All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

Colm O'Neill's sending off in 1990 was more stupid, throwing a thump on Mick Lyons in full view of the ref, but it didn't cost Cork victory that day. Couldn't understand what Vaughan was doing, even if he confronted and squared up to him it wouldn't have been an issue, but he was asking for a red with his reaction. Madness.

Another title Mayo have left behind them, when they should have been 4/5 ahead at HT but only 1 it wasn't a good sign. Had Dublin for the taking but couldn't see them off, in fairness to Dublin whatever about all the many valid issues we'd have with them they do know how to get home in tight games, four finals won by a point now. Some going.

TabClear

Quote from: Owenmoresider on September 18, 2017, 10:14:00 AM
Colm O'Neill's sending off in 1990 was more stupid, throwing a thump on Mick Lyons in full view of the ref, but it didn't cost Cork victory that day. Couldn't understand what Vaughan was doing, even if he confronted and squared up to him it wouldn't have been an issue,but he was asking for a red with his reaction. Madness.

Another title Mayo have left behind them, when they should have been 4/5 ahead at HT but only 1 it wasn't a good sign. Had Dublin for the taking but couldn't see them off, in fairness to Dublin whatever about all the many valid issues we'd have with them they do know how to get home in tight games, four finals won by a point now. Some going.

Exactly, he gave the ref the opportunity to get off the hook. Christ, I know that its drilled into players from U12 level, "if they get a man sent off, dont give the ref a chance to even it up" I know Vaughan didnt necessarily know that Small would get a 2nd yellow but I would be surprised as most players keep tabs on who in the opposition is on a yellow.

It must be so frustrating from a Mayo perspective as to what might have been, even if Vaughan had been ten yards further away etc.

That Dublin team is incredible, they can blow teams away but when its put up to them they can grind out the results. Fair play

WT4E

Dublin the best team.

Ref I feel slightly favoured the dubs on some calls

Rock v COC battle of the free takers was won by Rock

Dubs possiby the greatest team ever but you couldn't like them if you tried - Jim Gavin smugness personified - sitting on his seat the whole game and Stephen 'so dull' cluxton could put you to sleep. They should of had jack mccaffrey interviewed seems lie hes a bit of craic!  ;D

bogieman

Quote from: Syferus on September 17, 2017, 06:39:00 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on September 17, 2017, 06:37:29 PM
Thanks. That's a bad rule though. Rewards the foul.

It's a rule that's used just fine in nearly every other field sport.

Foul Subsequent to Advantage Award
A - If, during the advantage period, another foul is committed against the team which received the original advantage, then a
free kick/puck will be awarded for the "second" foul if it is considered more advantageous than the original.
B - If, during the advantage period, a foul is committed by a player of the team which was originally fouled then the advantage
is cancelled and a free kick/puck awarded for the "second" foul.

But the best team on the day won, they scored the most points regardless of the many decisions made during the match, by all on the pitch.

This is not Irish dancing. -RH

JoG2

Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 17, 2017, 09:09:20 PM
Just home. Words can't begin to describe the disappointment I feel....not for myself or the the supporters but for that bunch of players. The temptation for some will be to start singling out individuals for blame for isolated incidents. I think that would be unfair. If we were to look at the commentary and forecasting over the past few months this Mayo team had no chance. Yet again they had this great (and I mean that sincerely) Dublin team on the ropes. Top marks to all, including management, for a great season. The inability to finish scoring opportunities is all that stood between the teams. We need to hold what we have and blood some new players over the FBD and League. If management remain on (and I see no reason why they wouldn't) they need to rest some experienced players, cut those from the panel that they obviously have no faith in and bring in a half dozen or more big athletic footballers. Don't write our obituary yet.

Mayo are far from finished. Was an absolute honour to have been at that game yesterday, a serious battle between 2 great teams. The speed and intensity was breathtaking . Some serious performances from both sides. McCarthy was a giant for the Dubs, he's had an incredible year. There's a good few wee things that just didn't go Mayo's way and yet there was still only the bare minimum between the teams. The 2 O'Shea's were excellent in the middle, Moran as usual this year was excellent. McLoughlin buzzing around and linking so much of the good play. Keegan, Boyle and Barrett in defence, christ you didn't even know if Kilkenny was on the field, and then Keegan pops up with the goal.
Met so many great Mayo folk yesterday, and this is another hammer blow for them and the team, but they will definitely be back next year. You can be so proud of those warriors yesterday.

