Monaghan v Tyrone - Sunday 15th June - St Tiernach's Park Clones

Started by GrandMasterFlash, May 25, 2014, 12:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stalwart

WT4E

Monaghan deserved winners yesterday even though a poor Tyrone performance could of snatched a late draw.

Cavanagh seems to be getting picked out a lot this last number of years possibly unfairly however bearing in mind I am a big fan of his footballing ability the fact he is being singled out doesn't really surprise me. IMO he's not one of the most likeable county players I have came across in my time. He would be awful whinger on the club scene and would have a trick or two up his sleeve in those games too. I just hope he tries to tone it down a bit from now to the end of his football career so he can be remembered for his sheer talent rather than anything negative.

Others have commented on put Matty D here and put him there to sort - I reckon his best position is 6 but the problem we really have is that we need about another 6/7 like him.

In fairness to Colm Cav - he took a lot of criticism in the early years but he is one of Tyrones most consistent performers.

Also I think Harte's time is up - heard from a good source that he's becoming more and more distant from the players - surely that's not a good sign!

ONeill

I like watching the Monaghan full back line. Real hard, tight traditional defenders.

Hopefully with that red monkey off their back they'll throw off the shackles and become the Meath of 96/99 I think they resemble.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orangeman

Quote from: sheamy on June 16, 2014, 12:05:54 PM

Conor Clarke in 'Christ the Redeemer' pose.

Not much wrong - simply praying for intervention.

PAULD123

Stephen O'Neill was worse than ineffective. He failed to mark his man allowing him to score 2 points. Going forward he offered nothing. Either he should be dropped or moved to full-forward. To play him at full forward Tyrone would need to drop balls in on him and feed him with runners. Which would a total change of tactics.

But if Tyrone persist with the running game then they have to change their approach. When a Tyrone player has the ball inside the opponents half there is no one trying to run past him for a quick pass over the top. In stead they are running back behind him for an easy pass but one that just adds to the congestion and brings the ball into a worse location.

Mattie Donnelly would do it but he is a bit far back starting from CHB. Ideally Peter Harte should be bursting through to take the ball on the run. There are too many Tyrone players static or running parallel behind the man in possession when they are attacking.

This is a problem I've seen for a few years with Down and now can see Tyrone have the same problem. If you want to play the defensive style of football that is so prevalent in Ulster then you need to commit to fast direct football in the attack, with players flooding back after attack is over. But not players standing behind the attack waiting for it to end.

Under Lights

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 16, 2014, 01:39:35 PM
Stephen O'Neill was worse than ineffective. He failed to mark his man allowing him to score 2 points. Going forward he offered nothing. Either he should be dropped or moved to full-forward. To play him at full forward Tyrone would need to drop balls in on him and feed him with runners. Which would a total change of tactics.

But if Tyrone persist with the running game then they have to change their approach. When a Tyrone player has the ball inside the opponents half there is no one trying to run past him for a quick pass over the top. In stead they are running back behind him for an easy pass but one that just adds to the congestion and brings the ball into a worse location.

Mattie Donnelly would do it but he is a bit far back starting from CHB. Ideally Peter Harte should be bursting through to take the ball on the run. There are too many Tyrone players static or running parallel behind the man in possession when they are attacking.

This is a problem I've seen for a few years with Down and now can see Tyrone have the same problem. If you want to play the defensive style of football that is so prevalent in Ulster then you need to commit to fast direct football in the attack, with players flooding back after attack is over. But not players standing behind the attack waiting for it to end.

Exactly my thoughts on Tyrone's style of play.

Hard to watch. It will never create a goal chance against a decent side the way they are currently operating.

LeoMc

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 16, 2014, 10:04:25 AM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 16, 2014, 09:54:24 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 16, 2014, 09:23:16 AM
One of the obvious candidates for me though was on the opposition bench yesterday.

MOR? What about PTG?

Meh. Peter to me lacks a bit of charisma based on his punditry levels, and he hardly inspired at Fermanagh.

Did you ever read Mickeys column. If we were picking managers based on the charisma of their public utterances.....

BTW PTG is yet to prove himself as a Manager. MOR & MH managed and had success with a number of teams at different levels and didn't just walk into their current jobs.

God14

Quote from: LeoMc on June 16, 2014, 02:53:18 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 16, 2014, 10:04:25 AM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 16, 2014, 09:54:24 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 16, 2014, 09:23:16 AM
One of the obvious candidates for me though was on the opposition bench yesterday.

MOR? What about PTG?

Meh. Peter to me lacks a bit of charisma based on his punditry levels, and he hardly inspired at Fermanagh.

Did you ever read Mickeys column. If we were picking managers based on the charisma of their public utterances.....

BTW PTG is yet to prove himself as a Manager. MOR & MH managed and had success with a number of teams at different levels and didn't just walk into their current jobs.

MOR would be the stand out candidate. Would he leave Monaghan for the job though?

Fuzzman

Very true Pauld but you need to be careful slagging of Mickey as you'll get blacklisted.  :o

I am all on for bringing in the new young lads now and using some of the older lads in the second half if necessary but when you saw how well McAliskey played when he came on you'd have to wonder why Mickey was so slow with the changes. Playing RoN in the corner and then the crazy balls that was hit towards him, what did they expect would happen.

