Monaghan v Tyrone - Sunday 15th June - St Tiernach's Park Clones

Started by GrandMasterFlash, May 25, 2014, 12:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 19, 2014, 12:58:41 PM
Quote from: sheamy on June 19, 2014, 12:38:02 PM
Dozens of players do it at every level of the game. Doesn't make it any more palatable. It should be highlighted.

Cavanagh has possibly the highest media profile of any player in the GAA. He does every press function that it's possible to do.

It might go a bit of the way to explaining 'why me'.

It might also be because his style of play were he is one of the very few players who directly runs at defences and takes them on meaning that defenders tend to stop him by any means - often by fouling him. As such it is often him who finds himself in these situations. How many times in that last 10 mins alone did Cavanagh run at that Monaghan defence and create panic? His plight is highlighted because he is a superbly direct footballer who runs at defences and feck all to do with the fact that he attends functions.

A lot of truth in that. He finds himself in that situation more than most.

rrhf

Quote from: screenexile on June 19, 2014, 12:31:56 PM
Quote from: rrhf on June 18, 2014, 08:45:12 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 18, 2014, 03:02:08 PM
Maybe so. I'm just having a go at Parkinson.
Wooly is a breath of fresh air.

Parkinson's article has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read... why is this guy even near it? I think he won a Leinster once and called the greatest GAA manager of all time a bluffer but other than that? 

Pulling a mans arm in under you and falling is conning the ref! It gets him thinking the man is pulling you or holding you back when he actually can't get his arm away.

Bottom line is I don't doubt Hughes committed a foul but Cavanagh should have received a black card for pulling him on top of himself. Cavanagh is asking "Why always me?" because he feels like Mario Ballotelli... the 2 lads will find the answer in the mirror.
Did the top burst off the Derry tin of self loathing... starting to spill over... 

nrico2006

Dozens of players do it at every level of the game. Doesn't make it any more palatable. It should be highlighted.

Cavanagh has possibly the highest media profile of any player in the GAA. He does every press function that it's possible to do.

It might also be because his style of play were he is one of the very few players who directly runs at defences and takes them on meaning that defenders tend to stop him by any means - often by fouling him. As such it is often him who finds himself in these situations. How many times in that last 10 mins alone did Cavanagh run at that Monaghan defence and create panic? His plight is highlighted because he is a superbly direct footballer who runs at defences and feck all to do with the fact that he attends functions.

Why are all the tricks of the trade not being highlighted then?  How often do we see jerseys being pulled or men being pushed yet nothing is done about it?  Some hypocrites about too, I remember the crying about the number of steps Cavanagh took against Dublin in 2008 yet not too much talked about the pulling that was going on that prevented him from playing within the correct nuymber of allocated steps hence the referee allowing him an advantage.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

Decent interview with him today. I think sometimes the likes of Brolly forget that these lads are amateur at the end of the day, and their families are very exposed. Him making personal attacks on a player is more than just Sunday afternoon 'entertainment'.

By Arthur Sullivan

Seán Cavanagh says he has no regrets about not taking the late free that could have rescued a draw for Tyrone in their defeat to Monaghan at the weekend.
Cavanagh, who kicked two crucial late frees to secure a draw for Tyrone in their preliminary round game against Down last month, opted not to take the kick, giving it instead to goalkeeper Niall Morgan, whose effort from the difficult set-piece trailed to the right and wide.
"Genuinely, it was a combination that I had been fouled a couple of times and I was struggling," said Cavanagh yesterday at an event to mark PwC's continued partnership with the GPA.
"Even if I wasn't, I still would have given it to Niall. Niall is unbelievable. Last night (Tuesday) at training he was kicking them from 65 metres and that's no exaggeration. He's unbelievable at them. I think if the situation arose again I would still give it to him.
"He can miss but Niall would put over nine out of 10 of those whereas I would put over five or six out of 10 of those. It's one of the ones that he missed on Sunday but hopefully he will learn from experience and it will make him a stronger and better player."
Cavanagh admitted that Tyrone were far from at their best in the 1-12 to 0-14 defeat to Monaghan, but he is confident they can re-group in the qualifiers, as they did in last year's championship having lost to Donegal at the same stage.
"We just didn't perform, simple as that," he said. "We knew at half-time we were playing in second, third gear and we just couldn't pull it back quick enough. Obviously they got the goal at the right time. It was hard after that trying to pull it back.
"We only really started trying to cut loose in the last 10 or 15 minutes but up to that it was...give credit to Monaghan, they know how to defend and they contained us, but at the same time, we are disappointed with how we attacked in particular. It probably made life a little bit easier for them than we would have liked to but on the day, we can't have any complaints. They were the better side and it will take a good team to beat them.
"We know we have got more in us and we have to find a way to try and get a few of our key men back in through the Qualifiers for a bit of game time. The likes of Joe McMahon and guys like that. We have to use the Qualifiers to our best advantage. A few guys haven't got enough game time so hopefully a bit of game time and hopefully get back where we know we should be at."

