WHY DONT GAA PROMOTE CLUB GAME AND GIVE IT A BIG PLATFORM

Started by irish345, September 09, 2018, 07:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Quote from: thewobbler on September 09, 2018, 02:44:25 PM
Quote from: irish345 on September 09, 2018, 07:49:08 AM
All this talk of counties merging and counties splitting why not do more to promote the club game and maybe restructure the all ireland club championship maybe a 32 team open tournament for all county champions get rid of provincial championships have it like old european club champions cup you could bring in teams outside ireland too.

have games live on rte2 on friday nights saturday and sunday  with a final on a saturday at like 4pm

Show me a single club game in history, anywhere, that needed a "full house" sign, and then this conversation can begin.

Until then you're confusing your personal interests and preferences with that of the general public.

So don't promote it until its filling venues? That logic is entirely backwards

thewobbler

Quote from: haranguerer on September 10, 2018, 08:32:40 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 09, 2018, 02:44:25 PM
Quote from: irish345 on September 09, 2018, 07:49:08 AM
All this talk of counties merging and counties splitting why not do more to promote the club game and maybe restructure the all ireland club championship maybe a 32 team open tournament for all county champions get rid of provincial championships have it like old european club champions cup you could bring in teams outside ireland too.

have games live on rte2 on friday nights saturday and sunday  with a final on a saturday at like 4pm

Show me a single club game in history, anywhere, that needed a "full house" sign, and then this conversation can begin.

Until then you're confusing your personal interests and preferences with that of the general public.

So don't promote it until its filling venues? That logic is entirely backwards

Ok. Sure let's televise club matches in cricket, ladies hockey, cycling and bowls while we are at.

Promotion of games and national TV coverage of games are not the same thing.

haranguerer

I know. Not sure why you think they are? I read the initial post as chiefly about promoting the club championship, with tv coverage as an aside. (I don't agree with restructuring it either)

LeoMc

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 09, 2018, 05:39:31 PM
Club provincial championships are brilliant. The best games I was ever involved in were battles versus the likes of bellaghy and ballinderry. The club championship is brilliant as it is and should only be encouraged but not changed. I still believe the club finals should be maintained on st Patrick's day.

They are straight knockout. That adds an intensity that has been diluted in a number of Counties with Round-robin and back door re-entry.

APM

This has to be the stupidest concept I have seen yet.  The GAA is built on neighbouring rivalries and you want an open draw. There is a reason that you don't get huge crowds at club matches and its nothing to do with promotion.  Its all to do with demographics.  The following a club is limited to the size of their catchment and you aren't going to get people from Cullyhanna, Silverbridge and Culloville travelling to watch Crossmaglen's first round match somewhere in Munster. 

People hold up club football as some paragon of virtue.  That's absolute horseshit.  Take a look at the footage online of Slaughtneil and Magherafelt this weekend.  Look at the vast sums being paid to club managers all over Ireland. Look at clubs in Dublin attempting to buy success by incentivising inward transfers.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: APM on September 10, 2018, 09:46:50 AM
This has to be the stupidest concept I have seen yet.  The GAA is built on neighbouring rivalries and you want an open draw. There is a reason that you don't get huge crowds at club matches and its nothing to do with promotion.  Its all to do with demographics.  The following a club is limited to the size of their catchment and you aren't going to get people from Cullyhanna, Silverbridge and Culloville travelling to watch Crossmaglen's first round match somewhere in Munster. 

People hold up club football as some paragon of virtue.  That's absolute horseshit.  Take a look at the footage online of Slaughtneil and Magherafelt this weekend.  Look at the vast sums being paid to club managers all over Ireland. Look at clubs in Dublin attempting to buy success by incentivising inward transfers.

That's a bit of a paradox but I do get what you're on about. Club football is not always the greatest quality but the spirit of it is generally great and that is based on the local rivalry and the demographical spirit. In saying that money has had a negative impact but it's not the reason that teams play like they did in that Slaughtniel Magherafelt game. While it was the extreme you need to factor in too that the half was nearly over and Magherafelt were trying to close up shop till the whistle. Was the whole game like that? I coach a team and we were playing in the 1/4 final of the championship yesterday. We were 8 points up and in injury time. We got a sideline ball in the opposite half and kicked it back about 50 yards and played the ball round to run the clock down. This happens. That 2 minute slot from the Slaughtniel game is not necessarily reflective of the previous 30 odd minutes. If it is then there is a problem

five points

100% on the nail on all counts.

