Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeeDonns

I think it'll be a success - guaranteed games & minimal impact on your weekends

GaaFanatic123

Some shit wrote on this on as who right and whos wrong, at the end of the day reserve football isn't working at the minute and "big" changes need to be made,end of the day its all a trial to see if there is improvement and if Monday proves its only 1% better then lets go ahead with it, in saying this I believe it doesn't have to be Mondays as why not just put the reserves on at 2 on a Sunday if there's no seniors on anyway but I still wont complain when ever it is! Id imagine most reserve players wudnt mind it being separate from the seniors for sure anyway, how many reserves players enjoy watching the senior management heading in with the senior team at half time of their game and then doing a warm up during the second half of the reserve game, known they aren't even watching how your performing? Even some of the crowd in the stand watch the seniors warm up to get a glimpse of what the senior team might and whos fit etc rather than watching the reserve game! Also decoupling it means the seniors management will actually be able to watch a full reserve game meaning players will give full efforts for a full 60 mins knowing the managements have eyes on them!!

redhandefender

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on January 17, 2020, 08:34:14 AM
Some shit wrote on this on as who right and whos wrong, at the end of the day reserve football isn't working at the minute and "big" changes need to be made,end of the day its all a trial to see if there is improvement and if Monday proves its only 1% better then lets go ahead with it, in saying this I believe it doesn't have to be Mondays as why not just put the reserves on at 2 on a Sunday if there's no seniors on anyway but I still wont complain when ever it is! Id imagine most reserve players wudnt mind it being separate from the seniors for sure anyway, how many reserves players enjoy watching the senior management heading in with the senior team at half time of their game and then doing a warm up during the second half of the reserve game, known they aren't even watching how your performing? Even some of the crowd in the stand watch the seniors warm up to get a glimpse of what the senior team might and whos fit etc rather than watching the reserve game! Also decoupling it means the seniors management will actually be able to watch a full reserve game meaning players will give full efforts for a full 60 mins knowing the managements have eyes on them!!

Good post, spot on

Tyrone95

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on January 17, 2020, 08:34:14 AM

Good theory, however I feel decoupling the reserves from seniors may have a negative impact on certain clubs trying to retain players. Yes, players have a better chance of getting football most weekends/management get to watch reserves etc. But if reserves were to play on a Monday night - this is adding another night in a week for a reserve player to leave the family/come home from uni for a match.. Most clubs in theory would also train on a Tuesday night after a sunday evening game - This may mean segregating a senior and reserve panel on the Tuesday night given them playing a match the night before... Yes its worth a trial but I feel it may cause more trouble than it is worth in the long run. Anyone agree/disagree?

WT4E

A lot of good points in the last couple of posts. I think something has to be tried to sort it out as it can't continue the way it is. Only thing I would say is that it does work in other counties like Down who think Tyrone's method is mad.

Also to add to the early comments - Currently you also have the lad falling between two stools or the opposite - he performs well in the reserve game gets hooked at half time cause the seniors see him as an option off the bench but then sometimes the way the senior game goes he will not be used. So you have a lad itching for football getting 30mins in a B game. On the flip side of that there will be someone who will put in a good shift in a full reserve game and then due to an early injury maybe asked to come on 15 mins into a senior game and end up playing 1.75 games! If the two games where played on separate days this would sort this issue out.

I think play the first few on Saturdays due to light issues - once the longer evenings come in and Uni still on play them on Friday nights - Most senior panels train on a Friday night and tend to do light sessions as they will have a game on Sunday so will not require big numbers for a useful session. And then during summer there should be plenty of evenings for games to be moved around to suit. Games beat training all day long in developing Senior players!

W.A.G. Lover

Quote from: WT4E on January 17, 2020, 10:04:29 AM
A lot of good points in the last couple of posts. I think something has to be tried to sort it out as it can't continue the way it is. Only thing I would say is that it does work in other counties like Down who think Tyrone's method is mad.

Also to add to the early comments - Currently you also have the lad falling between two stools or the opposite - he performs well in the reserve game gets hooked at half time cause the seniors see him as an option off the bench but then sometimes the way the senior game goes he will not be used. So you have a lad itching for football getting 30mins in a B game. On the flip side of that there will be someone who will put in a good shift in a full reserve game and then due to an early injury maybe asked to come on 15 mins into a senior game and end up playing 1.75 games! If the two games where played on separate days this would sort this issue out.

I think play the first few on Saturdays due to light issues - once the longer evenings come in and Uni still on play them on Friday nights - Most senior panels train on a Friday night and tend to do light sessions as they will have a game on Sunday so will not require big numbers for a useful session. And then during summer there should be plenty of evenings for games to be moved around to suit. Games beat training all day long in developing Senior players!

