Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: clarshack on March 14, 2021, 12:23:56 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on March 13, 2021, 11:38:14 PM
Marvellous Marvin Hagler

RIP
Thomas Hearns posted on Instagram earlier that Hagler
was in the ICU fighting the after effects of the vaccine.
Hagler's wife said he passed away unexpectedly at home. RIP

Dougal Maguire

The result of the Hagler/Leonard fight has to be one of the greatest injustices in the history of boxing
Careful now

gallsman

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 14, 2021, 02:07:03 AM
The result of the Hagler/Leonard fight has to be one of the greatest injustices in the history of boxing

He won the fight in my book but that's not even close to being true. It was a close one.

ziggy90

Quote from: mouview on March 13, 2021, 11:50:56 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on March 13, 2021, 11:38:14 PM
Marvellous Marvin Hagler

Shame. Came from the golden era of middleweights, when the fights between the top practitioners were all classics.

So true.
RIP Marvin.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

An Watcher

Going to buy four Kings on the back of his death. Knew these fighters but not clear on various details. RIP

Dougal Maguire

I think the Hearns Hagler bout has to be one of the best of all time. Marvelous Marvin RIP
Careful now

bennydorano

So so sad, RIP. Undoubtedly the greatest boxing era ever, bought & read 4 kings last Autumn along with a couple of other Boxing books.  Still have the Duran biography to read.

As a kid I was a Sugar Ray fan boy, as I got a bit older I just loved Tommy Hearns, he was the real gunslinger, but I always knew Haglar was the best of the 4 - he just was.

grounded

Tragic. Awesome fighter. He had so many great fights during his career. Re-watching his fight with John Mugabi would have you wincing. RIP

StPatsAbu

Quote from: gallsman on March 14, 2021, 07:13:15 AM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 14, 2021, 02:07:03 AM

He won the fight in my book but that's not even close to being true. It was a close one.

Two completely differing styles, fighter v boxer, but the fact Hagler never once took a step backwards a draw would have been the fairer result.  Marvin, quite rightly, could not see how he was adjudged to have lost that fight.  Despite that loss he was the best middle weight of his generation and one of the best in history.

bennydorano

Hugh McilVanney described Leonard's split decision win as an epic illusion.

JPGJOHNNYG

quit yo jibbajabba

Yaphet Kotto

Yes you do

BennyCake

Fergal McCann, ex Tyrone senior team trainer died recently. Only 47.

BennyCake

Sabine Schmitz, racing driver and Top Gear presenter, aged 51.

Dougal Maguire

Peter Lorimer, Leeds Utd legend. RIP
Careful now