Conspiracy Theories

Started by APM, September 15, 2020, 09:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 21, 2020, 10:24:10 AM
Quote from: Eire90 on September 20, 2020, 10:40:29 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/the-far-right-rises-its-growth-as-a-political-force-in-ireland-1.4358321

The far right always gathers pace when people are unhappy. History has shown that.

Ah now. How many far right movements worthy of the name have we ever had in Ireland? The Blueshirts is the only one I can think of.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: five points on September 21, 2020, 10:32:19 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/the-far-right-rises-its-growth-as-a-political-force-in-ireland-1.4358321

The far right always gathers pace when people are unhappy. History has shown that.

Ah now. How many far right movements worthy of the name have we ever had in Ireland? The Blueshirts is the only one I can think of.

I was thinking generally really on this one, not so much Ireland. But there is no doubt, the door is slightly ajar in Ireland for this type of character. Would it be successful? I would hope we are too wise to fall for that rhetoric.

Lots of people unhappy with various things, Covid, Immigration, the gang issue in Dublin and further out, there is a major homeless issue in Ireland, the justice system is roundly laughed at. Just thinking off the top of my head. Covid will make the poor, poorer. It's not beyond the realms of possibility.

five points

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 21, 2020, 11:10:38 AM

I was thinking generally really on this one, not so much Ireland. But there is no doubt, the door is slightly ajar in Ireland for this type of character. Would it be successful? I would hope we are too wise to fall for that rhetoric.

Lots of people unhappy with various things, Covid, Immigration, the gang issue in Dublin and further out, there is a major homeless issue in Ireland, the justice system is roundly laughed at. Just thinking off the top of my head. Covid will make the poor, poorer. It's not beyond the realms of possibility.

You used the word always. We've had one far right movement in a hundred years, much of which were entire decades when people were unhappy because of poverty, emigration and illnesses like TB. Today's problems pale in comparison with those of the 1950s for example.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: five points on September 21, 2020, 11:14:38 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 21, 2020, 11:10:38 AM

You used the word always. We've had one far right movement in a hundred years, much of which were entire decades when people were unhappy because of poverty, emigration and illnesses like TB. Today's problems pale in comparison with those of the 1950s for example.

I also said generally, not so much ireland.

five points

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 21, 2020, 11:18:41 AM

Only when I challenged your original sweeping statement. I wouldn't have challenged it at all if you had qualified it in the first place but subtlety and perspective seems to go out the window whenever this alleged "far right movement" is being discussed.

Rossfan

There's no alleged.
The cnts are out there, thankfully very few but are ready to latch onto any discontent to further their agenda of hate.

five points

Quote from: Rossfan on September 21, 2020, 12:15:42 PM
There's no alleged.
The cnts are out there, thankfully very few but are ready to latch onto any discontent to further their agenda of hate.

So it's not a movement. Thanks for supporting my point.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: five points on September 21, 2020, 11:56:01 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 21, 2020, 11:18:41 AM

Only when I challenged your original sweeping statement. I wouldn't have challenged it at all if you had qualified it in the first place but subtlety and perspective seems to go out the window whenever this alleged "far right movement" is being discussed.

Too many back and forth on this board recently over a form of words. I couldn't really be bothered with an epic saga here. My point was and is, wherever you have hardship, you have opportunity. These people thrive on conditions such as this.

Do I think it will happen? No. Do I want it to happen? No. Am I in any way right wing? No. I just see there being certain things broken in Ireland that can be manipulated for that end right now.

five points

There has been hardship in this country for 70 or 80 of the last hundred years. So much hardship to put todays' hardships into the ha'penny place. Yet after a hundred years, we've yet to be swamped by a far right movement. Even the Blueshirts ran out of steam very quickly in a decade when people were starving.

Rossfan

Quote from: five points on September 21, 2020, 12:17:06 PM
There's no alleged.

I'm just stating a fact.
Those cnts though would consider themselves a "movement".

Baile Brigín 2

There's no alleged.

How is it not a movement? Has a structure, leadership and funding.

five points

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 21, 2020, 03:39:56 PM
There's no alleged.

How is it not a movement? Has a structure, leadership and funding.

A group with only a few people in it is not a movement even if they grandiosely describe themselves as such.

Eire90

There growing at a very high rate