2009 Grand Slam Champions

Started by Dinny Breen, January 27, 2009, 11:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcarrier

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 02, 2009, 03:42:38 PM
[
Are you serious? He won at least 2 penalties from making a tackle and getting to his feet and trying to win the ball. His awareness for the try was brilliant, positioned himself between the two forwards and attacked the ball low and hard.

As I said he is a great flanker  these days ;).

thejuice

Think these lads will be down for Armaghs next game in Croker?

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

GalwayBayBoy

Gordon D'Arcy, Peter Stringer, Rory Best and Denis Leamy have all been elevated to the starting XV after several appearances from the replacements bench during the first three games of the Championship and strong performances in the Magners League for their provinces.

D'Arcy starts his first game for Ireland in over a year after being named in the centre in place of Paddy Wallace, who moves to the replacements. Scrumhalf Peter Stringer takes up the No.9 jersey after swapping places with Tomas O'Leary who started the games against France, Italy and England.

The other two changes to the Ireland side are in the pack. In the front row, Rory Best is named at hooker with Jerry Flannery taking Best's position among the replacements. Denis Leamy, who came on in place of Jamie Heaslip during the England game, is picked to start the game at No.8 with Heaslip backing up from the bench.

The game will also be landmark for Ireland tight head prop John Hayes who will become the most capped Irish player of all time with 93 caps to his name, overhauling fellow Ireland squad member Malcolm O'Kelly's previous record.

IRELAND TEAM & REPLACEMENTS (v Scotland, 2009 RBS 6 Nations Championship, Murrayfield, Saturday, March 14, kick-off 5.30pm):

15 - Robert Kearney (UCD - Leinster)

14 - Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)

13 - Brian O'Driscoll (UCD - Leinster) Captain

12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne - Leinster)

11 - Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College - Leinster)

10 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution - Munster)

9 - Peter Stringer (Shannon - Munster)

1 - Marcus Horan (Shannon - Munster)

2 - Rory Best (Banbridge - Ulster)

3 - John Hayes (Bruff- Munster)

4 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution - Munster)

5 - Paul O'Connell (Young Munster - Munster)

6 - Stephen Ferris (Dungannon - Ulster)

7 - David Wallace (Garryowen - Munster)

8 - Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution - Munster)

Replacements:
16 - Jerry Flannery (Shannon - Munster)
17 - Tom Court (Malone - Ulster)
18 - Mick O'Driscoll (Cork Constitution - Munster)
19 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas - Leinster)
20 - Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin - Munster)
21 - Paddy Wallace (Ballymena - Ulster)
22 - Geordan Murphy (Leicester)

An Fear Rua

Wales lose Dwayne Peel for rest of 6 nations- torn hamstring
Its Grim up North

The GAA

Have to say i'm very surprised by kidney's changes. they are all marginal calls apart from d'arcy (how'd he play for leinster at the weekend) imo and its funny to make so many changes to a settled - and successful - team at this stage of the championship.

the reasoning i can see on the flip side is this: the scots will present a very physical and aggressive challenge and that's not a style this irish side has responded well to in the recent past. the scots can very easily be underestimated  and could cost us a slam. the newcomers will come in with the bit between their teeth and with possibly one chance to prove their case and won't weaken the team.

AZOffaly

What did Heaslip do wrong/Leamy do right in the past 2 weeks? Leamy wasn't fantastic against Newport, and Heaslip hasn't put a foot wrong really, although England wasn't his most noticeable performance.

I also think he's changing for change's sake with Best in for Flannery.

I can see what he's thinking with Stringer, trying to move the scots around.

The GAA

Paterson to start against Ireland

Scotland's record points scorer Chris Paterson will make his first Six Nations start of the season in Saturday's match against Ireland.

Paterson returns at full-back to replace Hugo Southwell for the encounter at Murrayfield.

Nathan Hines and Jim Hamilton could feature in the yet un-named second row.

The pair are vying with Ally Kellock and Jason White for starts. Prop Alistair Dickinson replaces the injured Allan Jacobsen.

