All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

One sure way for Mayo to win would be if one of the key Dubs was sent off about 10 minutes into the second half.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

People getting a bit over excited about Dublin. Fair enough if they continue to dominate over a couple of decades, but it's early days yet in the bigger picture. Over here Kingussie smashed everyone else in shinty for a long time, two waves of talent and an era which pretty much lasted 20 years, but it came to an end and other teams bounced back. We'll see where the Dubs are in the next 10 years or so.

Looking forward to the game on Sunday. Dublin are a great team and I certainly wouldn't begrudge them another title. I don't think though that they are quite as invincible as some suggest. Mayo obviously got very close last year and will hope that the experience will stand to them, as well as the form they have built up on this run. Should be strong mentally after coming over so many bumps on the road. I wonder too are the Dubs getting too much smoke blown up their backside in terms of the semi. They were very good, but Tyrone were garbage. Even accounting for the failure of the system, Tyrone were feeble. I wouldn't be reading too much into the winning margin that day and I would be astonished if Mayo were as passive on Sunday.

All the best to all supporters of both sides, hopefully a great weekend ahead. And I hope Mayo come out with Sam at the end of it.

Hound

Quote from: PW Nally on September 15, 2017, 12:38:42 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 14, 2017, 02:58:41 PM
Quote from: PW Nally on September 14, 2017, 02:21:27 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 14, 2017, 08:48:12 AM
Ignoring the people who get paid for physio and other stuff around the senior team (no different than Mayo, Kerry, etc), none of the Dublin players would have received coaching from paid coaches. It would all have been parents over underage club teams and mostly volunteer past players on Dublin development squads.

Geography and population, where we have big numbers and all live within a reasonably close area are the genuine advantages we have (as well as being the best run county board in the country). Our club game at senior level is better than most too. The work that goes in by players at the 16 top senior clubs is unreal, all training 3 /4 times a week, a generation of fitness fanatics with builds that Olympic swimmers would be proud of.

But it'll be 15 v 15 on Sunday (or 21 v 21 by the end), we can't play any more than anyone else, and it'll be a combination of the most talented and hardest working that prevails, and there's never been much between these two teams. And whichever team prevails, the begrudgers can go feck themselves.
So no county board part financed GDOs at Cuala etc have been involved in coaching likes of Con O'Callaghan?
100% correct. No GDO would have taken any underage hurling or football team Con was on at Cuala or in his school. It was always 2/3 parents. When Con was aged between 4 and 7, the GDO would have taken PE at school instead of the teacher for one class every two weeks or so to teach basic skills. These would be more focused at those lacking in skills rather than the likes of Con.
GDOs don't take teams but coach the coaches and take a few sessions implementing best practise and so on, they therefore have a big impact on all club players. Pointless paying out so much on them otherwise.

Just pointing out the inaccurate point that is highlighted above. 50 odd GDOs employed by Dublin county board not having any effect on players coming through would be ~€800,000/ annum poorly spent.
Some people seem to think that Dublin hire a myriad of Donie Buckleys and Mickey Hartes to train our elite players!

They're a bit like teachers. Some are really good, some really put heart and soul into improving the club they are in, and at the other end of the specturm you have the lazy fecks who do as little as possible and make an art of standing around looking busy. What they absolutely do is spread the word and increase the numbers going to GAA versus other sports. What they don't do is take the best players and make them better.

Do other counties not have "coach the coach" type sessions? Ridiculous if that's the case, and not Dublin's fault.

Hound

Quote from: Zulu on September 15, 2017, 01:01:39 PM
On the actual game which should be epic, I think Mayo have a great chance. You can't drop off the Dubs and expect to win but Mayo will engage all over the pitch and not give the Dubs the time to use their undoubted skills. I think Mayo will need a goal or two but Dublin will be reintroduced to championship football this Sunday and that might be too much for some.
The other thing that marks Mayo apart is that even if Dublin did go 5 or 6 points ahead, Mayo wouldnt blink. They'd keep going in confidence there'll be a momentum swing the other way at some stage shortly.

I'm always praising Mayo. Didn't doubt for a second they'd make the final last year after the Galway defeat. A bit more doubt this year through their run, but as I said before the semi I'd have preferred Kerry in the final as I think Mayo just match up really well against us.

I think we'll win, but I don't say it with any confidence. It is interesting that so many pundits (this year more than others I think) believe it's Mayo's time. I won't look forward to the celebrations if that comes true!

PW Nally

Quote from: Hound on September 15, 2017, 01:13:47 PM
Ignoring the people who get paid for physio and other stuff around the senior team (no different than Mayo, Kerry, etc), none of the Dublin players would have received coaching from paid coaches. It would all have been parents over underage club teams and mostly volunteer past players on Dublin development squads.

Geography and population, where we have big numbers and all live within a reasonably close area are the genuine advantages we have (as well as being the best run county board in the country). Our club game at senior level is better than most too. The work that goes in by players at the 16 top senior clubs is unreal, all training 3 /4 times a week, a generation of fitness fanatics with builds that Olympic swimmers would be proud of.

