Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

lfdown2

All the strachan backers have been very quiet this last few days, I'm not going to go on another rant as iv made my feelings clear, very disappointing and while obviously needing to get the 9 points I don't see rangers getting any less...hope I'm wrong good to have brown back for tonight and should hopefully make a difference!

saffron sam2

Looking like a draw then GDA.

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 12, 2009, 11:57:22 AM
Celtic v Dundee United 
Venue: Celtic Park Date: Tuesday 12 May Kick-off: 1945 BST.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Celtic midfielder Scott Brown is likely to return against Dundee United after serving his two-match suspension.

Captain Stephen McManus is sidelined with a knee injury, so Glenn Loovens will partner Gary Caldwell in central defence for Gordon Strachan's side.

United striker Francisco Sandaza is in line for a return after recovering from a hamstring injury.

David Goodwillie will keep his place in the absence of Warren Feeney. On-loan Celtic defender Paul Caddis misses out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Celtic manager Gordon Strachan: "We must try to score goals against Dundee United. I can throw all sorts of stats at you, but the fact is you must score goals to win games of football.

"We need to beat United. If we handle the pressure in the same way as we handled it on Saturday - in terms of commitment, playing, drive and pride - then I haven't got a problem.

"It's then all down to scoring goals. If they do the same things as they did on Saturday then I can't ask for any more from my players."

Dundee United manager Craig Levein: "I have to assume the worst and believe that Hearts will win up at Aberdeen so that means we need to get something to ensure we're in a position to overtake them at the weekend.

"It's a tall order but I honestly believe that over the last five or six games we're playing as well as anyone.

"We did well on our last trip to Parkhead and I see no reason why we can't go one better this time."

Celtic (from): Boruc, Hinkel, Loovens, Caldwell, O'Dea, Brown, Naylor, Nakamura, Hartley, Crosas, Maloney, McGeady, Vennegoor of Hesselink, Samaras, McDonald, Mark Brown, Misun, Flood, Robson.

Dundee United(from): Zaluska, Dillon, Grainger, Dixon, Dods, Wilkie, Kenneth, Kovacevic, D Robertson, S Robertson, Gomis, Buaben, Swanson, Shala, Sandaza, Goodwillie, Conway, McGovern.

This season: Dundee United 2-2 Celtic, Celtic 2-2 Dundee United, Dundee United 1-1 Celtic.

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

T Fearon

Funny, I didn't notice Mc Geady doing very much when he came on last Saturday, bar working himself into a great position then failing to even hit the target. The truth is that Strachan's critics use any excuse to have a go, and while admittedly he might have been a little bit more forthcoming about the reasons behind his team selections  after the game(and who knows what is happening behind the scenes, that he might judge to be in the interest of the team not to be made public), at the end of the day he is the manager and has the right to pick whatever team he chooses, and he will point to the three in a row titles he has won, which could still become four in a row.

Frustrating as it is to see the Huns in the driving seat, the league is still far from over, remember what happened at Motherwell in the last three minutes back in 2005? I certainly wouldn't fancy having to go to Tannadice in the last game needing all three points

lfdown2

Quote from: T Fearon on May 12, 2009, 12:20:14 PM
Funny, I didn't notice Mc Geady doing very much when he came on last Saturday, bar working himself into a great position then failing to even hit the target. The truth is that Strachan's critics use any excuse to have a go, and while admittedly he might have been a little bit more forthcoming about the reasons behind his team selections  after the game(and who knows what is happening behind the scenes, that he might judge to be in the interest of the team not to be made public), at the end of the day he is the manager and has the right to pick whatever team he chooses, and he will point to the three in a row titles he has won, which could still become four in a row.

Frustrating as it is to see the Huns in the driving seat, the league is still far from over, remember what happened at Motherwell in the last three minutes back in 2005? I certainly wouldn't fancy having to go to Tannadice in the last game needing all three points

You're right was suprised when mcgeady and... Naylor  ??? ???  came on Celtic didn't win the game

T Fearon

Manager makes the decisions and we do not know what is going on behind the scenes.

If Strachan leaves he will be replaced by someone like Mark Mc Ghee/John Collins and this will be disastrous. Also when the likes of Brown and Caldwell are full of praise for Strachan I fear that his departure will lead to theirs as well.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on May 12, 2009, 12:33:46 PM
Manager makes the decisions and we do not know what is going on behind the scenes.

If Strachan leaves he will be replaced by someone like Mark Mc Ghee/John Collins and this will be disastrous. Also when the likes of Brown and Caldwell are full of praise for Strachan I fear that his departure will lead to theirs as well.
moyes
mcghee
willie mcstay would be obv candidates

Celtic played woefully v dundee utd this season and without willo flood, dundee utd are not as good as they were.
I expect a win, esp if brown is restored to the starting line up instead of hartley
McGeady must start

strachan is the boss and he picks the team irrespective of what people think, but to drop a decent mcgeady to be replaced by a lad who has not played first team since christmas is a joke. Its too much fantasy and hope from strachan and too little reality/practicality.
he still has not learned in his few years at Celtic park as boss.
I can see the orcs dropping points, Celtic need ot be able to win all their games to capitalise though. Tonight is a big test that they should come through.

Rav67

I'm confident the orcs wont win their last three games, they're bound to drop points in those fixtures judging by previous results this season.  The things is I can;t see us picking up 9 points either despite a slightly easier last 3 games. 

T Fearon

The hardest game for Celtic will be away to Hibs, the in form team. They will be especially difficult to beat if they manage to take something from the Huns tomorrow night. In Bookies at lunchtime they have SPL Winnings odds as follows. 8/15 Huns 11/8 Celtic. Prior to Saturday last it was the other way round at exactly the same odds.

Would love the  scenario of Celtic and The Huns each going into the last game level on points and goal difference, the anti football approach of Walter would have to be discarded, and it would make for a helluva last game at Celtic Park.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

See Gary Caldwell got the SPL player of the year award as well!!
Tbc....

T Fearon

We have the Manager of the Year and Players of the Year from writers and fellow pros. Even if the Huns do win the league it will be a very hollow victory indeed.

By the way who would you all have as Strachan's replacement (I can't see him staying certainly if Celtic don't win the league)? Moyes says he has years left in the Premiership, so we're looking at someone like John Collins, Mark Mc Ghee, Tony Mowbray, none of which impresses me really.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on May 12, 2009, 05:14:06 PM
We have the Manager of the Year and Players of the Year from writers and fellow pros. Even if the Huns do win the league it will be a very hollow victory indeed.

By the way who would you all have as Strachan's replacement (I can't see him staying certainly if Celtic don't win the league)? Moyes says he has years left in the Premiership, so we're looking at someone like John Collins, Mark Mc Ghee, Tony Mowbray, none of which impresses me really.
manager of the years and player of the year are feck all if the league isnt won

strachan impresses me less than all those you have mentioned !
only collins would be as bad imo !

Main Street

I actually thought Caldwell played well on Saturday, compared to O'Dea who was lumping it every time.

Despair dilemma is, losing the title and Strachan stays on,
or winning the title and Strachan stays on.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ExiledGael

Not many leaders out there. Dundee having all the real play now.