The Irish Times' Keith Duggan on Ireland v England at Croke Park

Started by IolarCoisCuain, February 28, 2009, 11:19:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

Ahh, Cavan football.....the auld man of the GAA, sitting in the corner with his peaked cap and pint of plain blathering on about the Polo grounds. How sad.

Puckoon

Quote from: ardal on February 28, 2009, 11:41:01 AM
And at least they won't have to feel guilty about being English.

I'm still in the no camp, so why shouldn't they feel guilty?

What a moronic statement.

Something to do perhaps with being 15 young fellas who are there to play sport and so far removed from any previous English trangressions against "the irish".

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on February 28, 2009, 09:40:44 PM
QuoteWouldnt rate the entertainment value of todays match as higher than Tyrone Kerry in 2003. Dont think we'll be hearing about it for 2 years though. Instead there'll be a bit of spin about how physical it was.

You're right. Tyrone played a much better brand of rugby that day.

Nice try but Im not reacting to that. My point was that rugby do hype much better than the gaa. Yesterdays match for the most of it was brutal with little happening. Looking at the cusack stand midway through the 1st half and the isles were filled with people heading to the exits for whatever reason and they'd paid 90 euro in. But you'll hear very little about the dreadful 1st half. There's no way it will be talked about for the next 5 years by rugby commentators. I flicked over at half time to rte and they were talking away about the great physicality etc.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on March 01, 2009, 10:29:12 AM
QuoteWouldnt rate the entertainment value of todays match as higher than Tyrone Kerry in 2003. Dont think we'll be hearing about it for 2 years though. Instead there'll be a bit of spin about how physical it was.

Nice try but Im not reacting to that. My point was that rugby do hype much better than the gaa. Yesterdays match for the most of it was brutal with little happening. Looking at the cusack stand midway through the 1st half and the isles were filled with people heading to the exits for whatever reason and they'd paid 90 euro in. But you'll hear very little about the dreadful 1st half. There's no way it will be talked about for the next 5 years by rugby commentators. I flicked over at half time to rte and they were talking away about the great physicality etc.

I totally agree with Tyrone Dreamer's first point I've highlighted. It's nearly always the first thing that's on the sports headlines and all of the newspapers have it on their back pages, (with GAA inside along with soccer). Lord knows where I'll find the reports of the hurling games tomorrow after that one point win. Of course if it wasn't a yuppies game it wouldn't get all the attention.

As for the 2nd part I've highlighted,  :o :o :o for what looked like a game of 'give the ball to the opposition' in a rather dull first half.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

anglocelt39

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on March 01, 2009, 04:07:26 AM
Ahh, Cavan football.....the auld man of the GAA, sitting in the corner with his peaked cap and pint of plain blathering on about the Polo grounds. How sad.

Tis sad indeed I'll grant you Mikey, but it's made up for in entertainment value by Kerry men blathering on about the Polo grounds, how poor aul paddy bawn took a false blow from the Gunner blah blah blah
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Jinxy

Sure u Nordies love that stuff.
We could have a game where every ball was plucked cleanly from the sky and fellas were curling the ball over from the sidelines with the outside of their boot and there would be folk on here lamenting the lack of "intensity".  ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

anglocelt39

Quote from: Jinxy on March 01, 2009, 02:25:59 PM

We could have a game where every ball was plucked cleanly from the sky and fellas were curling the ball over from the sidelines with the outside of their boot and there would be folk on here lamenting the lack of "intensity".  ;D

Meathman slagging off the Nordies for their alleged like of the physical stuff...................has the amnesia kicked in there Jinxy?
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Tyrone Dreamer

We might like to see it physical but we also like a bit of action in terms of scores/chances etc. Thankfully I've yet to see a match were there was only 2 scores in over 40 minutes and they were both placed balls in front of the goals.

unforgiven

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on March 01, 2009, 03:57:37 PM

We might like to see it physical but we also like a bit of action in terms of scores/chances etc. Thankfully I've yet to see a match were there was only 2 scores in over 40 minutes and they were both placed balls in front of the goals.

I remember Tyrone only getting 2 scores in 40 minutes against Derry in Healy park in 2006

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: unforgiven on March 01, 2009, 04:09:28 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on March 01, 2009, 03:57:37 PM

I remember Tyrone only getting 2 scores in 40 minutes against Derry in Healy park in 2006

And whats your point? Do Derry's scores not count?

red hander

Still hurting? Good...

Mike Sheehy

It was closer to Rugby Union. It was surprising. I thought it was only the prods that played Rugby up around those parts.

A Quinn Martin Production

Listen lads we should be supporting Mike here, given that GAA is the minority sport in his rugby province. ;)  You only have to look at the standard of the Munster football kingpins Drumcollogher to see that a GAA taskforce is required immediately.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties