Galway vs Dublin - All Ireland Semi Final - 11/8/2018

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 06, 2018, 02:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easytiger95

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 09, 2018, 04:31:15 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on August 09, 2018, 03:03:35 PM
I remember us destroying Tyrone in a downpour in 2011.

And, to be fair, I remember them destroying us in a similar downpour in 2008.

This will be tighter then people think.

Dubs not the force of before, specifically 2015/2016 which I think will be seen as the high water mark of Gavin's reign.

Still should win here, but whoever comes out of the other semi has a big chance in the final.

Are you sure about that?

2015 beat Mayo by after a replay in the semi final and beat Kerry by 3 point in a drab AI final
2016 Beat Kerry by 2 points in the semi final and beat Mayo by one in the AI final after a replay

Kerry and Mayo are now in transition while I don't think we have seen the best of Dublin yet especially in AI final.

The three point win over Kerry in that "drab" game was our most dominant performance in an All Ireland final this decade (and also our most dominant performance over Kerry)

2016 semi final against Kerry was up there with the 2013 semi as one of the games of the decade - after that, I believe Mayo were unlucky not to get the win in the first game in 2016, and I don't think since then we have produced a performance to match Kerry 2015/2016 (I really think that the semi last year v tyrone was as much them not performing as it was us being good).

seafoid

Quote from: Zulu on August 09, 2018, 03:44:40 PM
On what basis are you predicting that? Nothing we've seen suggests Galway are significantly better than Monaghan or Tyrone and Dublin usually just get over the line in finals. Odd that you seem to give Galway a good chance this weekend yet expect Monaghan or Tyrone to be hammered. Can't see any logic in that line of thought.
I think the other semi is the weaker half. Tyrone are missing something and Monaghan did well to get to a semi.
Galway beat Mayo and Kerry who were ranked 2 and 3 earlier in the championship. I don't think rd 3 is relevant. Galway maybe have a 3/1 chance . If everything goes well you never know.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on August 09, 2018, 05:22:55 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 09, 2018, 03:44:40 PM
On what basis are you predicting that? Nothing we've seen suggests Galway are significantly better than Monaghan or Tyrone and Dublin usually just get over the line in finals. Odd that you seem to give Galway a good chance this weekend yet expect Monaghan or Tyrone to be hammered. Can't see any logic in that line of thought.
I think the other semi is the weaker half. Tyrone are missing something and Monaghan did well to get to a semi.
Galway beat Mayo and Kerry who were ranked 2 and 3 earlier in the championship. I don't think rd 3 is relevant. Galway maybe have a 3/1 chance . If everything goes well you never know.

Where teams was ranked at the start of the year is not relevant now. If Galway was playing Tyrone this weekend they would be underdogs with the bookies. Galway like Monaghan did well to get to a semi final this summer.

Rossfan

Hard to see anything other than a Dublin win by 6 or more.
I expect Galway will keep them dacent for about 45/50 minutes but will then be overran.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

What counts is next year and beyond and getting enough experience this year to kick on. The Dubs will fall apart at some stage. Will Kerry and Mayo be ready? Monaghan probably won't. Tyrone- depends on what happens this year. Donegal might be around. Galway might be too.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: seafoid on August 09, 2018, 09:12:37 PM
What counts is next year and beyond and getting enough experience this year to kick on. The Dubs will fall apart at some stage. Will Kerry and Mayo be ready? Monaghan probably won't. Tyrone- depends on what happens this year. Donegal might be around. Galway might be too.
It's probably fair enough to be talking about next year already, Dublin's 5-in-a-row bid will garner huge media interest. Listen it'll be Kerry or no-one to stop them. Certainly won't be Offaly like '82.

Mayo4Sam14

You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Syferus

Quote from: Aaron Boone on August 09, 2018, 10:59:32 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 09, 2018, 09:12:37 PM
It's probably fair enough to be talking about next year already, Dublin's 5-in-a-row bid will garner huge media interest. Listen it'll be Kerry or no-one to stop them. Certainly won't be Offaly like '82.

Have a look at Kerry. Now come back. Now delete that part.

sid waddell

Galway beat Kerry in the rain at Croke Park less than four weeks ago. They drew with Dublin in the league. They pushed Dublin pretty close in the league final at Croke Park. They've beaten Mayo consistently over the last three seasons.

These are results that people should be looking at, not last Saturday's, a game where one team would sort of have liked to have won, and the other team was willing to give up everything to win.

On an individual level none of Dublin's forwards fired that well against Donegal or Tyrone and there is no Connolly.

Of course there's a chance it all comes crashing down for Galway this Saturday, there's always that chance when you're playing Dublin, but I wouldn't bank on it being easy.

There's a real element of nobody giving Galway a chance here, either in Dublin, Galway or anywhere else. It's not like last year when most people thought Tyrone had a serious chance of winning and Dublin were affronted by the confidence the media and the public had in Tyrone.

That type of thing shouldn't matter but it can make a difference.

seafoid

Pundits such as Colm O'Rourke,Joe Brolly, Tomás Ó Sé and Dara Ó Sé have all written articles over the course of the season about how good Shay Walsh is, how restrictive the defensive system is and how the forwards should be let loose. Maybe this weekend may be the time to scaoil amach an bobailín

Tubberman

Quote from: seafoid on August 10, 2018, 09:00:51 AM
Pundits such as Colm O'Rourke,Joe Brolly, Tomás Ó Sé and Dara Ó Sé have all written articles over the course of the season about how good Shay Walsh is, how restrictive the defensive system is and how the forwards should be let loose. Maybe this weekend may be the time to scaoil amach an bobailín

Shay Walsh is from the next village over, and played 20 years ago.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

spuds

Quote from: Tubberman on August 10, 2018, 09:14:10 AM

;D

Best of luck to Galway tomorrow. Bookies (PP) have Dublin 1/7, 14/1 draw and Galway 11/2.

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

seafoid

Effin iPhones
Shane is better as well

TheGreatest

Quote from: spuds on August 10, 2018, 09:27:34 AM

;D

Best of luck to Galway tomorrow. Bookies (PP) have Dublin 1/7, 14/1 draw and Galway 11/2.

31 V 1.

A mayo man, suffered more defeats to Galway than Dublin through history.

mouview

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 10, 2018, 11:51:22 AM
Quote from: spuds on August 10, 2018, 09:27:34 AM

;D

31 V 1.

A mayo man, suffered more defeats to Galway than Dublin through history.

They've had their equal (almost absolutely) share of victories over Galway also, and none of the defeats have hardly been as heartbreaking as this decade's at the hands of the Dubs.

I really think Galway were being held back last Saturday, and will go at it all guns blazing tomorrow. Whether twill be enough, I don't expect so, but they have a punchers chance perhaps. Really need Michael Daly, for his scoring ability, to play well but I'm unsure how fit he will be. Brannigan's form has been regressing during the championship - oh to have a player of superior ability like Ml. Farragher to call on. I've consistently held the view also that we need one more managerial iteration to finally get the best of this team, but hopefully KW will have disproven that theory by 6.30ish pm amarach.