But it'll be 15 v 15 on Sunday (or 21 v 21 by the end), we can't play any more than anyone else, and it'll be a combination of the most talented and hardest working that prevails, and there's never been much between these two teams. And whichever team prevails, the begrudgers can go feck themselves.
So no county board part financed GDOs at Cuala etc have been involved in coaching likes of Con O'Callaghan?
100% correct. No GDO would have taken any underage hurling or football team Con was on at Cuala or in his school. It was always 2/3 parents. When Con was aged between 4 and 7, the GDO would have taken PE at school instead of the teacher for one class every two weeks or so to teach basic skills. These would be more focused at those lacking in skills rather than the likes of Con.
GDOs don't take teams but coach the coaches and take a few sessions implementing best practise and so on, they therefore have a big impact on all club players. Pointless paying out so much on them otherwise.

Just pointing out the inaccurate point that is highlighted above. 50 odd GDOs employed by Dublin county board not having any effect on players coming through would be ~€800,000/ annum poorly spent.
Some people seem to think that Dublin hire a myriad of Donie Buckleys and Mickey Hartes to train our elite players!

They're a bit like teachers. Some are really good, some really put heart and soul into improving the club they are in, and at the other end of the specturm you have the lazy fecks who do as little as possible and make an art of standing around looking busy. What they absolutely do is spread the word and increase the numbers going to GAA versus other sports. What they don't do is take the best players and make them better.

Do other counties not have "coach the coach" type sessions? Ridiculous if that's the case, and not Dublin's fault.
Fair dues to Dublin county board for financing so many GDOs and having their house in order. Financing full time employees to spread the games and improve coaching clearly raises level of club teams and individual players. This greatly increases the chances of county teams having better players. It's not the mammy and daddy coached teams of my youth that's for sure.

Hound

Quote from: PW Nally on September 15, 2017, 01:30:44 PM

Fair dues to Dublin county board for financing so many GDOs and having their house in order. Financing full time employees to spread the games and improve coaching clearly raises level of club teams and individual players. This greatly increases the chances of county teams having better players. It's not the mammy and daddy coached teams of my youth that's for sure.
Well you should visit a Dublin club, and you'll be pleasanty surprised that it is actually the mammys and daddys doing all the work. The real problem is so many of those mammys and daddys are not Dubs but their sons and daughters are.

PW Nally

Quote from: Hound on September 15, 2017, 01:37:52 PM
Quote from: PW Nally on September 15, 2017, 01:30:44 PM

Well you should visit a Dublin club, and you'll be pleasanty surprised that it is actually the mammys and daddys doing all the work. The real problem is so many of those mammys and daddys are not Dubs but their sons and daughters are.
Unfortunately I know only too well ;).

GDO powered mammy and daddy central.

fearsiuil

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 14, 2017, 09:05:20 PM
I've two tickets for Whollys thing in the Academy tomorrow evening if anyone wants them? Starts at 6.30
Tickes still available?

Declan

Best of luck to everyone lucky enough to get a ticket for Sunday. Hoping for the Dubs to prevail for a famous three-in-a row

tiempo

http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2017/09/14/news/derry-legend-mckeever-slams-capitalist-gaa-over-all-ireland-ticket-allocations-1135967/

There has been growing controversy over a fundraising breakfast organised by Dublin county board at which businesses paying €2,500 are given the guaranteed option of buying a pack of 10 tickets for Sunday's final.

Something very shady going on here if true.

Syferus

Quote from: tiempo on September 15, 2017, 04:27:10 PM
http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2017/09/14/news/derry-legend-mckeever-slams-capitalist-gaa-over-all-ireland-ticket-allocations-1135967/

There has been growing controversy over a fundraising breakfast organised by Dublin county board at which businesses paying €2,500 are given the guaranteed option of buying a pack of 10 tickets for Sunday's final.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=27376.msg1732910#msg1732910

'If true'..

sid waddell

Quote from: tiempo on September 15, 2017, 04:27:10 PM

Somebody should fire off a tweet to "Mossy" Quinn over this.

"Mossy" takes himself very seriously.

He could be the new Pat Hickey.

Captain Scarlet

In terms of the game i was listening to the GAA hour the other day and they reckon Mayo could spring a few more surpises in terms of Lee Keegan at centre forward or a few other big switches. That woukld tie up the sweeper and then in turn O´Shea in at FF with proper support.
Also, and this is a fair point, O´Callaghan and Scully have never been in a real battle. They are class but coming up against the likes of Higgins or Boyle is something totally new.
And in terms of the bench if Gavin needs to bring in subs earlier than planned, these guys have only come on at the tail end of cake walks. I know their ability and mental fortitude can´t be questioned but their match sharpness might not be up to speed.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: fearsiuil on September 15, 2017, 03:37:56 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 14, 2017, 09:05:20 PM
I've two tickets for Whollys thing in the Academy tomorrow evening if anyone wants them? Starts at 6.30
Tickes still available?

Only seeing this now. PW Nally PM'd me at 2.37 so I'll give him first dibs but if he doesn't send me his email in the next half an hour they are yours if that suits. PM me ur email anyway so I can have them ready to go

Edit: Sorry Fearsiuil, PW just got back to me there, tickets gone
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me