Sunday Life article

Started by Therealdonald, March 09, 2018, 06:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: Jinxy on March 10, 2018, 02:04:29 PM
The term 'GAA star' is basically used by the media to describe anyone who ever kicked a ball in his life.
And especially if he's done something bad.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on March 10, 2018, 03:00:37 PM
The term 'GAA star' is basically used by the media to describe anyone who ever kicked a ball in his life.

Is being chased out by dissidents something bad?

longballin

Quote from: Syferus on March 10, 2018, 04:31:30 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 10, 2018, 03:00:37 PM

Is being chased out by dissents something bad?

it isn't good  8)

Rossfan

I was commenting in general. "Independent" great for GAA Star robs old lady type stuff.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

square_ball

Quote from: Rossfan on March 10, 2018, 06:01:15 PM
I was commenting in general. "Independent" great for GAA Star robs old lady type stuff.

Sickens my shite that. A lot of the papers up north are prone to using that regularly.

In terms of this one tomorrow it's obviously about drumming up interest in that the lad is a club player as opposed to some high profile GAA star. The story is very much real though and shows the scum that are still hanging around these parts.

brokencrossbar1

Typical rag shit by the Sunday Life. Used to only buy it for the jobs section!!!

Don't know anything about the lad himself or the actual story. On a general note though I see square ball referring to the dissidents as scumbags, which they undoubtedly are. The thing is they wouldn't take or threaten to take this action if the lad or any other person was on the straight. In certain areas, and I very much include my own , there is a vacuum of law and order where the 'street' rules apply. Would that be the case where this lad is from? I'm curious as for all the support SF have given to the Polcing Board and the PCSPs etc there is still a huge level of distrust in the police and the same back from them. I had first hand experience of it recently and spoke to a friend who works in the prosecution services and they were very taken aback about what was happening. Definite disparity of attitudes towards people by the police and this just creates further gaps and opportunities for the likes of dissidents or drug dealers or general hard men criminals to 'enforce the law' and funnily the joes on the street where I'm from anyway often think back to a time when there was no common criminality due to the 'community policing'.

Tony Baloney

Quoteno common criminality due to the 'community policing

LOL tell that one to HMRC and TV Licensing and farmers getting their machinery and cattle stolen and people getting their land and waterways contaminated by dumped cubes of acid. All victimless crimes.

PMG1

Wouldn't buy the rag. Did it give the lads name and where he was from?

RedHand88

Quote from: PMG1 on March 11, 2018, 10:24:18 AM
Wouldn't buy the rag. Did it give the lads name and where he was from?

His name, a photo, his age, his club, what he had for breakfast etc.

square_ball

In fairness his family were the ones telling their side of the story so not as if the Sunday Life have exposed it. Smart move by them imo.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 11, 2018, 10:00:08 AM

LOL tell that one to HMRC and TV Licensing and farmers getting their machinery and cattle stolen and people getting their land and waterways contaminated by dumped cubes of acid. All victimless crimes.

Not saying it's true....Simply people's perception

Tony Baloney

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 11, 2018, 12:29:59 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 11, 2018, 10:00:08 AM

Not saying it's true....Simply people's perception
It comes up in many areas. Plenty of people say there wouldn't be as many hoods about Lower Falls, students acting the maggot in the Holylands, people getting robbed in rural areas etc. if there was still the potential to get the business end of a baseball bat or the Black & Decker treatment. I'm not sure the Troubles is a time we want be harking back to as a golden age of community policing.

nrico2006

Been many an example of someone falling foul of an IRA man or relative and receiving some treatment. Scumbags.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

awideisneverasgood

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 11, 2018, 09:23:54 AM
Typical rag shit by the Sunday Life. Used to only buy it for the jobs section!!!

Don't know anything about the lad himself or the actual story. On a general note though I see square ball referring to the dissidents as scumbags, which they undoubtedly are. The thing is they wouldn't take or threaten to take this action if the lad or any other person was on the straight.

There are plenty of people on the straight and narrow in our communities who have been targeted by paramilitaries.

Jinxy

GAA star attacked elderly man with walking stick after row at chip shop

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/gaa-star-attacked-elderly-man-with-walking-stick-after-row-at-chip-shop-1.3424262

Never heard of this chap, but the article says he plays for Tyrone.
If you were any use you'd be playing.