Leinster Senior Football Championship 2019

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 11, 2018, 10:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

The Laois senior footballers have been drawn to face Westmeath in the quarter final of the Leinster championship for 2019.
It is a good draw for Laois as they are on the side of the draw that means they cannot face Kildare or Dublin unless we reach the final.
If Laois defeat Westmeath, they will face either Meath, Offaly or Carlow in the semi final.
John Sugrue's men will be bidding to replicate their run from last year which saw them reach the final for the first time in 11 years this year.

And it was that run that saw them seeded for tonight's draw along with Dublin, Longford and Carlow meaning they avoided having to play in the first round for only the second time since 2009.

Last year. Laois began their campaign in Round 1 away to Wexford where they trailed by ten points at half time but came back to force extra time where they eventually won.
They then faced Westmeath in the quarter final where a Paul Kingston hat-trick did the business to see Laois into their first semi final since 2009.
Here, neighbours Carlow lay in their way once more but Laois got the better of them for the third time this season to reach the final.

This ultimately proved a step too far for Laois as Dublin triumphed and Laois were eliminated two weeks later when they lost in Round 4 of the Qualifiers to Monaghan.
We can only hope that 2019 will bring half as much excitement as 2018 did.

LAOIS TODAY..
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Chrimtain

Nice draw! Can we take advantage of it though? First off its Westmeath, and they will be hungry for revenge. If we can get over that, it should be Meath, but don't write off Offaly. Could we possibly achieve the double of promotion and a Leinster Final appearance again?

Hopefully this divisional championship will throw up a few new faces who will help us achieve that.

Laois Rising

It's a fantastic draw and we have the added bonus of not having to face a side who has a championship game under their belts going into the quarter final. Westmeath will be much tougher proposition twelve months on from this year's championship game. Heslin and co. will be out to make amends for a write-off of a year. Things were not right in their set up this year and, with the manager that is in place now, I would expect that to be rectified by the time we face them.

The draw should also encourage buy in from lads-realistic target of a division three title and another Leinster final appearance with possibility of reaching a super-eight.

South Laois man

Anyone know if we have a home and away arrangement with Westmeath?

portlaoisekid

Decent draw, Westmeath and Meath for a place in a Leinster final is a tough test but we are capable of reaching the final.

2018 could be tough year and we badly need to unearth a number of players . If we can then we should be aiming to get into a Leinster final and push for a super 8 placing.

BallyroanAbbey

What i could see happening is that we finish mid table in the league leinster semi and 3rd round of qualifiers and there will be calls for sugrue's head. In the space of a year lads have went from football is dead in laois to super 8s and back to back promotions. Reality is we got way further than anyond thought but we played nobody in the league and beat wexford (D4) after extra time, a shocking Westmeath team and Carlow (D4) to get to a leinster final, hammered there no shame in that and brody prevented an annialation against Monaghan, if we got what i suggested at the start id be happy enough but unfortuntely the majority of laois football supporters way from drastically in expectations with no middle ground

Don Draper

Quote from: BallyroanAbbey on October 12, 2018, 04:08:39 PM
What i could see happening is that we finish mid table in the league leinster semi and 3rd round of qualifiers and there will be calls for sugrae's head. In the space of a year lads have went from football is dead in laois to super 8s and back to back promotions. Reality is we got way further than anyond thought but we played nobody in the league and beat wexford (D4) after extra time, a shocking Westmeath team and Carlow (D4) to get to a leinster final, hammered there no shame in that and brody prevented an annialation against Monaghan, if we got what i suggested at the start id be happy enough but unfortuntely the majority of laois football supporters way from drastically in expectations with no middle ground
Calls for Sugrue's Head  ;D

Laoiseabu

I'd say Westmeath will be tougher bet this time around . You'd assume with the new manager and maybe the return of a few players would mean there house will be in order

Chrimtain

Could John Sugrue attract Colm Boyle and Conor Meredith back for next year?

ollie12

merman

Gary Saunders would be a fine addition.

SCFC

We'll be planning without Niall Donoher anyway. Big loss not just on the field but also for his presence around the dressing room and squad.
Presume Brendan Quigley is also unlikely to be back next year?
I think the 2003 and 2004 minors are down to Timmons and Begley now. Maybe Davy Conway too?

Laoiseabu

It's nearly the end of an era . What great stalwarts they were over the years .

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: SCFC on October 26, 2018, 05:19:26 PM
We'll be planning without Niall Donoher anyway. Big loss not just on the field but also for his presence around the dressing room and squad.
Presume Brendan Quigley is also unlikely to be back next year?
I think the 2003 and 2004 minors are down to Timmons and Begley now. Maybe Davy Conway too?

Blow for Laois footballers as key forward set to retire

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2018/10/26/blow-for-laois-footballers-as-key-forward-set-to-retire/
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Don Draper

Sorry to see Niall retire, think he had a few more year in him. I know he had a lot of injuries, but he was in good fettle and you'd have hoped the sniff of another Leinster Final next year would have been enough to keep the horse in the race. Anyway, a good servant, boxed over his weight for a good many years. Another fine example of a man from a junior/intermediate (and now senior) club contributing handsomely to his counties cause. Courtwood have a fine tradition of doing so.

In other news, I fully expect Cahir Healy to tog out for the Laois footballers in 2019.