but it was Ulster football,played at an intensity which at times was brilliant. Blaming Monaghan solely for yesterdays spectacle and saying they shud be left out of the Qualifiers is totally outrageous.I tell ya one thing,I would love if my club played with the same intensity that either team played with yesterday.No Quarter asked No Quarter given.Let the Media go to town and highlight the bad incidents,and rightly so.But dont talk as if yesterdays game is alien to us,its not,it was Ulster football,with extra bad blood thrown in.Some lads will get suspensions and deservedly so,but lets leave it at that.

bingobus

Quote from: boojangles on May 25, 2009, 02:03:53 PM

Cass has a reputation for playing a particular style of effective, if not overly-attractive, football; he i snot reknowned for preparing teams to win by common thuggery. By this stage, McEnaney certainly is. The blame for yesterday's events lies almost entirely with how the GAA has failed to deal with this Monaghan squad.

Whilst you can look at individual incidents involving Derry, you have to look at the whole ethos of the Monaghan team and I would encourage the heirarchy of the GAA to consider excluding Monaghan from the qualifier draw. I certainly wouldn't want them and their tactics sullying the hallowed turf of Casement Park later this summer.

Saffron cop the f**k on will ya.I was at the game yesterday as a neutral(Cavan man) and I seen bad incidents from both sides.Both teams played on the edge and at times it wasnt pretty but it was Ulster football,played at an intensity which at times was brilliant. Blaming Monaghan solely for yesterdays spectacle and saying they shud be left out of the Qualifiers is totally outrageous.I tell ya one thing,I would love if my club played with the same intensity that either team played with yesterday.No Quarter asked No Quarter given.Let the Media go to town and highlight the bad incidents,and rightly so.But dont talk as if yesterdays game is alien to us,its not,it was Ulster football,with extra bad blood thrown in.Some lads will get suspensions and deservedly so,but lets leave it at that.

That nicely sums it up boojangles.

Brolly was way out of order yesterday...praising Doherty cause he knows him and he's a fine gael, nice fella and does work in the community!!! WTF, his actions can't be dismissed cause of that, this fella was red carded last year as well if I recall. Was he nice then as well? But Dick is nasty according to Brolly and obviously doesn;t do enough community work and isn;t  a real gael.

Brolly and Tohill last night where trying to take the heat out of Derrys antics and shift the blame to Monaghan, It took two to tango and Monaghans disciplinery record on all fronts would be good. There hasn't been too many club games abandoned (bar one) over the last few years in Monaghan. It seems a regular enough event in Derry.

the green man

Quote from: bingobus on May 25, 2009, 02:14:09 PM
There hasn't been too many club games abandoned (bar one) over the last few years in Monaghan. It seems a regular enough event in Derry.

I dont recall any

Maguire01

Quote from: bingobus on May 25, 2009, 10:13:40 AM
Also heard that the area behind the stand is very narrow and toilets all down one end and at half time a serious crush was developing with alot of children involved.
Yep, new stand is nice, but the exit areas are very narrow and there was some crushing trying to get in and out at times. Also, stewards did absolutely nothing to help the situation - just looked on.

Maguire01

That is the most stupid comment i've read on here in a while. And there's been serious competition.

Schkite

Quote from: the green man on May 25, 2009, 02:16:07 PM
Quote from: bingobus on May 25, 2009, 02:14:09 PM
There hasn't been too many club games abandoned (bar one) over the last few years in Monaghan. It seems a regular enough event in Derry.

I dont recall any

What about the match between Slaughtneil and Ballinderry last year? That's one off the top of my head.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2008/1009/derry.html