Kerry v Galway, All-Ireland Senior Football Final. 24 July, 2022

Started by IolarCoisCuain, July 11, 2022, 10:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

I don't mind McStay but I think Fitzmaurice is a very good co-commentator.
Probably the fact that he has skin in the game maybe is the reason he is not on.

rrhf

I think Galway cannot afford to lay back on Kerry. I think if they look at Tyrones win last year and in Killarney this year, if you lay back Kerry will score enough from less chances. You must go at them with runners and support runners - blitzkreig.  For the first time in a long time Kerry defensive unit will tackle in groups which in my head means a forward will need 2-3 possessions more than normal to get a score, he will need the support runners coming at speed and must not get caught in pockets or in static positions. You can sit back of course, but you cannot win, you must go at them with massive energy and in 3s. Tyrone defeated them in Killarney and Croke Park with a combination of patience and explosiveness but they did not hold back one bit or turn laterally very much.  The underdog must have a bite at it. To compare with Derry in the semi final. It was almost that because Derry didn't really have a  go at them that Galway realised they were on for a final and pushed on... the more positive team ultimately won and will win again on Sunday.
I suspect however Galway will revert on the occasion and be almost too patient. not much wrong with that but I think unless they bring an attacking running aggression, Kerry should score more than enough from less chances than any team in Ireland, if a defensive game materialises. Its a fascinating battle but I think Kerry are better, less careless and more mature than 2021, are very hungry and normally the better team will win if the hunger is equal. So whilst I predicted 12 points in the prediction thread I genuinely expect Kerry to win by 5 - 8 points. Cant wait.   

Maroon Manc

Quote from: seafoid on July 20, 2022, 10:05:11 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on July 20, 2022, 02:02:42 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 20, 2022, 12:23:47 PM
In 20 years Kerry have only beaten one psychologically stable team in an all Ireland final.
Does that stay at one if you stretch it to 22 years?
It's a bad record imo over 20 which is surely long enough. Even if you go back to 97 it is poor.. Kerry have not been very Kerry like.

That Galway team in 2000 had no Ja Fallon or Tomas Mannion and a half fit Kevin Walsh. Nearly forgot Joyce got glandular fever before the final and wasn't near fully fit, Sean Boylan worked miracles to get him there.

Probably wouldn't have won it the next year if they'd won that one.

rrhf

Was at those. Felt Joyce had the winning of the drawn game but he stayed out of position and away from Moynihan.  Galway were weak enough in those two games. They showed a little bit of the white flag and didn't bring the Galway Roar.  I havent been convinced about Galway football since having the stomach for it. Meath the following year were done. Do the Galway men on here believe they are ready or is it another hopeful Connaught crusade?  Kerry will eat hope for breakfast.. Its what they do...   

urbangael

Is the AI final a sell out yet?  Apparently tickets for the hurling final were available online 28 hrs before the match, Can anyone confirm?

seafoid

3 reasons Kerry may be beatable

1. They have a very bad record over the last 3 years, especially losing to Cork and Tyrone.

2. How important was beating Dublin? Mayo did it last year. Dublin are in transition. There was no Con O'Callaghan
Dublin got relegated.

3. The Kerry brand may not be what it used to be. They could never beat Tyrone in their prime nor Dublin in their pomp. Kerry also suffered during the 6 in a row.

Rossfan

Quote from: urbangael on July 21, 2022, 01:09:03 PM
Is the AI final a sell out yet?  Apparently tickets for the hurling final were available online 28 hrs before the match, Can anyone confirm?
Hurling Final tickets became available presumably returns from Co Boards.
Nearly all were Hill/Nally.
Unlikely to happen with football though
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: rrhf on July 21, 2022, 01:00:26 PM
Was at those. Felt Joyce had the winning of the drawn game but he stayed out of position and away from Moynihan.  Galway were weak enough in those two games. They showed a little bit of the white flag and didn't bring the Galway Roar.  I havent been convinced about Galway football since having the stomach for it. Meath the following year were done. Do the Galway men on here believe they are ready or is it another hopeful Connaught crusade?  Kerry will eat hope for breakfast.. Its what they do...   

Galway came back from 8 points to 1 down in the drawn game, you're talking absolute shite.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: rrhf on July 21, 2022, 01:00:26 PM
If you can find the first game on YouTube, I suggest you sit down and watch it because what you have described above is rubbish.  We should have won it the first day despite being 7 down at one stage.  No complaints in the replay, Kerry were the better team.

tbrick18

Quote from: rrhf on July 21, 2022, 10:25:41 AM
I think Galway cannot afford to lay back on Kerry. I think if they look at Tyrones win last year and in Killarney this year, if you lay back Kerry will score enough from less chances. You must go at them with runners and support runners - blitzkreig.  For the first time in a long time Kerry defensive unit will tackle in groups which in my head means a forward will need 2-3 possessions more than normal to get a score, he will need the support runners coming at speed and must not get caught in pockets or in static positions. You can sit back of course, but you cannot win, you must go at them with massive energy and in 3s. Tyrone defeated them in Killarney and Croke Park with a combination of patience and explosiveness but they did not hold back one bit or turn laterally very much.  The underdog must have a bite at it. To compare with Derry in the semi final. It was almost that because Derry didn't really have a  go at them that Galway realised they were on for a final and pushed on... the more positive team ultimately won and will win again on Sunday.
I suspect however Galway will revert on the occasion and be almost too patient. not much wrong with that but I think unless they bring an attacking running aggression, Kerry should score more than enough from less chances than any team in Ireland, if a defensive game materialises. Its a fascinating battle but I think Kerry are better, less careless and more mature than 2021, are very hungry and normally the better team will win if the hunger is equal. So whilst I predicted 12 points in the prediction thread I genuinely expect Kerry to win by 5 - 8 points. Cant wait.   

Good post.
It wouldn't be a major shock if Galway win, but you would expect Kerry to push on and win this one.
I think they have a little bit more quality all over the pitch. Galway do have some exceptional players, but they will all need to be playing to their absolute best to be in with a chance.
Whereas for Kerry, one or two could have an off day and they would still have enough.

All that being said, even though Galway are a bogey team for Derry, I've always had a soft spot for them. Would love to see them win it.

blanketattack

Quote from: Gael85 on July 21, 2022, 02:31:15 PM
Kerry planning their victory party already.

https://twitter.com/Kerry_Official/status/1550089794830712832?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

You mean Kerry, in advance of Sunday have organised their post match function like they've done for their last 30 All-Ireland finals?

I guess Galway are waiting til 6 O'Clock Sunday evening to start organising theirs?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: blanketattack on July 21, 2022, 04:50:54 PM

https://twitter.com/Kerry_Official/status/1550089794830712832?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

You mean Kerry, in advance of Sunday have organised their post match function like they've done for their last 30 All-Ireland finals?

I guess Galway are waiting til 6 O'Clock Sunday evening to start organising theirs?

Was it too sensible to call it that instead of a party?

blanketattack

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 21, 2022, 05:14:09 PM

Calling it a 'function' for younger supporters, makes it sound about as exciting as going to a People Before Profit Ard Dheis.
They're trying to sell tickets for fundraising purposes, so are right to advertise it as a party. They don't say anything about a celebration or winning or losing.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: blanketattack on July 21, 2022, 06:14:54 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 21, 2022, 05:14:09 PM

Calling it a 'function' for younger supporters, makes it sound about as exciting as going to a People Before Profit Ard Dheis.
They're trying to sell tickets for fundraising purposes, so are right to advertise it as a party. They don't say anything about a celebration or winning or losing.

If you say so.