I'd like to see radical changes to the provincial and All Ireland club championships, and I think they're grossly overrated and are the tail that is wagging the club GAA dog in many counties.

Pretty much all the fixture pile-ups within counties are directly linked to counties having to give their county champions a fair crack at the provincial championships. This leads to bizarre situations like clubs playing county finals a week after winning a semi-final, or county final replays being played on week nights.

And the junior and intermediate provincial and All Ireland club championships are a joke, dominated by counties who artificially restrict the number of clubs playing senior championship and repeatedly featuring clubs who let themselves get relegated in a given year and beat all before them in the next year.

Cavan Gaels have dominated Cavan football since the millennium but had to win a relegation playoff in 2016 to avoid dropping to intermediate. Had they lost that game they would have probably have won the 2017 Ulster intermediate club championship but instead reached that year's Ulster senior club final. Which rather makes a mockery of the intermediate.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 10, 2018, 10:14:29 AM

That's a bit of a paradox but I do get what you're on about. Club football is not always the greatest quality but the spirit of it is generally great and that is based on the local rivalry and the demographical spirit. In saying that money has had a negative impact but it's not the reason that teams play like they did in that Slaughtniel Magherafelt game. While it was the extreme you need to factor in too that the half was nearly over and Magherafelt were trying to close up shop till the whistle. Was the whole game like that? I coach a team and we were playing in the 1/4 final of the championship yesterday. We were 8 points up and in injury time. We got a sideline ball in the opposite half and kicked it back about 50 yards and played the ball round to run the clock down. This happens. That 2 minute slot from the Slaughtniel game is not necessarily reflective of the previous 30 odd minutes. If it is then there is a problem

Was at two club championship matches at the weekend, doing the line at one and ref'ing the other, the intermediate game I heard the manager shouting, let the defenders have the ball when the other team was taking its kick out, playing a lone forward up front and not pressing until it reached half way! There was a point when the team had a sideline ball on the other teams 14 yard line and managed to play the ball all the way back to their keeper, this team was getting bate by 4 points at this point !!

The senior match lacked intensity and there was one tackle of note during the whole match, but in fairness to them they played 15 on 15, whether they change that system once they meet a team of a higher standard remains to be seen.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

An Watcher

The club championship is fantastic but there's no harm in trying to give it a wee boost. I don't know how but more coverage, better times, better venues could be a start. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: An Watcher on September 10, 2018, 11:12:52 AM
The club championship is fantastic but there's no harm in trying to give it a wee boost. I don't know how but more coverage, better times, better venues could be a start.

At club level Tg4 have two games on a Sunday once the club competitions start and they also have shown county finals also.. I don't know much more they can do, Our county has different games on from Friday through to Sunday night allowing as many supporters to go to the games.. Some standards are better than others and some games may like a high standard but are intense..

I'm all for counties showing these matches via their media outlet, but what are the rules on that sort of stuff, can a county PRO record a game live and put it on Facebook?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 10, 2018, 12:06:47 PM

At club level Tg4 have two games on a Sunday once the club competitions start and they also have shown county finals also.. I don't know much more they can do, Our county has different games on from Friday through to Sunday night allowing as many supporters to go to the games.. Some standards are better than others and some games may like a high standard but are intense..

I'm all for counties showing these matches via their media outlet, but what are the rules on that sort of stuff, can a county PRO record a game live and put it on Facebook?

Armagh GAA have their own television service and stream live games. There are issues at the minute with volunteers but it isn't great service. They will show live championship matches and you set up and online account and pay normally £3 or £5 for per broadcast. It's a great service and is the sort of thing that should be encouraged in my opinion

Milltown Row2

Quote from: five points on September 10, 2018, 10:39:41 AM

I'd like to see radical changes to the provincial and All Ireland club championships, and I think they're grossly overrated and are the tail that is wagging the club GAA dog in many counties.

