Buying a house

Started by Boolerhead Mel, January 06, 2009, 03:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: Rois on June 11, 2020, 05:40:11 PM
Quote from: illdecide on June 11, 2020, 02:18:12 PM

Rois...i thought you'd bought a house in Lurgan last year? Did that fall thru?

Er...yeah - fell through when the developer demanded an extra £30k from us the week we were due to move.
Never fear, attempt number 3 at buying in Lurgan is still under way...I'll be in that ice cream place before the summer's out!

Interestingly though, we were looking at a Belfast new build in January, and it came down to two of us who had no chain and looked to be good bets.  The agent tried to get us into a bidding war (on a new build!) or a contract race.  The other bidder threw a few exta £ks on, and we didn't bother matching it, so lost it. 
Just this afternoon, the agent contacted me and asked if we were still interested, as the other person hadn't been able to progress the mortgage.  I feel a genuine delight in telling the agent to f**k off.

Delighted for him, they're generally a useless bunch of pr*cks no more than recruitment agents

Milltown Row2

Hate them also, always pushing their price up to screw a few more quid off you.

When I moved years ago sale agreed on both sides, then the person buying ours wanted to take a grand off it on the last day, I said fine, when leaving I took everything out of the garden, shed, plants.

Took all the blinds that I was going to leave as they wouldn't have fitted my new house, felt like pulling up the carpets!

Would love to buy a house to rent! Might look into next year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mikhail Prokhorov

only buy a house if you can genuinely afford it, and get as little mortgage as possible (50% is ideal), don't be a slave to your desk and the bank

if the interest rates rocket to 5, 7 or even 10  ???  (unlikely but not impossible, the last few months show anything can happen)

a lot of people will be in serious trouble if they over leverage themselves

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on June 11, 2020, 09:26:00 PM
only buy a house if you can genuinely afford it, and get as little mortgage as possible (50% is ideal), don't be a slave to your desk and the bank

if the interest rates rocket to 5, 7 or even 10  ???  (unlikely but not impossible, the last few months show anything can happen)

a lot of people will be in serious trouble if they over leverage themselves

Affording it is not the problem, I'm looking at it as my nest egg!

Anyone any experience in buying and doing up houses and selling them on?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

Dion Dublin.
Not sure if hes on here though

Milltown Row2

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on June 14, 2020, 10:43:44 AM
Dion Dublin.
Not sure if hes on here though

His football punditry is enough for me

illdecide

Er...yeah - fell through when the developer demanded an extra £30k from us the week we were due to move.
Never fear, attempt number 3 at buying in Lurgan is still under way...I'll be in that ice cream place before the summer's out!

Interestingly though, we were looking at a Belfast new build in January, and it came down to two of us who had no chain and looked to be good bets.  The agent tried to get us into a bidding war (on a new build!) or a contract race.  The other bidder threw a few exta £ks on, and we didn't bother matching it, so lost it. 
Just this afternoon, the agent contacted me and asked if we were still interested, as the other person hadn't been able to progress the mortgage.  I feel a genuine delight in telling the agent to f**k off.

You should Rois...their hooks the lot of them and all they care about it is screwing you for every last pound they can get out of you.

I've had a few run-ins with them like two years ago i asked one to my house to value my house (straight forward enough task), when she arrived i then asked her to value my house from a detached 4 bed to a 6 bedroom house as when my house was being built i paid an extra £2k for attic conversion trusses and also an extra £500 for the T&G flooring and floored my whole roof space out so it's only a matter of putting the stairs up to the 3rd floor and fit it out. My question to her was if i spend £10k on doing all this works and adding an extra 2 bedrooms to my house what will it add to my house as if it was only going to add £10k-£15k then it might not be worth all the hassle of the works...She basically said "I don't know"...It's your job to know, sweet Jasus.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

The Subbie

One of the most delicious f**k offs you can ever issue is a f**k off to an estate agent
Well done Rois !

Maroon Manc

Hard not too see prices been affected, most lenders have removed their 85% & 90% LTV products which will huge affects on the first time buyer market.

Rois

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 16, 2020, 10:49:44 AM
Hard not too see prices been affected, most lenders have removed their 85% & 90% LTV products which will huge affects on the first time buyer market.
Danske in the north trying to get their 90% back for some cases apparently. 

I'm waiting on a bank valuation at the minute - that's where our fear is, that a blanket % reduction will be applied to valuations.  I'll update the outcome here.   

general

Just seen a house beside me go up for sale. 125k turn key 5 years ago.

On sale yesterday for 167k 😂😂

I'd near ring the agent myself 🤣 madness

93-DY-SAM

Anyone know what is happening with valuations at the min? Been waiting for weeks and been told my the mortgage advisor to expect a call any day - that was two weeks ago.

quit yo jibbajabba

Back in action to a large extent Sam i think, they are prob just working their way through the backlog

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on June 16, 2020, 03:36:29 PM
Back in action to a large extent Sam i think, they are prob just working their way through the backlog

Yeah can appreciate there is a massive backlog. Wonder is this just since Monday they are back in action or has it been for a few weeks now?

quit yo jibbajabba

Depends on lender/valuer but id say majority are just back in action this week chap...