Scotland coach Frank Hadden said: "It will be a close call in the second row but clearly we'll go with the players we believe give us the best chance of creating the sort of platform that we'll need to win against a fine Irish team.  Once we have finalised the lock selections we will complete our bench selection

Scotland coach Frank Hadden

"I've been impressed with Chris Paterson's attitude in this Championship.

"As ever, he's been the model professional, getting on with his job and he deserves the opportunity to start on this occasion.

"Once we have finalised the lock selections we will complete our bench selection. Here, we are also monitoring the welcome return to fitness of Rory Lamont."

The Scots received a fitness boost ahead of Saturday's clash after Hamilton, Hines and Lamont returned to training.

Lock Hines and wing Lamont have yet to feature in this year's competition and Hamilton missed the win over Italy.

Hines was expected to miss the entire campaign and defence coach Graham Steadman is happy to have all three back for Saturday's clash.

"The fact they're back training has given everyone a lift," he said.

The Scots are looking to build on the 26-6 victory over the Italians but have not beaten the Irish in the Six Nations since 2001.

But Steadman believes their chances of a win over the unbeaten championship leaders have improved with the trio's return.  
It's massive to have these experienced, quality players available

Scotland defence coach
Graham Steadman

"The early call on Jim Hamilton is very positive," he said.

"Nathan, being the experienced pro that he is, will give us an honest call post-session regarding how he has come through it.

"The fact Rory is training with us this week is a boost and it will be interesting to see how far down the track he is in terms of his levels of his fitness.

"It's massive to have these experienced, quality players available. It certainly gives us food for thought for our selection."

A continued problem for the Scots has been conceding cheap penalties at crucial stages of matches with only poor kicking from the Welsh and French sparing Frank Hadden's men from heavier defeats.

Steadman believes eradicating this could be key to a positive result with Irish fly-half Ronan O'Gara a regular points scorer against them from the boot.

"It's a stat I'm not too happy with, the fact we have conceded 38 penalties, compared to their 20. Off the back of that, 22 were kickable offences within range," he added.

"Thankfully (Wales kicker Stephen) Jones and the French guy Beauxis had a bit of an off-day. We were the better team in France and indiscipline cost us.

"It's something we have certainly got to tighten up on.

"Although Ronan O'Gara has not been kicking too well in his previous three games, he was the difference two years back at Murrayfield. He kicked everything and Ireland walked away with the Triple Crown."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scotland team to face Ireland:

Chris Paterson (Edinburgh), Simon Danielli (Ulster) Max Evans (Glasgow), Graeme Morrison (Glasgow), Thom Evans (Glasgow), Phil Godman (Edinburgh), Mike Blair (Edinburgh, capt); Alasdair Dickinson (Gloucester), Ross Ford (Edinburgh), Euan Murray (Northampton); Locks from: Jim Hamilton (Edinburgh), Nathan Hines (Perpignan), Alastair Kellock (Glasgow )and Jason White (Sale); Alasdair Strokosch (Gloucester), John Barclay (Glasgow), Simon Taylor (Stade Francais).
Replacements: Dougie Hall (Glasgow), Moray Low (Glasgow), AN Other lock, Scott Gray (Northampton), Chris Cusiter (Perpignan), AN Other, Hugo Southwell (Edinburgh).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/scottish/7934396.stm

The GAA

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 10, 2009, 01:30:46 PM
What did Heaslip do wrong/Leamy do right in the past 2 weeks? Leamy wasn't fantastic against Newport, and Heaslip hasn't put a foot wrong really, although England wasn't his most noticeable performance.

I can see what he's thinking with Stringer, trying to move the scots around.

I still don't think he's weakening the team and may give it a fresh impetus with the changes.
i'm not really convincing myself

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 10, 2009, 01:30:46 PM

Think he's looking to beef up the pack a little for the Scots who do have some big boys in there. Best I'd say could be in for his scrummaging ability as Euan Murray was fairly impressive in this regard against the Italians.

screenexile

Very surprised to see Kidney go with these changes but on previous experience he's a shrewd operator and imo he's keeping a few lads on their toes ahead of the last 2 games as in "If I don't think you're playing at your best I'll bring someone else in" which will have O'Leary, Flannery, Best and Heaslip champing at the bit if/when they do come on to impress for the last game against Wales.

