Mayo v Galway, MacHale Park, Sunday 13th May 4pm

Started by From the Bunker, April 01, 2018, 08:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

G just seen a pictute of the parsons clash; horrible collision! Hope all goes well in his recovery and he gets bck to good health!  He never play county football again am afraid@ that injury something else+

Kurtz

Quote from: Syferus on May 14, 2018, 05:45:20 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on May 14, 2018, 05:18:54 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 14, 2018, 03:33:40 PM

A lot of Mayo apologists for Diarmuid O'Connor are out in force today, but there is a fair body of evidence at this stage to indicate that DOC is more than fond of the dirt. He should have got a straight red in the league match against Galway for a ridiculous high challenge on Kerin and lets call out what the – which one replay angle clearly shows – calculated, premeditated elbow yesterday was: a dirty blow that there can be no excuse for.
The substantial amount of Mayo fans that applauded him off the pitch while castigating Conroy as a cheat would want to seriously cop themselves on. Not to mention the bizarre cheering when the change of Cafferkey was announced pre match, maybe they were excited about Barrett starting but how would Cafferkey and his family feel about that? I'm not trying to antagonise Mayo fans here, I was sat in the terrace with all my own Mayo relations and you couldn't fault their behaviour or that of the majority of Mayo fans but while there's a lot of backslapping given to Mayo fans by themselves and others for what they bring to the game, for a certain portion of them yesterday it was not a good look at all.

I agree with all of this. I was the good samartian yesterday and brought my oul fella and uncle along who wouldn't get to many games anymore at their age. Both of them referenced the behavior and edge to the Mayo fans which 'never used to be the way'. The torrents of abuse at the referee when at best they hadn't seen a replay, and at worst it was a clear elbow, was absolutely laughable. Less widespread but still there was abuse of Conroy who was quite clearly out cold or close to it, whether the elbow was accidental or not. That was really awful. Booing of free takers also.

Mayo fans have clearly been amazing and follow the team everywhere with such passion, and have this unreal pride with stuff like 'Mayo day' or throwing a Mayo jersey at every celeb they meet or how the Jersey is the only thing they'll wear abroad. Stuff that has the rest of the country cringing with embarrassment but you put up with it because it's Mayo and it's good natured and doesn't harm anyone. However there seems to be a blind spot that come with this specific side, from blind defense of player indescretions to referee abuse to complaining about the media. It's been very apparent recently, since 2012 or so and plenty of county's supporters have commented on it, the biggest probably being Donegal fans upset with Mayo fans behavior during the 2013 hammering. Have heard it from Kerry fans also, while the dubs and Ros fans can probably be taken with a pinch of salt. Still, it's been a fair fall from grace from being everyone's second team and the lovable gracious neighbor to being the set of fans people dislike most.

Leitrim supporters are far bigger w**kers than Mayo supporters in general.

I can't comment on Galway football supporters because they're such an endangered species.

Its because they keep losing to Ros
It does funny things to a person
Like Ros losing to Mayo every year for last 30 odd years  ;D ;D ;D

Met some Leitrim supporters on a night out in Dublin
Soon as I mentioned Roscommon the abuse started (from a girl of course).
Not just banter I mean she was angry
Nearly ended in a punch up.  They ended up leaving, dragging the screaming
harpie with them after she got beer emptied on her head.
The Leitrim boyfriend thought about being a white night, made a few shapes, but then decided
he might get his ass kicked so they left.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on May 14, 2018, 10:56:43 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on May 14, 2018, 10:24:17 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 14, 2018, 10:05:20 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on May 14, 2018, 09:28:32 PM
What'll the Hyde hold after the health and safety officers have a look? 21k I think in crap weather last year. I'd say 25k could be reasonably expected on a normal day with a bit more added interest this year

There was 18,287 last year. There was some 15,000 at the replay in 2016, at the venue it would be held in if for some reason the Hyde couldn't be used.

There is zero question about the Hyde being able to host the capacity required for a Connacht final between Roscommon and Galway.

