Guillem Balagues Euro XI for 2008

Started by stiffler, January 02, 2009, 06:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiffler

Pepe Reina, Liverpool: He has become the best goalkeeper in the world. The shame is that with Spain he cannot perform regularly as the weight, history and influence of Casillas gives him priority.

Chiellini, Juve: Even Ancelotti says publicly he is the best defender in Italy. That says it all. He could improve playing the ball, but defensively he is a rock

Pepe, Real Madrid: If he didn't have so many injuries, he would be considered the best defender in the world. Fast, strong, clever and can play the ball. All you need from a centre-back in a team that leaves them exposed

Marquez, Barcelona: He is not as quick as he used to be, but now he replaces that with intelligence and he is the first forward when he recovers the ball; there are always good intentions in his passes.

Ronaldo, Manchester United: If Cristiano was a bit more humble I would like him to win all the accolades because he is the kind of player that makes things happen. But I still put a question mark next to him because apart from his personality - or maybe because of it - he still doesn't make an impact in all the big games, like Messi does.

Xavi, Barcelona: A friend and a player I admire. I love chatting football to him, he is a clever man but this year he has added goals and leadership to his game, so that makes him one of the top midfielders in the world.

De Rossi, Roma: The all-rounder. The player any manager would like to have in his team. An obedient, hardworker who has lots of quality on the ball.

Iniesta, Barcelona: He is one of the top left sided midfielders in the world. Used in the centre, in the right of the midfield, or the right of the attack, he is also one of the best in the world. He has one of those priceless qualities - to be an eight out of ten in any position any given day.

Messi, Barcelona The only player of this generation that will belong to the Olympus of di Stefano, Pele, Cruyff, Maradona and Zidane. Wait and you will see.

Torres, Liverpool: This could have been Benzema, Kun Aguero, del Piero, even Eto'o. Torres went through the difficult event of changing team and competition with total success, plus there was that goal in the Vienna final. One day I will explain the crazy things I did at that particular moment!

Ribery, Bayern Munich: He is a step above anybody in the Bundesliga; only Luca Toni comes close. As direct as usual, fast, aggressive and cheeky. He could take Bayern to the next level if only they had better defenders.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Square Ball

Quote from: hardstation on January 02, 2009, 07:07:48 PM
He's the Rossa man on the board but I think he must live in Down now.

yip, a good all rounder
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

full back

More bullsh1t best 11's  ::)
Reina is the biggest laugh of the lot :D

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: full back on January 02, 2009, 07:25:25 PM
More bullsh1t best 11's  ::)
Reina is the biggest laugh of the lot :D

Ok lets be mature about this...
Whose better and why ?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

thebandit

I'd pick Nemanja Vidic ahead of Pepe or Marquez. Its a funny looking formation as well!

Rufus T Firefly

Unfortunately my knowledge of world football is not detailed enough to give a crticial analysis of his team.

That though does not apply to my knowledge of goalkeepers playing in England. Pepe Reina - best in the world? You're having a laugh Guillem.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on January 02, 2009, 08:52:27 PM
Unfortunately my knowledge of world football is not detailed enough to give a crticial analysis of his team.

That though does not apply to my knowledge of goalkeepers playing in England. Pepe Reina - best in the world? You're having a laugh Guillem.

Would you agree he is the best in the Premier League seeing as he has won the last three Premiership Golden Gloves awards  ???

125 appearances for Liverpool in the Premiership with 68 clean sheets, 48 appearances in Europe for LFC 23 clean sheets...not bad IMO
So despite your limited knowledge of World football  ::)  I'm sure you can agree it is hardly laughable that he is rated one of the best keepers in the World
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 02, 2009, 09:41:48 PM

Would you agree he is the best in the Premier League seeing as he has won the last three Premiership Golden Gloves awards  ???