I'm quite Happy he changed things up a bit as there is no way you can win a Slam with the same 15 players starting every game, it's just too much to ask. Obviously he's keen on keeping competition in the squad and if lads feel that they are all being given a chance then it can only improve things. Looking forward to this on eon Saturday!

bingobus

I would imagine that the team has been picked with next week in mind and these few changes may keep give the marginal positions the edge that Kidney is looking for.

I would say that Heaslip would come back into for Wales unless Leamy really puts himself in contention with a big display.

Horses for courses and all that.

The points are the key against an improving Scots side. Don't think the side is weakened to any extent.

magpie seanie

Actually think the changes are pretty shrewd myself. Doesn't weaken the team and possibly strengthens it for the type of game that will have to be played against the Scots. Stringer's pass is quicker than O'Leary's so ROG will get the ball quicker in the early exchanges giving him every chance of getting on his game. Lets face it - we need him playing well. Changes keep everyone on their toes too which is great.

Dinny Breen

QuoteStringer's pass is quicker than O'Leary's so ROG will get the ball quicker in the early exchanges giving him every chance of getting on his game. Lets face it - we need him playing well.

That's the key Seanie, Stringer who offers absolutely nothing other than a quick pass is picked purely as an aide to O'Gara, it might be a tactical masterstroke but it's something that worries me as Scotland offer a very passive defence and O'Leary's ability to break will be missed. The other selections are interesting and keeps players on their toes without totally weakening the side but Leamy is a better defensive player than Heaslip so I'm hoping that Kidney is going to bring on Heaslip, Wallace and O'Leary when the game is a bit looser probably with about 30/25 to go.
#newbridgeornowhere

Bord na Mona man

I'm a bit surprised at the changes.
Obviously Kidney is giving the Scots a lot of respect if he feels he need to change the pack that was effective against England and France.
I'd worry that Rory Best could end up throwing the line outs to Nathan Hines a lot!  ;D

Capt Pat

I wouldn't have made the changes myself lads, however I can seee what Kidney is trying to do in terms of this match and looking down the road to Cardiff and beyond. All the positions changed, the replacement coming in is just as good as the player dropped. In relation to Best for Flannery, Best will increase the scrummaging strength against a strong scottish pack, and negate an area where the Scots could have gained a big advantage. Stringer for O'Leary, one of the strengths O'Leary has apart from line breaking is his kicking game. Ireland have introduced a game plan similar to Argentina had getting third place in the world cup of putting up a lot of garyowens with O'Leary doing a lot of this. Scotland however only lost against Argentina by a point in the world cup indicating this us the type of game they would like to play. So as well of a qicker pass the inclusion of Stringer points to a change of tactic and getting the ball wide quicker and more often. Darcy for Wallace, Darcy as well as being the better player is the better attacking midfield runner and tackler which will be better for a game plan that will see us running the ball more. He is also very good on the ground in midfield which will be very important against the strong rucking Scots. As I said earlier Wallaces kicking strengths won't be required as much in this game. Leamy for Heaslip, Leamy is the more rugged type of scrappy player and a better rucker(important against the Scots) wheras Heaslip has better ball carrying skills. As I see us putting the ball wide more instead of Heaslip running off the base of the scrum, which could be a backward moving scrum against the powerful Scottish pack. It is hard to make good yards from number 8 when the pack are reeling backwards.

On the whole I think it is good to see Kidney making changes like this, I don't think the team loses very much over all if anything in terms of overall skill by making the 4 changes. The changes also look shrewd in terms of the opposition and likely tactics for this game. What is really good to see thinking back is changes like these never happened under O'Sullivan, not only do these changes look correct given the opposition they also will help increase a sense of competition within the matchday squad. Under O'Sullian and a lot of other coaches, change only came after a defeat or when a player was injured, this created complacency within the squads. Of the 4 players picked for this game I think Darcy retains his place for the Welsh game, the other 3 need to play out of their skins or close to perfect to hold on to their places.