Weird to mention H&S officers when everyone knows that's exactly why McHale, Salthill and the Hyde's capacity reduced in recent years.

I only mentioned H&S because of the lengthy discussion about McHale's capacity prior to Sunday. I think everyone was surprised at the low figure of 28k being mentioned beforehand. Perhaps the Hyde has an up to date capacity figure but surely there'll be a look taken prior to the first big game there in yonks.

We hosted CFs 2011, 2012 and 2015, hardly 'yonks ago'? There was probably close to as many at the Ros-Mayo league match two years ago at the Hyde as there would be for a Ros-Galway CF.
You never saw a good Galway team,  young man. You wouldn't know what sort of crowd it might draw.  There are 2 behemoths in Connacht football, not 1.
Galway can win Connacht titles with middling teams who go no further.  But every so often it can have a team that is the real deal. And you haven't seen the crowds when that happens.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Kurtz

Quote from: seafoid on May 15, 2018, 07:28:05 AM
Quote from: Syferus on May 14, 2018, 10:56:43 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on May 14, 2018, 10:24:17 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 14, 2018, 10:05:20 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on May 14, 2018, 09:28:32 PM
What'll the Hyde hold after the health and safety officers have a look? 21k I think in crap weather last year. I'd say 25k could be reasonably expected on a normal day with a bit more added interest this year

There was 18,287 last year. There was some 15,000 at the replay in 2016, at the venue it would be held in if for some reason the Hyde couldn't be used.

There is zero question about the Hyde being able to host the capacity required for a Connacht final between Roscommon and Galway.

Weird to mention H&S officers when everyone knows that's exactly why McHale, Salthill and the Hyde's capacity reduced in recent years.

I only mentioned H&S because of the lengthy discussion about McHale's capacity prior to Sunday. I think everyone was surprised at the low figure of 28k being mentioned beforehand. Perhaps the Hyde has an up to date capacity figure but surely there'll be a look taken prior to the first big game there in yonks.

We hosted CFs 2011, 2012 and 2015, hardly 'yonks ago'? There was probably close to as many at the Ros-Mayo league match two years ago at the Hyde as there would be for a Ros-Galway CF.
You never saw a good Galway team,  young man. You wouldn't know what sort of crowd it might draw.  There are 2 behemoths in Connacht football, not 1.
Galway can win Connacht titles with middling teams who go no further.  But every so often it can have a team that is the real deal. And you haven't seen the crowds when that happens.

True.
As ex Jarlaths man I agree

Rossfan

No bandwagon like a Galway football one.
1995 they were outnumbered 5 to 1 by Laythrum in Tuam, 1998......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on May 15, 2018, 09:02:18 AM

94 was a low year for the usual suspects. Leitrim were champions. First time since 1927. Of course they were all over Tuam in 95. 

In fairness, expectations are very important.
If Leitrim or Sligo win Connacht the cup gets brought over the border. Once every 50 to 100 years.
If Ros win there is great excitment. Once a decade or so.
Mayo and Galway win 3 to 5 times a decade.
So you can't really compare.   
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

galwayman

Quote from: Rossfan on May 15, 2018, 09:02:18 AM
Except we didn't play Leitrim in Tuam in 1995.
Galway people are fickle in the extreme regardless of what sport it is.
Galway hurlers have big support when they are going well.
If they're middling their support is rubbish.
Same as it ever was.
It does annoy me as I've been going to Galway football matches since I was 5 years old - when we were shit and when we were decent.
Used to go to every league game home or away but have a little one at home now so can't make as many games as I used to at the moment.
Also playing a small bit of junior soccer from time to time doesn't lend itself too well to attending league games.
There's still nothing like following your team all over the country.
We don't have the same number of die hards as Mayo for example - nowhere close - but everyone will be an expert come the business end of the year if the team are doing well.
Same as it ever was unfortunately.

Maroon Manc

Listened to Colm Parkinson's podcast, changed his tune again and is a fan of what Galway are doing; He doesn't think their as defensive as the other pundits are making out and was more critical of Mayo's defensive tactics especially in the 2nd half.