Listening to the lads here in Dublin today (not many of them actual Dubs) are saying that the media have Tyrone tarnished in very bad light now. Even on Newstalk the last two games Mickey had declined from doing an interview cos he fell out with Wooly Parkinson. Apparently it was in their contract the manager would talk to them so has he now broken that contract.
RTE and especially Brolly definitely have a HUGE influence on people's perceptions and thus on referees, linesmen, other fans and even our own fans. There definitely seems to be a very negative media vibe around Tyrone now and the quicker we go away the better seems to be the feeling.
Mickey used to be excellent with the media and would be very gracious in defeat, even in a tight ugly game.

Me myself, I was taking the defeat well yesterday and just saying we're not good enough any more and on the way home we were listening to the Cork hurling game and was in good mood. But after watching TSG last night, reading the papers today and hearing about Brolly's constant attacks on Sean Cavanagh certainly there seems to be a bit of a witch hunt out there.
I agree with you WT4 that Sean isn't helping the cause with his antics and is giving the media and others too much rope to hang him with. Whereas Colm has really settled down and puts the head down, takes the knocks and doesn't whinge the way he used to. I saw at least 2 incidents yesterday were he was taken down off the ball and he didn't even react once.

Glad to see you have finally relaxed a but Main Street and released a lot of the anger and hatred you seem to have. I know you've suffered at our red hands for years but it's all over now. I for one would like to see you win Ulster as long as you can take the battle to the Dubs the same way Donegal would. Oh yes sorry I forgot you've still to beat Armagh yet. Wee Buns.

WT4E

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 16, 2014, 03:19:41 PM
Very true Pauld but you need to be careful slagging of Mickey as you'll get blacklisted.  :o

I am all on for bringing in the new young lads now and using some of the older lads in the second half if necessary but when you saw how well McAliskey played when he came on you'd have to wonder why Mickey was so slow with the changes. Playing RoN in the corner and then the crazy balls that was hit towards him, what did they expect would happen.

Listening to the lads here in Dublin today (not many of them actual Dubs) are saying that the media have Tyrone tarnished in very bad light now. Even on Newstalk the last two games Mickey had declined from doing an interview cos he fell out with Wooly Parkinson. Apparently it was in their contract the manager would talk to them so has he now broken that contract.
RTE and especially Brolly definitely have a HUGE influence on people's perceptions and thus on referees, linesmen, other fans and even our own fans. There definitely seems to be a very negative media vibe around Tyrone now and the quicker we go away the better seems to be the feeling.
Mickey used to be excellent with the media and would be very gracious in defeat, even in a tight ugly game.

Me myself, I was taking the defeat well yesterday and just saying we're not good enough any more and on the way home we were listening to the Cork hurling game and was in good mood. But after watching TSG last night, reading the papers today and hearing about Brolly's constant attacks on Sean Cavanagh certainly there seems to be a bit of a witch hunt out there.
I agree with you WT4 that Sean isn't helping the cause with his antics and is giving the media and others too much rope to hang him with. Whereas Colm has really settled down and puts the head down, takes the knocks and doesn't whinge the way he used to. I saw at least 2 incidents yesterday were he was taken down off the ball and he didn't even react once.

Glad to see you have finally relaxed a but Main Street and released a lot of the anger and hatred you seem to have. I know you've suffered at our red hands for years but it's all over now. I for one would like to see you win Ulster as long as you can take the battle to the Dubs the same way Donegal would. Oh yes sorry I forgot you've still to beat Armagh yet. Wee Buns.

What happened to Mickey and RTE can't be defended and not a lot of people would be able to know how to handle the situation giving what he has been through. However I think Mickey thinks he can control the media which isn't a good thing - take for example the situation where he gave the character ref for the lad who got convicted of sex assault (btw I think he may have had his reasons to do it and could well have been right) but the thing which really bugged me was, given the outcome of the case I found it strange that no one asked the question or reported a response from MH afterwards. Where they too afraid? Did he decline?

This would link back to him falling out with Off the ball and Parkinson as they seem not to be afraid to ask different/difficult questions? (compare this attitude with Parkinson and McGuinness recent interview and how he handled the criticism that Parkinson had gave Donegal in the build up to the Derry game)

And as you say I think this attitude is DEFINITELY having an effect on Tyrone's football.

rrhf

I blame Clonoe. 
Best team in the county over the last 5 years yet they only have given us 2 subs yesterday. 

Jinxy

Quote from: WT4E on June 16, 2014, 03:32:34 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on June 16, 2014, 03:19:41 PM

What happened to Mickey and RTE can't be defended and not a lot of people would be able to know how to handle the situation giving what he has been through. However I think Mickey thinks he can control the media which isn't a good thing - take for example the situation where he gave the character ref for the lad who got convicted of sex assault (btw I think he may have had his reasons to do it and could well have been right) but the thing which really bugged me was, given the outcome of the case I found it strange that no one asked the question or reported a response from MH afterwards. Where they too afraid? Did he decline?

This would link back to him falling out with Off the ball and Parkinson as they seem not to be afraid to ask different/difficult questions? (compare this attitude with Parkinson and McGuinness recent interview and how he handled the criticism that Parkinson had gave Donegal in the build up to the Derry game)

And as you say I think this attitude is DEFINITELY having an effect on Tyrone's football.

I thought Parkinson interviewed him before the game yesterday, did he not?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

The Bearded One

Anyone know what the official attendence was yesterday?
It is what it is. Presumably.

Club Rossa

Not sure of the exact attendance but it was just over 20,000.