GAA Pensions?????

Started by Tony Fearon, November 30, 2006, 10:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Fearon

Was amazed to read in to-day's Irish News that a former prominent Ulster GAA Official is and I quote," in receipt of a lump sum 6000 euro/4000 stg pension per annum from the GAA"!!!

There was me thinking they are were and are all amateur volunteers????

Seriously how can these fcukwits oppose the payment of players with a straight face?

believebelive

full back

If true this is a disgrace.
Taking a pension from the GAA then crying about everything from finances to players trying to hijack the game by wanting some form of payment or relaxing of tax.
No doubt this pension is being backed up by a further pension from a cushy job that was also held.
BTW Tony, good thread, not often we get one from you nowadays :D

Tony Fearon

I can do serious when I want to!

Page 1 Headline story (though the gist is not about GAA pensions) and the disclosure about pensions is on page 8.

Obviously this, (ie Officials receiving pensions) is news to most Gaels. ???

Rois

The GAA run defined benefit and defined contribution pension schemes for salaried employees, of which they have a few.  Surely that's nothing new? 

Tony Fearon

No problem with salaried employees receiving pensions but this is a former Ulster President who I would have assumed was unsalaried (as opposed to the Chief Executive who is putting in his five day week 9 to 5 etc).

Rois

Quote from: Tony Fearon on November 30, 2006, 11:44:34 AM
...this is a former Ulster President who I would have assumed was unsalaried

But how do you know he hadn't some official function?  And even if the person doesn't work for them now, they can still get a pension from them.    Four thousand a year doesn't sound like much - sounds like the person worked for them for a few years only, if it's a pension in the true sense of the word.  Can you post the article?  Can't get my hands on a paper till lunch.

ziggysego

Seen that in the paper too.

One rule for the players and grass roots and another for the fat cats.
Testing Accessibility

magpie seanie

This is a bullshit story. Any pension received from the GAA is for a former salaried employee.

Tony Fearon

My apologies.On a circumspect reading of the article in its entirety it would seem that the person in question held at one time the full time salaried position of Ulster Council Secretary, in which case he would be entitled to a pension

full back

TORGAEL

Never worry. Its better these things are seen & discussed than not mentioned at all. This thread was started in good faith , was it not !

Rois

Shamrock Shore

Bogball XV

Perhaps that pension, meagre as it is should be diverted to his victims, from whom he has managed to avoid paying damages due his clever use of the law - you would think that he would at least try and make some sort of reparations at this stage?