Sins Against Journalism

Started by Syferus, July 14, 2013, 01:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Ok, so we know there's some real journalistic gems floating about so why not aggregate them for future reference, especially since many of these same journos seem to have it in for us poor old internet forum goers?

It should be said there's some wonderful journos out there, and even some of those have been prone to odd lapse; it's only to be expected in a system that requires endless churn.

Sometimes papers get tricky and don't upload their choicest cuts to their websites. No worries, these camera yokes are magical devices.

Anyways, the first entry into the hall of fame is perhaps the all-time leader in this category - Roy Curtis. Featured in the Sunday World (14/07/13), before the Dublin v. Meath Leinster final, any more fluffing of the Dub cubs by Roy and he'd be covered in ejaculate:

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

Roy Curtis! What can one say about the man. Not much I suppose.

J70

Jesus, that would almost make your skin crawl! ;D

Wildweasel74

Dublin hype band wagon in over drive, with Mr Curtis a yearly offender, hope they dont fall flat in their face or the next report is on why the dublin have only won 2 All-Ireland since `83

Wildweasel74

Just reading that in more detail, Roy talks some shit, if he had a footballing background he may know what he talking about. Nearly had to rad that report with the dictionary on stand by, cause he def wrote that with one in hand!!1

seafoid

Preternatural is a bit arsy for the Sunday World.

Syferus

Ok - time for my second inductee.

This one was a bit of a surprise to me - Hugh Farrelly was to my mind quite a good, decent rugby journalist for the Indo but it seems like he's been given a little more free reign since his defection to the Daily Mail. This is from the 12/07/13 edition of the Mail:

As a bonus, this was a box-out on the same column, I don't know if Hugh was trying to make a joke or has an axe to grind with supporters (and the internet):

Hardy

Rein. It's free REIN. Christ Almighty!

Jinxy

I wouldn't take Hugh Farrelly too seriously.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

bcarrier

Quote from: Hardy on July 19, 2013, 07:20:43 PM
Rein. It's free REIN. Christ Almighty!

;) no need to loose the head.

inexile

mouview

Just dedicate the rest of the thread to Vincent Hogan and be done with it.

Sidney