Tuesday - Senior/Reserve training (Pick reserve squad)
Friday - Senior training
Friday/Saturday - Reserve game
Sunday - Senior game.

The standard in Tyrone is train Friday nights owing to college and work commitments. This may provide a problem if reserve games fixed Friday as management resources will be stretched, and senior management will not be able to view reserves playing well. I would guess Saturday is the best option, but it may mean an extra day out for some people.
Either way, it is good to see efforts to make change. It is very apparent the past few years it is not working. To be fair to CCC, their hands are tied by central fixture planners. It is worth a try at least. Plus games are regional so not much traveling is required, and reserves will be playing at a standard to suit themselves and not their seniors.

WeeDonns

The only drawback I see for Reserves is that they'll have to pay in to the Senior game on Sunday  :P

Wee Roddy

Quote from: W.A.G. Lover on January 17, 2020, 10:30:57 AM
Quote from: WT4E on January 17, 2020, 10:04:29 AM

Also to add to the early comments - Currently you also have the lad falling between two stools or the opposite - he performs well in the reserve game gets hooked at half time cause the seniors see him as an option off the bench but then sometimes the way the senior game goes he will not be used. So you have a lad itching for football getting 30mins in a B game. On the flip side of that there will be someone who will put in a good shift in a full reserve game and then due to an early injury maybe asked to come on 15 mins into a senior game and end up playing 1.75 games! If the two games where played on separate days this would sort this i

Tuesday - Senior/Reserve training (Pick reserve squad)
Friday - Senior training
Friday/Saturday - Reserve game
Sunday - Senior game.

The standard in Tyrone is train Friday nights owing to college and work commitments. This may provide a problem if reserve games fixed Friday as management resources will be stretched, and senior management will not be able to view reserves playing well. I would guess Saturday is the best option, but it may mean an extra day out for some people.
Either way, it is good to see efforts to make change. It is very apparent the past few years it is not working. To be fair to CCC, their hands are tied by central fixture planners. It is worth a try at least. Plus games are regional so not much traveling is required, and reserves will be playing at a standard to suit themselves and not their seniors.

Training twice a week is nowhere near enough to be a successful at senior level. I cant believe that people cant see that all the GAA wants is an elitist county system with a Sunday morning soccer pub league club set up. The next step is the county owns the club players and they will only be available for the championship.
The 4 x 12 leagues will work and should have been tried again before now.
The underage proposals will work but the way I see it is that the clubs with the larger numbers will dominate the competitions but i feel that the participations numbers will drop as a result.

Eire90

What is the propose of reserve football anyway is it there for people that cant make the first team a opportunity to play football.

DownFanatic

The Down system for Reserve football works quite well.

There is an All County Premier Reserve League. Something like 16 teams in it. Each team plays each other once. Games are on late on a Saturday afternoon. There is also an All County Premier Reserve Championship for these teams. The stronger clubs' Reserve teams are usually entered into this league and championship.

There are then two divisional Reserve Leagues. East Down and South Down. These are made up of seconds and thirds teams. It is regionalised to cut down on travelling. Games take place at 6pm on Sunday evenings. There is also a Reserve Football Championship for these teams.

trailer

I quit playing when I was 32 - had a young family and was working a lot. Giving up all of your Sunday was tough and we didn't win many games. If there was a mid week game that we were reasonably competitive I'd definitely have stuck at it.

bigtogs

Reserve football not working in some clubs because players dont want to play....new format may make no difference..... If players put everything and anything before football wont matter what night reserve games are played on....

TabClear

Quote from: bigtogs on January 17, 2020, 03:50:19 PM
Reserve football not working in some clubs because players dont want to play....new format may make no difference..... If players put everything and anything before football wont matter what night reserve games are played on....

But the point is that if the new format can attract an additional 3-4 players  per club to play thats a good thing and could be the difference between a club being able to field a reserve team or not. I can see this benefitting two major groups, the older guys who have young families etc who do not want to give up their entire Sunday in the summer and the  casual player who wants to play football but is not good enough to play seniors and wants to have a few beers on a Saturday night. 

Ty4Sam

In my clubs situation the problem was a complete lack of knowing when reserve matches would be played. Think there was a 10 week gap last year for our reserves. You might get seniors to keep training for 10 weeks without a match but no chance with reserves. This system should eradicate this problem and I'd be confident that we will have far bigger numbers at reserve level this year. That alone will be a success

GetOverTheBar

Think my own club played rightly until reserve Championship in July or June maybe, never played after that. Any kind of improvement, is improvement.