J70

Marvelous game after what's been a poor championship with too many drubbings. Was honestly sickened and even a little bitter when Dublin were left standing when the music stopped, but that gave away quickly to admiration for their ability to keep their heads and grind it out, yet again, when Mayo, the only ones who can, put them to the pin of their collar. It's just this Mayo team's misfortune to always have someone a tiny mite better, even as they themselves have improved year on year. Unfortunately, the Dubs only look like they're going to get better next year again and Mayo will have to console themselves with being the second best team of the 2010s and possibly, as has been suggested, the best team to not win an All Ireland.

From the Bunker

Quote from: JoG2 on September 18, 2017, 10:57:12 AM
Just home. Words can't begin to describe the disappointment I feel....not for myself or the the supporters but for that bunch of players. The temptation for some will be to start singling out individuals for blame for isolated incidents. I think that would be unfair. If we were to look at the commentary and forecasting over the past few months this Mayo team had no chance. Yet again they had this great (and I mean that sincerely) Dublin team on the ropes. Top marks to all, including management, for a great season. The inability to finish scoring opportunities is all that stood between the teams. We need to hold what we have and blood some new players over the FBD and League. If management remain on (and I see no reason why they wouldn't) they need to rest some experienced players, cut those from the panel that they obviously have no faith in and bring in a half dozen or more big athletic footballers. Don't write our obituary yet.

Mayo are far from finished. Was an absolute honour to have been at that game yesterday, a serious battle between 2 great teams. The speed and intensity was breathtaking . Some serious performances from both sides. McCarthy was a giant for the Dubs, he's had an incredible year. There's a good few wee things that just didn't go Mayo's way and yet there was still only the bare minimum between the teams. The 2 O'Shea's were excellent in the middle, Moran as usual this year was excellent. McLoughlin buzzing around and linking so much of the good play. Keegan, Boyle and Barrett in defence, christ you didn't even know if Kilkenny was on the field, and then Keegan pops up with the goal.
Met so many great Mayo folk yesterday, and this is another hammer blow for them and the team, but they will definitely be back next year. You can be so proud of those warriors yesterday.

Yes they are! No one can come back for the what will be an 8th year of this group together (getting to finals and semi-finals). There's only a trickle of new blood and the baggage is just to much at this stage.

Dublin is a MONSTER. Mayo bursting a gut yesterday hides how far they are ahead!

There is no All Ireland in this Mayo team simply because there is nobody remotely near Dublin on or off the pitch!

Esmarelda

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 18, 2017, 11:03:43 AM

Yes they are! No one can come back for the what will be an 8th year of this group together (getting to finals and semi-finals). There's only a trickle of new blood and the baggage is just to much at this stage.

Dublin is a MONSTER. Mayo bursting a gut yesterday hides how far they are ahead!

There is no All Ireland in this Mayo team simply because there is nobody remotely near Dublin on or off the pitch!
;D ;D ;D
You're on form this morning.

JoG2

can you get much closer than a draw or 1 point games? They'll be glad you're no-where near the setup. 

From the Bunker

Quote from: JoG2 on September 18, 2017, 11:11:52 AM

can you get much closer than a draw or 1 point games? They'll be glad you're no-where near the setup.

Mayo have not beaten Dublin in League or Championship since 2012!

Tony

Serious respect to Mayo yesterday. As a Laois man, I would have loved to have seen them winning as the effort they've put in and amount of times they keep coming back deserves a day of glory. It'll take something special for a team to rival Dublin over the next 5 years, but Mayo showed that with hard work, some good talent and a good gameplan, Dublin are beatable. Gotta hand it to Dublin though, fantastic team and great ambassadors for the GAA. They have set the new standard.

TabClear

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 18, 2017, 11:23:35 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on September 18, 2017, 11:11:52 AM

Mayo have not beaten Dublin in League or Championship since 2012!

Very few teams have.....

Tubberman

I am sick and Jim Gavin is a miserable p***k.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Denn Forever

Didn't see the Sunday Game last night or half time analysis, but did anyone explain why the free was given at the end of the first half when the two Dublin players collided and were knocked down?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Tony on September 18, 2017, 11:24:33 AM
Serious respect to Mayo yesterday. As a Laois man, I would have loved to have seen them winning as the effort they've put in and amount of times they keep coming back deserves a day of glory. It will take something special for a team to rival Dublin over the next 5 years, Mayo showed that with hard work, some good talent and a good gameplan, Dublin are beatable. Gotta hand it to Dublin though, fantastic team and great ambassadors for the GAA. They have set the new standard.

If Kerry can't make something of their four-in-row minors in the next few years it will be a terrible waste of talent.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8