125 appearances for Liverpool in the Premiership with 68 clean sheets, 48 appearances in Europe for LFC 23 clean sheets...not bad IMO
So despite your limited knowledge of World football  ::)  I'm sure you can agree it is hardly laughable that he is rated one of the best keepers in the World

I don't be around the Board as often as I used to.

Let me ask - you're a Liverpool fan - aren't you?  ::)

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on January 02, 2009, 09:50:35 PM

No point in having a reasoned debate with you so I see,if thats the best you can come up with maybe you shouldn't bother  ::)
Liverpool doesn't come into it,apart from the fact I'm glad he is with Liverpool and not another team,If he played for another club and had the same record I would have the same opinion..
It's typical of posters to bring out the same aul shite everytime your opinion favours a Irish player or a player of a team you support while at the same time they forget the times you compliment players from other clubs whom you have stated you admire,like I have said about Rooney many a time or Scholes or Cech or Fabregas...
But sure as you said you don't be around the Board as often as you used to so I suppose you can be forgiven  ::)

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 02, 2009, 10:05:44 PM
No point in having a reasoned debate with you so I see,if thats the best you can come up with maybe you shouldn't bother  ::)
Liverpool doesn't come into it,apart from the fact I'm glad he is with Liverpool and not another team,If he played for another club and had the same record I would have the same opinion..
It's typical of posters to bring out the same aul shite everytime your opinion favours a Irish player or a player of a team you support while at the same time they forget the times you compliment players from other clubs whom you have stated you admire,like I have said about Rooney many a time or Scholes or Cech or Fabregas...
But sure as you said you don't be around the Board as often as you used to so I suppose you can be forgiven  ::)

I cannot imagine a debate, that entertains the notion of Reina as the best keeper in the world, could ever be 'reasoned'.

And I don't care who else you compliment horse - there can only be one best goalkeeper - it is not Reina.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on January 02, 2009, 10:13:43 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 02, 2009, 10:05:44 PM

I cannot imagine a debate, that entertains the notion of Reina as the best keeper in the world, could ever be 'reasoned'.

And I don't care who else you compliment horse - there can only be one best goalkeeper - it is not Reina.

And who do you reckon it is  ???
You'll Never Walk Alone.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on January 02, 2009, 09:50:35 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 02, 2009, 09:41:48 PM

Just because we are Liverpool fans doesn't mean we are not objective Rufus old boy.  Anyway, what would you know about goalkeeping anyway :P

Seriously though, Reina is a fine keeper, potentiallly one of the best to play for Liverpool, but he is helped by a very solid defence in front of him and a system which protects him well in the area that he is most vulnerable, set pieces and corners in particular.  He is one of the best in the world, but not the best.  Ir is no coincidence that he is a good friend of Guillem, as are half of the Liverpool squad by the look of his website, http://www.guillembalague.com/.  He is very much a Liverpool arse licker and another of Rafa's love-children.  I rate him as an analyst but his view is skewed a small bit over Liverpool players.  In saying that I would not swap Reina for any other keeper as he is steady, has a great understanding with is defence and has excellent distribution, similar to Smichael in his heyday.

pintsofguinness

I think van der sa is the best keeper in the world.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

thebandit

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 02, 2009, 10:15:57 PM
Seriously though, Reina is a fine keeper, potentiallly one of the best to play for Liverpool, but he is helped by a very solid defence in front of him and a system which protects him well in the area that he is most vulnerable, set pieces and corners in particular.  He is one of the best in the world, but not the best.  Ir is no coincidence that he is a good friend of Guillem, as are half of the Liverpool squad by the look of his website, http://www.guillembalague.com/.  He is very much a Liverpool arse licker and another of Rafa's love-children.  I rate him as an analyst but his view is skewed a small bit over Liverpool players.  In saying that I would not swap Reina for any other keeper as he is steady, has a great understanding with is defence and has excellent distribution, similar to Smichael in his heyday.

You wouldn't swop Reina for Casillas?

And comparing Reina to Schmeichel is like comparing big Jarlath to Sephen Cluxton :P

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"