There's a number of Galway players who've never experienced defeat to Mayo, didn't see that coming in 2016.

Kevin Walsh has taken plenty of stick from some of us on here but he was quicker to make subs and more importantly make the right subs particularity bringing Brannigan on for Kyne, I've seen some say he was too slow to bring Brannigan on obviously there were huge concerns over his fitness.

An Fhairche Abu

Does anyone know for sure the other 6 players on the Galway championship squad that weren't named on the 26 last Sunday?

Michael Daly and Kieran Molloy I assume are in there but Padraic Cunningham lined out (and played very well) for the Juniors on Sunday so I'm not sure whether he is still on the Senior panel or was released to the Juniors for the time being. Cian D'Arcy is surely going to play with the U20's as, I think, he is still eligible at that age grade.
Are Eoin Finnerty and Danny Cummins still in there? Who am I missing?

Manning18

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 15, 2018, 11:45:58 AM
Does anyone know for sure the other 6 players on the Galway championship squad that weren't named on the 26 last Sunday?

Michael Daly and Kieran Molloy I assume are in there but Padraic Cunningham lined out (and played very well) for the Juniors on Sunday so I'm not sure whether he is still on the Senior panel or was released to the Juniors for the time being. Cian D'Arcy is surely going to play with the U20's as, I think, he is still eligible at that age grade.

Daly, Molloy, Cummins, O'Beolain, Finnerty & Cunningham i'm guessing are the 6 based on the A v B game to open a pitch they had there a few weeks back. Probably no coincidence that the first 3 named missed so much of the year so he doesn't trust them to come back in as yet. Still not a bad sign that 3 footballers of that caliber can't make a 26 man squad.

bucko

Seen some comments on line that Galway used seven substitutes the last day. After reading the indo match report and counting the subs used it would appear to be true. By my understanding Thomas Flynn shouldn't have come back on for Cooke after his black card and Galway would've been down to 14 men. Given that Flynn contributed substantially in the last few minutes I'm surprised this hasn't been picked up anywhere, unless I'm missing something.🤔 I know Cooke came on as a blood sub for Conroy but my understanding is if a blood sub is permanent it counts towards the number of subs you can use.

Manning18

Quote from: bucko on May 15, 2018, 12:37:51 PM
Seen some comments on line that Galway used seven substitutes the last day. After reading the indo match report and counting the subs used it would appear to be true. By my understanding Thomas Flynn shouldn't have come back on for Cooke after his black card and Galway would've been down to 14 men. Given that Flynn contributed substantially in the last few minutes I'm surprised this hasn't been picked up anywhere, unless I'm missing something.🤔

Why? You're allowed use a max of 21 players, not max 6 subs

Edit: It may actually be 6 max but Cooke's introduction was as a blood sub i believe so didnt count

bucko

Quote from: Manning18 on May 15, 2018, 12:39:33 PM
Quote from: bucko on May 15, 2018, 12:37:51 PM
Seen some comments on line that Galway used seven substitutes the last day. After reading the indo match report and counting the subs used it would appear to be true. By my understanding Thomas Flynn shouldn't have come back on for Cooke after his black card and Galway would've been down to 14 men. Given that Flynn contributed substantially in the last few minutes I'm surprised this hasn't been picked up anywhere, unless I'm missing something.🤔

Why? You're allowed use a max of 21 players, not max 6 subs

Rule 2.4 (i) The maximum number of substitutions permitted during the playing of Normal Time shall be Six in Football and Five in Hurling.

Edit: It may actually be 6 max but Cooke's introduction was as a blood sub i believe so didnt count

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 15, 2018, 11:45:58 AM

Cunningham still in the squad anyway.
Was released for the junior game as he wasn't going to be in the 26.

bucko

Cooke's introduction was for Conroy was initially as a temporary sub, which in the rules states does not count towards your six subs. However if the injured/bloodied player does not return to the pitch it is no longer a temporary substitution.