Pretty much all the fixture pile-ups within counties are directly linked to counties having to give their county champions a fair crack at the provincial championships. This leads to bizarre situations like clubs playing county finals a week after winning a semi-final, or county final replays being played on week nights.

And the junior and intermediate provincial and All Ireland club championships are a joke, dominated by counties who artificially restrict the number of clubs playing senior championship and repeatedly featuring clubs who let themselves get relegated in a given year and beat all before them in the next year.

Cavan Gaels have dominated Cavan football since the millennium but had to win a relegation playoff in 2016 to avoid dropping to intermediate. Had they lost that game they would have probably have won the 2017 Ulster intermediate club championship but instead reached that year's Ulster senior club final. Which rather makes a mockery of the intermediate.

Good spread of counties that have won these titles and reached the final, Kerry would be the main culprit in this 'rigging' of things but thats a call that has to be made from HQ and give Kerry direction on this, I never know how their championship works.

7 different counties at Junior level have won it, similar at intermediate and not one Dublin team have won these

Crokes beat yesterday but are they still in the championship?

LeoMc

Another 2-3 weeks off the IC season would be a start. All Counties should then be able to finish out their championships by mid-September to allow the Inter-pro clubs championships to begin at the start of October.

five points

Quote from: LeoMc on September 10, 2018, 02:52:55 PM

Another 2-3 weeks off the IC season would be a start. All Counties should then be able to finish out their championships by mid-September to allow the Inter-pro clubs championships to begin at the start of October.
Too short as it is. The condensed season this year was a shambles and the muck will hit the fan soon when loads of intercounty players opt off panels because of the pressure cooker championship timetable.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 10, 2018, 01:24:43 PM
Quote from: five points on September 10, 2018, 10:39:41 AM

Good spread of counties that have won these titles and reached the final, Kerry would be the main culprit in this 'rigging' of things but thats a call that has to be made from HQ and give Kerry direction on this, I never know how their championship works.

7 different counties at Junior level have won it, similar at intermediate and not one Dublin team have won these

Crokes beat yesterday but are they still in the championship?

Here is the best explanation of the Kerry Championship, right up to date for you:

Preliminary Round (loser exits the competition)

St. Brendan's 0-16 West Kerry 1-9

Round 1 (16 teams, Open Draw, winners to Round 2A, losers to Round 2B)

South Kerry 1-14 Kenmare Shamrocks 0-13; Killarney Legion 2-14 Rathmore 2-12; Mid Kerry 2-14 An Ghaeltacht 0-10; Dr. Crokes 1-18 St. Kieran's 2-13; East Kerry 4-20 St. Brendan's 2-11; Kerins O'Rahilly's 3-15 Feale Rangers 0-16; Austin Stacks 2-22 Kenmare District 0-6; Dingle 3-18 Shannon Rangers 0-9.

Round 2A (Winners from Rd 1, 8 teams, Open Draw, winners go to quarter final, losers go to Round 3)

Killarney Legion 2-13 Mid Kerry 2-9; East Kerry 6-16 Dingle 2-10;
Kerins O'Rahilly's 3-18 Dr. Crokes 2-16; Austin Stacks 4-7 South Kerry 1-15.

Round 2B (Losers from Rd 1, 8 teams, Open Draw, winners to Rd 3, losers exit the competition)

Rathmore 0-17 Kenmare Shamrocks 0-15; An Ghaeltacht 2-18 Kenmare District 0-5;
St Kieran's 1-14 Feale Rangers 1-13; St Brendan's 6-11 Shannon Rangers 0-16.

Round 3 - 2A Losers v 2B winners (avoid repeat games), losers exit the competition

South Kerry v Rathmore; Mid Kerry v St. Brendan's;
Dr. Crokes v An Ghaeltacht; Dingle v St. Kieran's

Quarter Finals – Rd 2A Winners v Rd 3 Winners (4 v 4)

Seeded Draw: 2A Winners in one bowl and Rd 3 Winners in separate bowl.
Avoid repeat games if possible

Killarney Legion
East Kerry
Kerins O'Rahilly's
Austin Stacks

Semi-finals – Quarter Final winners (open draw)

Final – Semi Final winners