The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insane Bolt

I told my good friend in January that you should have signed Peter Crouch.....you would be back in the big time now 😎

Ambrose

Leeds United are in talks with a billionaire Sheikh from the Middle East. They are discussing a multi million pound takeover deal to get the club back to the premier league.

Sheikh Anvack has promised to put the freshness back!!
You can't live off history and tradition forever

lurganblue

Kalvin Phillips lads, how would you rate him? Not that I buy into most transfer rumours but this one just doesn't seem to be going away.

Billys Boots

Quote from: lurganblue on July 01, 2019, 10:29:24 PM
Kalvin Phillips lads, how would you rate him? Not that I buy into most transfer rumours but this one just doesn't seem to be going away.

I like him - good passing range, technically adept, good attitude, did well as the link man in the 4-1-4-1 Bielsa format which looked to suit him better than the 4-2-3-1s he would have played in before. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Rufus T Firefly

Agree with Billy - very important player and not one we would like to let go. The money received (heard £14 million mentioned) would not likely be enough to find a replacement of his calibre.

lurganblue

The fee seems to be closer to 22m now plus add-ons. When i first heard this rumour I didnt think much of it. It is certainly an area that villa will be looking to strengthen and he does appear to fit the Dean Smith mould (young, energetic, comfortable on the ball). As i say i dont know much about the lad at all.  The 22-25m does draw attention though.

Clarke loaned back i see. That was nice of Spurs.

Billys Boots

If Leeds sell him, then they can forget about promotion.   ::)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

lurganblue

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: lurganblue on July 08, 2019, 10:14:12 PM
Shocked by the Jansson sale.

There's been a lot of talk about him being a disruptive influence in the Club and it seems Bielsa wanted rid. In such circumstances, there is only one winner.

Brentford have got themselves a bargain (£5.5 million). He is by far the most dependable of the three centre backs at the Club. With Halme also getting sold, the hope would be that we'll be in the market for a new centre half. Adequately replacing Jansson will be a challenge though, given the current financial constraints.

Mourne Rover

Jannson is probably the best centre half in the championship but he has always been headstrong and the signs were bad when he disobeyed clear instructions from Bielsa to allow Villa an unchallenged equaliser. When he sat on the pitch and ignored his teammates after he was an unused sub in the Derby disaster, in retrospect it looked like the last straw. Leeds could really do with bringing in another centre back and striker swiftly,  but Bielsa inevitably does things his own way.

SLIGONIAN

I don't know lads, I am starting to doubt Bielsa and the club owners not that I ever had much trust, selling Jansson is a disgrace, I know he is headstrong but hes put his body on the line for us, and was mentally strong and made our defensive look better than it actually is, 5.5m is terrible business. Cooper crumbles under pressure and will again when the going gets tough. I don't really know Ben White from Brighton. Have to buy another CB.

Selling Kalvin Phillips will cause a major reaction from the fanbase. I rate him very highly, hes a great reader of where the danger is and more often than not snuffs it out.

There is rumours around Roofe aswell. I dont rate Bamford at all, dives too easy, doesnt hold the ball up at all, misses alot of chances, we had to create 12 chances for 1 goal last season compared to our rivals of 1 in 4.

We are in big trouble if any of this materializes.

Bielsa has habit of been stubborn, its a weakness, it could cost us and he also underplays what he needs. Regardless of phillips or roofe we need another CB and Striker.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

lurganblue

If Leeds sold Phillips for say 25m, would the club then allow Bielsa to invest that money in a few players that he has his eye on? Will the Jansson 5.5m be reinvested or will it be gobbled up by the owners such as happens at a load of other clubs?

lurganblue

Looks like he's staying and villa have moved on to some lad Douglas Luiz instead. Fair play to Phillips. Sticks with his boyhood club for another push at promotion. Exactly the same as Grealish last year.

Rufus T Firefly

Things quite quiet around here. The big kick-off is only days away now and I'd be worried about the relative lack of transfer activity - in particular problems at each end of the pitch (centre-forward and goalkeeper) have not been addressed and potentially a new issue at centre-half has arisen with the selling of Jansson, with the hope now that Ben White will be able to fill the void - however that still leaves a relaince on Berardi and Cooper.

Costa looks to be a big addition and retaining Clarke for another season seems like good business but I'd love to see a few more additions, or otherwise we are going to be relying on Bielsa to work his magic again with very limited resoources. 

Rufus T Firefly

To answer my own question, I note we are being linked with a move for Italian centre-forward Andrea Petagna from Serie A side SPAL. Leeds have reportedly offered £13.8 million but are being told he will cost closer to £23 million, which I'd guess is likely to put him outside our shopping range. At least it suggests that we are still active in the transfer market and that the need for goals is a concern.