The Whiskey Thread

Started by gallsman, December 08, 2014, 03:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: weareros on December 12, 2014, 01:22:05 AM
Got a bottle of Laphroaig the other night on the advice of an expert Scotch drinker. Jaysus awful stuff. I had to ask myself how on earth do people pay a premium for this. I looked it up on the internet and even the distillery itself was proudly proclaiming that it tasted like a burning hospital. Actually if you took all the balls of cotton from your mouth after the dentist pulled half your teeth out and distilled it with poison tap water from Roscommon, that's what Laphroaig tastes like. Nearly put me off the drink for life. I don't care what anyone says but Irish whiskey is the nicest in the world. It's only flaw is that it's too nice.

Islay whisky is a man's drink. Irish whiskey is for the manbagging metros.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

gallsman

Quote from: ONeill on December 12, 2014, 11:18:19 PM
Got a bottle of Laphroaig the other night on the advice of an expert Scotch drinker. Jaysus awful stuff. I had to ask myself how on earth do people pay a premium for this. I looked it up on the internet and even the distillery itself was proudly proclaiming that it tasted like a burning hospital. Actually if you took all the balls of cotton from your mouth after the dentist pulled half your teeth out and distilled it with poison tap water from Roscommon, that's what Laphroaig tastes like. Nearly put me off the drink for life. I don't care what anyone says but Irish whiskey is the nicest in the world. It's only flaw is that it's too nice.

Islay whisky is a man's drink. Irish whiskey is for the manbagging metros.

I think the word you're looking for is refined.

aontroim abu

Quote from: aontroim abu on December 10, 2014, 11:19:14 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 09, 2014, 03:51:49 PM
Quote from: aontroim abu on December 09, 2014, 03:28:49 PM
was thinking of getting her dad a bottle for Christmas - best place in Belfast anyone??
The vineyard on the ormeau road has a decent selection

thanks, i'll give there a lash

Tried the vineyard, apart from the traffic to get there it was well worth the trip. The guy who owns it practically knew the names of the guys in the distillery he knew that much about the drinks he was selling, brilliant. Got a bottle of Teeling single grain and a bottle of Midleton very rare. Hope they're worth the price

gallsman

Quote from: aontroim abu on December 23, 2014, 01:56:44 PM
Quote from: aontroim abu on December 10, 2014, 11:19:14 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 09, 2014, 03:51:49 PM
Quote from: aontroim abu on December 09, 2014, 03:28:49 PM
was thinking of getting her dad a bottle for Christmas - best place in Belfast anyone??
The vineyard on the ormeau road has a decent selection

thanks, i'll give there a lash

Tried the vineyard, apart from the traffic to get there it was well worth the trip. The guy who owns it practically knew the names of the guys in the distillery he knew that much about the drinks he was selling, brilliant. Got a bottle of Teeling single grain and a bottle of Midleton very rare. Hope they're worth the price

Yeah it's great. Bought a bottle of one of the Japanese ones in there last week as a present and staff were very knowledgeable.

The Teeling sounds good. They won a rake of Irish awards recently. Polished off most of a bottle of The Irishman the other night with the father. Brilliant stuff for the price of it.

omaghjoe

Laphroaig is generally regarded as a harsh whiskey but the peatiest around, so its got a reputation as being for being an extreme whiskey strong taste and smell but quite harsh, although I never found it overly harsh myself.
Its not a great intro to Scotch to be fair,  Like Galls man I would recommend Highland Park 12 as a good intro, great aroma.

In any case if your aim in whiskey is to get something smooth your probably best saving your money and goin for Jameson. I cant stand the stuff TBH smells like petrol or something.Or better still avoiding whiskey altogether and going for a good tequila plus no hangover.
The best Irish whiskey IMO is Black Bush. Scotch single malts overall are much superior whiskey but u gotta take your time! Your aim should not be to get tipsy but to enjoy the whiskey, getting tipsy is a mere side benefit!

screenexile

Had to buy Midleton Very Rare Whiskey for a Supplier yesterday... £120!!! f**k it must be some stuff! I'm a big Jameson fan so I imagine the Midleton would be great. Has anyone tried it??

Puckoon

I had a bottle that I opened for my daughters christening. Granted that was 7 years ago and I wasn't as big a fan, but it didn't blow me away. Might have to try it again.

el_cuervo_fc

A client handed me a bottle of canadian club classic today. Anyone ever try it?

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on December 23, 2014, 10:31:31 PM
A client handed me a bottle of canadian club classic today. Anyone ever try it?

If it's anything like the ordinary Canadian Club, I wouldn't be a fan.  Way too sweet.

screenexile

CC and ginger ale is a nice drink. I wouldn't drink it with water though!!

Puckoon

Just received a nice bottle of RedBreast 15 from a client. Merry Christmas one and all!!

trileacman

What's the views on Green Spot?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

gallsman

Quote from: trileacman on December 25, 2014, 02:35:16 AM
What's the views on Green Spot?

Universally acclaimed by all who've had it on this thread. It is marvellous.

tyroneman

Tried Green Spot.....great stuff. Getting hold of it seems difficult though (Amazon could be the answer)

Had a Glenrothes select last night. Very nice. Smooth going down but harsher taste if that makes any sense.

Next bottle will be green spot or monkey shoulder though

gallsman

On the menu today were:

Hakushu 12 - absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait to try some of the other Japanese ones.

Redbreast 12 - delicious as always

Redbreast 15 - meh, don't think it justifies price difference over the 12

Powers John's Lane - nice but simply prefer green spot

High West - not a big bourbon drinker and this was alright. Nothing special.