He praised Monaghan's defensive organisation, and said their ability to break quickly into attack from defence reminded him of Donegal two years ago.
"They are a good side and you would imagine that they would get through Armagh and they will meet Donegal in the Ulster final," he said. "That will be a mammoth game because both teams play similar systems and it will take a good team to beat both teams in this year's championship because they will always make life difficult for you."
Cavanagh also responded to criticism of him from RTÉ pundit Joe Brolly, who singled him out following the Monaghan game for what the Derry analyst deemed to be a deliberate attempt from Cavanagh to draw a foul from a challenge from Darren Hughes.
"Obviously I've been here before," said Cavanagh, referencing criticism from Brolly for a tackle he made on Monaghan's Conor McManus in the All-Ireland quarter-final last year, "and I'm beginning to feel a little bit like Mario Balotelli!
"You know what, I find it hard to understand and I would be completely honest with you guys, I remember saying to Darren right after that challenge...look from last year's match when we played them in Croke Park, I remember saying to Darren right after that challenge, 'Look that was hard on you, you should never have got booked for it.'
Cavanagh said he wasn't overly upset by the criticism, but he admitted that elements of him are "annoying" and that it affects those close to him as well.
"He's not someone that I would know very much," said Cavanagh of Brolly. "I would bump into most pundits somewhere along the line but I would never have really met Joe. I don't understand it. Yet again, it's my family, my friends, my wife.
"My wife is a local GP, she's coming home to me and saying, 'Oh, people from all cross sections of the community are complaining, are talking about you today again'. And you're just going, 'right...' It's disappointing from that point of view because it does affect you.
"Whether it affects you directly...it didn't worry me after Sunday because, like last year, I was more worried and disappointed by the fact we lost the game. But in the days after it, your family and friends start telling you stories about people who aren't that clued in on GAA and are telling them that, yet again, I'm some bad boy of GAA that is always up to these sort of cheating tactics, or something. To me, it couldn't be further from the truth and that's what's disappointing."

sheamy

Don't disagree. I said 'a bit of the way'. We're still talking about this 4-5 days on. Why? Because he did press yesterday to promote the GPA and PWC with this Ballotelli line. He knows what he is at so can't complain about media coverage when he doesn't like it. That's my point.

He is an absolutely excellent footballer. No angel on the field mind but does get a lot of abuse on it as well.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 18, 2014, 11:02:02 PM
Quote from: weejim on June 18, 2014, 09:34:43 PM
  watched 1st half on sky+ HD.

5min37.  .dessie mone dives after being nudged from behind by c. McGinley. mone warned by ref.

8min30. vinny corey deliberately hand-trips McGinley TWICE in full view of linesman mcquillan and ref.free given to mon for pickup off ground.strange he sees pickup but not 2  hand trips which are much more obvious and cynical than mccurrys elbow trip.

9th min. .penrose pulled back by Kelly,whistle blows well after foul,ref gives free out for ?overcarrying. very harsh!

14min31..  k hughes slips as he shoots for score, ref DIDNT have his arm raised for advantage so why did he give a free when the ball landed short?  there was NO foul.

16min11... vinny corey dives/goes down easily for soft free,sean protests,there was minimal contact. ?ref conned again!

