Ricey Retires

Started by Nally Stand, October 30, 2012, 10:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersarsfields

Quote from: Take Your Points on October 31, 2012, 02:08:13 PM
He establishment in the Tyrone side could have been stymied if Decy McCrossan had remained at home to do his PGCE and had stayed with the Tyrone squad.  He was superior in so many ways to McMenamin and played the same part for Tyrone.

Both could have been accommodated. Declan McCrossan was a strong half back (I don't believe he was as good as Ricey tbh) but Ricey played his best football from the corner back position. Usually marking one of the opposition's key men. 

rodney trotter

Would Connor Gormley be following McMenamin and call it a day at inter county? Although he was probaly one of Tyrone's better players when they were hammered by Kerry.

Nally Stand

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 31, 2012, 02:21:04 PM
Would Connor Gormley be following McMenamin and call it a day at inter county? Although he was probaly one of Tyrone's better players when they were hammered by Kerry.

No. Already committed to another year.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: ONeill on October 30, 2012, 11:53:23 PM
Did he ever score a goal for the county? Was trying to remember. He probably did but don't recall it.

2004 McKenna Cup vs Londonderry

ziggysego

A superb player, who could run rings around anyone during the glory years. Every county had their villians and Ricey was ours. Not that he ever did anything too bad, just people were looking for excuses to crucify him. The McEntee incident was terrible though.
Testing Accessibility

LeoMc

Quote from: supersarsfields on October 31, 2012, 02:19:09 PM
Quote from: Take Your Points on October 31, 2012, 02:08:13 PM
He establishment in the Tyrone side could have been stymied if Decy McCrossan had remained at home to do his PGCE and had stayed with the Tyrone squad.  He was superior in so many ways to McMenamin and played the same part for Tyrone.

Both could have been accommodated. Declan McCrossan was a strong half back (I don't believe he was as good as Ricey tbh) but Ricey played his best football from the corner back position. Usually marking one of the opposition's key men.

Did they not both feature at Wing back in 2002, both attacking wing backs. Ricey then got moved to the corner for 2003.

Gabriel_Hurl

Earlier than that - they were the wing backs in 2001

LeoMc

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 31, 2012, 04:14:53 PM
Earlier than that - they were the wing backs in 2001
Robinson and McGinley were still in the corners in 2002 so Ricey did not back till after the Sligo debacle.

supersarsfields

Was Declan not plagued with some recurring injury around the time of his retirement as well? Norf would prob know better.

Puckoon

Declan has had a daily battle with ingrown hairs since about the age of 4.

Itchy

An out and out tr**p but its fair to say most teams would like a tr**p like him on their team

bennydorano

He's nothing to apologise for, all's fair in love & war. Brought more to the Tyrone team than his footballing ability & I think that that was ultimately more important.

tyssam5

rodney trotter

Quote from: stew on October 31, 2012, 07:39:56 PM
Quote from: Take Your Points on October 31, 2012, 07:26:45 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on October 31, 2012, 02:16:17 PM

I don't believe McMenamin purposely spat at Marc O'Se despite what an earlier poster said. The McEntee incident was the one where he did cross line.

From the Belfast Telegraph...........

From that angle he looks a bit like Roy Keane, and has even less class than Royboy.

He was a dirty animal who was all that was bad about gaelic football, himself and McMenamin are vermin of the lowest order. I am glad this filthy animal is gone from inter county football, it will be all the better for it!

Tyrone have had some gaggle of horrible hoors over the last ten years playing for them.

Keano did lots of things but he never spat at anyone ASAIK. McMenamin was low class, but very effective for Tyrone

Orior

I wish I could turn the clock back, announce my retirement from club football and then sit back and watch a thread grow discussing my achievements.

Hang on, I never retired, I was just permanently dropped. The final insult was when Poyntzpass only fielded 14 players while I was a sub.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians