Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Eddie Dunbar has to have a big chance for Ireland u23 race on now.

bennydorano

The podium of La Vuelta could be prominent, Yates, Mas & Lopez all have a shout (not even sure they're all racing tbh). IF backing a favourite I'd go with Nibali as he has been targetting it as you say.

20th for Dunbar

grounded

I'm not sure if I put the link up before but a great documentary on Graeme Obree and Chris Boardman here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yIDQH3FeG7Y

Really were different times.

Interestingly they also did a piece on the actual seating positions themselves and what advantage that they may have had.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ9H0INZ2_s

bennydorano

Possible lifeline for Team Sky - merger with Israeli Cycling Academy

http://fal.cn/rU2H

snoopdog

Buckled my back wheel in a pothole in Dublin. Need a new wheel. Can i claim this of the corporation?. There was work being done on the road and it has a badly filled in temp tarmac filling. Anyone ever claimed for a bike wheel? Or is it worth the hassle. ?

maddog

Quote from: snoopdog on January 17, 2019, 01:25:42 PM
Buckled my back wheel in a pothole in Dublin. Need a new wheel. Can i claim this of the corporation?. There was work being done on the road and it has a badly filled in temp tarmac filling. Anyone ever claimed for a bike wheel? Or is it worth the hassle. ?

How bad is it ? Can it not be repaired ?

markl121

Genuinely would never have thought of this. Interested to hear the replies as it would affect bike and car users both.

snoopdog

Quote from: maddog on January 17, 2019, 02:11:28 PM

The shop said a new wheel is required.

snoopdog

Quote from: snoopdog on January 17, 2019, 11:37:37 PM

Its more than a buckle. There is a crack in the hub.

maddog

Quote from: snoopdog on January 17, 2019, 11:39:27 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on January 17, 2019, 11:37:37 PM

Its more than a buckle. There is a crack in the hub.

Probably best replaced then. If it was an expensive wheel you could possibly fix the rim and replace the hub, but if inexpensive then new wheel best way to go.

markl121

What kind of training do you fellas donto improve your power? I don't have a power meter so I know I can't really be accurate but generally my strava estimated power and zwift power using my weight/speed/heart rate gives me an FTP of 123. I'm 90kg so I know this figure is awful. I cycle generally 15-20 mile a few nights a week after work and when I get a chance at the weekends. I tend to find the fastest I can go on the flats is 15mph average speed, maybe 16 if I'm feeling fresh. Atm I can barely manage more than 13 but that's probably because I haven't been out much over winter. I've started an FTP training plan on zwift, what else should I be doing? Obviously I'm trying to trim down a bit although a lot of my weight is leg muscle and shoulder.
I don't generally feel like I'm improving much, I tried the man of sperrin easy route last year and had to turn back at the top of the first mountain, having stopped about 5 times on the way up, my heart rate was going 205 so I was close to passing out. Another guy who wasn't a cyclist and was taking part because his brother organised it, was able to get up the hills fine. I want to be able to go to climbs and. I worry another whether I will even get up it or not, never mind speed.

grounded

Quote from: markl121 on February 13, 2019, 09:40:50 PM
What kind of training do you fellas donto improve your power? I don't have a power meter so I know I can't really be accurate but generally my strava estimated power and zwift power using my weight/speed/heart rate gives me an FTP of 123. I'm 90kg so I know this figure is awful. I cycle generally 15-20 mile a few nights a week after work and when I get a chance at the weekends. I tend to find the fastest I can go on the flats is 15mph average speed, maybe 16 if I'm feeling fresh. Atm I can barely manage more than 13 but that's probably because I haven't been out much over winter. I've started an FTP training plan on zwift, what else should I be doing? Obviously I'm trying to trim down a bit although a lot of my weight is leg muscle and shoulder.
I don't generally feel like I'm improving much, I tried the man of sperrin easy route last year and had to turn back at the top of the first mountain, having stopped about 5 times on the way up, my heart rate was going 205 so I was close to passing out. Another guy who wasn't a cyclist and was taking part because his brother organised it, was able to get up the hills fine. I want to be able to go to climbs and. I worry another whether I will even get up it or not, never mind speed.

A few questions.
1. What age are you?
2. How long have you been cycling?
3. What sort of bike so you ride and has it been maintained properly? (Might sound daft but for instance rubbing brake pads will slow you up).
4. Has the bike been properly set up for you?
5. What gearing do you have? This can have a profound effect on our ability to climb....

markl121

1)27
2) on and off about 5 years although have missed winters out in most of that time.
3) Specialized allez and yeah I get it serviced regularly enough
4) the bike was my dads so it wasn't ideal for me although I'm the same height roughly as him and I changed the stem to a shorter one and changed the Seatpost etc
5) initially it was a 50/34 with an 11/28, after man of sperrin I changed it to an 11/30 Which helped a good bit when cycling round Donegal over the summer.

illdecide

There's better men than me to advise you here but my guess is not to worry too much about your watts or pace over the winter but try and get more miles into the legs, the more times you get out the better you'll get and the speed will go up and the watts will follow.
What about joining a club and going out with them, that'll bring u on loads.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

grounded

Quote from: markl121 on February 13, 2019, 10:26:30 PM
1)27
2) on and off about 5 years although have missed winters out in most of that time.
3) Specialized allez and yeah I get it serviced regularly enough
4) the bike was my dads so it wasn't ideal for me although I'm the same height roughly as him and I changed the stem to a shorter one and changed the Seatpost etc
5) initially it was a 50/34 with an 11/28, after man of sperrin I changed it to an 11/30 Which helped a good bit when cycling round Donegal over the summer.

Something doesn't add up here. Would you consider yourself in reasonable physical condition(do you participate in any other sport?).

It does take a while to build up the muscles associated with cycling but you have been cycling for 5 years or so, so you would imagine that would have happened by now. I would imagine that your top speed on the flat would be greater than 16mph and certainly more than 13.

Provided the bike is setup correctly your specific bike should have the right gearing to get you up most hills.

What I would do is. Go to someone to have the bike specifically set up for you. That should cover everything from seat/handlebar position to cleat position in your shoes. Also have them check the bike again for something that Could be seized(bottom bracket, wheel bearings or brakes).
           Could you borrow someone else's bike to see does that make a difference?
           General advice would be to try to get out for a spin with a someone else or better still a local group, which will definitely bring you on. If you are finding climbing difficult then find a hilly circuit and repeat.
            As the weather improves and days lengthen increase the miles. In the winter do what you are doing or perhaps get to a spinning class. I manage to get out on the mountain bike during winter as I find the road too dangerous at evening/night.