BBC NI Bias?

Started by Applesisapples, August 20, 2019, 12:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Maybe I'm over sensitive but I have felt for some time now that BBC NI with a few notable exceptions treat nationalist politicians, especially SF differently to Unionists. Compare Jayne McCormicks aggressive interrogation or Martin o'Muilleoir (hope the spelling is good) with this morning's kid gloves handling of Arelene by Noel Thompson.

haranguerer

Agree wholeheartedly. and actually feel it has been getting worse over the last couple of years, perhaps as possibility of UI moves closer. I read Martin Dillons book on his life as a journalist (with the BBC for some time) lately, and it made clear the entrenched unionism in the BBC - a desire by top brass to 'meet one of them' (a loyalist killer), parties in the office on the 12th to watch parades etc - it seemed to have  moved on a bit, but now I'm not so sure at all.

Arlene on this morning saying must condemn violence whenever it is, rolling her eyes the night before at the murder of McAnespie, and posing with Para banners. That hypocrisy should have been pulled straight away.

Are any of their senior presenters nationalist? Certainly the major programmes are unionist, in ranging degrees of staunchness - Thompson, Nolan, Conor Bradford. There's often very little balance.

yellowcard

A lot of the old sectarianism still pervades the BBC. Nolan's indulgence of Jamie Bryson, Jim Allister, Jim Wilson, Nelson McCausland and the likes being a prime example. His show is like a sectarian version of Jerry Springer aimed at setting people off against each other. It relies on sensationalism and whipping poeple into a frenzy for the purposes of ratings. Gutter journalism which appeals to the lowest common denominator. In a divided society that we live in, his only loyalty is to his own pocket.   

balladmaker

Quote from: yellowcard on August 20, 2019, 01:04:57 PM
A lot of the old sectarianism still pervades the BBC. Nolan's indulgence of Jamie Bryson, Jim Allister, Jim Wilson, Nelson McCausland and the likes being a prime example. His show is like a sectarian version of Jerry Springer aimed at setting people off against each other. It relies on sensationalism and whipping poeple into a frenzy for the purposes of ratings. Gutter journalism which appeals to the lowest common denominator. In a divided society that we live in, his only loyalty is to his own pocket.

+1

bennydorano

A Snobby & an Elitist mentality would be more prevalent imo

Hereiam

Could not agree more with this. Anytime a DUP member is on the Radio they get to speak without interuption where as if an SDLP or SF member is on they are interrupted or told that "we are running out of time".
Their coverage of the All Ireland Hurling final last night was shocking, a brief mention at the end of the sports section, they would sickin your hole

screenexile

Load of old shite and a myth peddled by too many sure to listen to Loyalists they feel the same way both sides going out for their way to spout the "poor me" mentality!!

Snapchap

Quote from: screenexile on August 20, 2019, 02:12:45 PM
Load of old shite and a myth peddled by too many sure to listen to Loyalists they feel the same way both sides going out for their way to spout the "poor me" mentality!!

A myth? Are you for real?

A valid point I seen raised on twitter:

On the 25th Anniversary of the Shankill bomb, bbc ni was saturated on tv & radio with news reports, documentaries and radio and web coverage for five days. Links to much of their coverage can still be found with a quick google. In contrast, they did not make even one MENTION whatsoever of the Loughinisland Massacre on it's 25th anniversary on TV, radio or web.

Does that not tell you something?

Incidentally, they continue to refuse to broadcast the 'No Stone Unturned' film about the massacre.

bogball88

He was actually on the show this morning complaining how the BBC never contact him anymore to come on to shows lol

Horse Box

Quote from: Snapchap on August 20, 2019, 02:21:32 PM
Quote from: screenexile on August 20, 2019, 02:12:45 PM

A myth? Are you for real?

A valid point I seen raised on twitter:

On the 25th Anniversary of the Shankill bomb, bbc ni was saturated on tv & radio with news reports, documentaries and radio and web coverage for five days. Links to much of their coverage can still be found with a quick google. In contrast, they did not make even one MENTION whatsoever of the Loughinisland Massacre on it's 25th anniversary on TV, radio or web.

Does that not tell you something?

Incidentally, they continue to refuse to broadcast the 'No Stone Unturned' film about the massacre.

Well said !

RedHand88

Quote from: balladmaker on August 20, 2019, 01:16:07 PM

+1

+2

RedHand88

Quote from: bogball88 on August 20, 2019, 02:29:39 PM
He was actually on the show this morning complaining how the BBC never contact him anymore to come on to shows lol

That is because you are an idiot Jim!

Eamonnca1

David Dunseith is sorely missed. He was firm but fair. I always felt he gave it to both sides in more-or-less equal measure.

screenexile

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 20, 2019, 04:55:49 PM
David Dunseith is sorely missed. He was firm but fair. I always felt he gave it to both sides in more-or-less equal measure.

Carruthers and Crawley both do I think this thread is nonsense!!

Minder

Quote from: screenexile on August 20, 2019, 05:55:19 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 20, 2019, 04:55:49 PM

Carruthers and Crawley both do I think this thread is nonsense!!

Do people think Nolan and the presenters book the guests on these shows ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"