23min07..  dessie mone goes down easily in box,after hesitation ref gives penalty,then consults via radio again with linesman/standby referee mcquillan and gives mcnabb yellow.it was barely a foul,def not a yellow

28min14..  drew wylie pulls big sean down behind him with his left hand right in front of mcquillan and ref.mon get free.sean doesn't bother protesting(prob assumes both are blind/subconsciously influenced by joe 93 rants)

29min50..  penrose is "taken out" by colin walshe at corner flag, again in full view of ref and mcquillan.!no free,! unbelieveable!!

36min47..  penrose pulls down k duffy by arm.free to tyrone,ref duped again.
If only the ref had HD.
If only Joe Brolly had HD. Or a pair of eyes. Or if only people would talk about these things above that we all witnessed, instead of every mouthpiece in Ireland arguing blindly about whatever Joe has told them to think. Incidentally, the Vinny Corey hand trip occurred almost within touching distance of the linesman Joe McQuillan.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

imtommygunn

So it's not possible for someone who watched the game on BBC and saw absolutely no RTE coverage of the game to draw the conclusion that they think Cavanagh dived a lot? Is that what you're saying? Every conclusion that Cavanagh dived a lot must have been influenced by Joe Brolly?

You're giving Joe Brolly a lot of credibilitiy there.  As well as various other flaws in your argument...

Is there an 11th commandment with some of you Tyrone posters sometimes "Thou shalt not question Tyrone"?

All of a Sludden

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 19, 2014, 02:21:49 PM
Is there an 11th commandment with some of you Tyrone posters sometimes "Thou shalt not question Tyrone"?

It seems the Tyrone posters aren't on their own, the mods, neither of who are from Tyrone, don't allow topics that are in any way critical of Tyrone and especially their manager.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Nally Stand

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 19, 2014, 02:21:49 PM
So it's not possible for someone who watched the game on BBC and saw absolutely no RTE coverage of the game to draw the conclusion that they think Cavanagh dived a lot? Is that what you're saying? Every conclusion that Cavanagh dived a lot must have been influenced by Joe Brolly?

You're giving Joe Brolly a lot of credibilitiy there.  As well as various other flaws in your argument...

So it's just a coincidence that the widespread "Cavanagh's a diver" thing only started two Tyrone games ago, when Joe first went on a rant about it? Odd too that the general public aren't hounding Dessie Mone for his diving on Sunday too then, you know, saying as people aren't just being led by Brolly like?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

J OGorman

Cavanagh is getting the thick end of this as he is now the main culprit in a team who are famous for diving. It started on a mass scale in the 2003 Ulster championship. Handy frees in and around the 14/21, easy scores.  Its continued ever since. Do parts the media / certain pundits have it in for Tyrone? Maybe, but its been earned. Cut out the diving and the so called anti-Tyrone agenda ends.
Diving is a fierce blight on what is a physical / manly game

WT4E

Quote from: J OGorman on June 19, 2014, 02:56:41 PM
Cavanagh is getting the thick end of this as he is now the main culprit in a team who are famous for diving. It started on a mass scale in the 2003 Ulster championship. Handy frees in and around the 14/21, easy scores.  Its continued ever since. Do parts the media / certain pundits have it in for Tyrone? Maybe, but its been earned. Cut out the diving and the so called anti-Tyrone agenda ends.

OMG

I have no words!

Nally Stand

Utter drivel. To pick out Tyrone as being any worse than any other team is an opinion based on nothing more than buying the waffle being spouted in the RTE studio. Dessie Mone gave a couple of masterclasses in diving last day out. Does anyone care? No. Why? Sure Joe hasn't told us to worry about him. It's only "cheating" when Tyrone do it.

J OGorman

Quote from: Nally Stand on June 19, 2014, 03:04:57 PM

Utter drivel. To pick out Tyrone as being any worse than any other team is an opinion based on nothing more than buying the waffle being spouted in the RTE studio. Dessie Mone gave a couple of masterclasses in diving last day out. Does anyone care? No. Why? Sure Joe hasn't told us to worry about him. It's only "cheating" when Tyrone do it.

but its not drivel. Tyrone are, by some stretch the market leaders here. I dont anyone to tell me that. If it was Donegal, Kerry whoever, I'd call it the same. Its an anti-diving rant

screenexile

rrhf

When Derry finally produce a footballer capable of lacing Cavanaghs boots we will then start to put this down as something other than nasty begrudgery on behalf of you guys etc..