Peter Robinson steps down as First Minister!

Started by under the bar, August 16, 2013, 11:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 19, 2014, 09:05:06 AM
People are very quick to label people who question any situation regarding anyone foreign a racist these days...

I would however say these people know nothing about his points, where anyone is in any queue etc etc. Why have they got any moral high ground would be another question?

There's a lot of 'non-racist' attacks in Loyalist areas in recent years against the Romanian, Chinese, Muslim and African communities. I'm sure the 'free' houses have annoyed the local wasps.
Testing Accessibility

armaghniac

Whatever about East Belfast, in North Belfast in loyalist areas there is a measure of depopulation and so vacant houses, so there is likely to be some inward movement. In such places "locals" are not especially short. But there are considerable efforts to prevent "others" coming in.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

It's been going for years with catholics in a lot of those areas. Now they've just changed their target and it's a hot potato so they're getting more publicity. What went on for years would also get significantly more coverage due to social media now too.

Now Robinson and co are being exposed for what they are. They don't care mind as they'll still get voted in.

muppet

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 19, 2014, 11:51:11 AM
It's been going for years with catholics in a lot of those areas. Now they've just changed their target and it's a hot potato so they're getting more publicity. What went on for years would also get significantly more coverage due to social media now too.

Now Robinson and co are being exposed for what they are. They don't care mind as they'll still get voted in.

Correct, and this was driven by sectarianism.

When sectarianism involves a different race as well, why are people surprised the word racist comes up?
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

A goodly proportion of Africans are Protestants, will this save them?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Muzz

He'll have no bother getting another house as he will be top of the queue again now as a victim of racism.  He would have had to put down his preferred area for a house so this area must have been within an area he chose.

Nobody can applaud the actions of those sitting outside the house "protesting".  The issue is with the system.  These "non-locals" are seen by the protesters as exploiting the system.  They are not exploiting a system - the system is the system.  One of the questions on the forms is if you have any friends or family that you can live with.  Obviously a foreigner coming into the country will not, however a local person that is living at home under their parents roof will have.  Therefore the foreigner automatically gets more points for that question. 

A lot of people say about Irish people that have moved away and do not get treated like this but they are not being granted houses through a social society system.

I am not racist in anyway but I can see why people get frustrated.  Someone at 30 years of age living in their parents house will never get a social house, where as someone moved to the country with kids and wife will get house. 

macdanger2

Quote from: Kidder81 on June 19, 2014, 07:27:47 AM
Quote from: foxcommander on June 19, 2014, 04:29:52 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on June 19, 2014, 12:21:09 AM
It's not a first come, first served allocation fox. You are awarded points for certain criteria and get a placed in a queue according to that. You're position can changed according to others who come onto the list.

I don't know the ins and outs of this particular case and why Michael Abiona was awarded certain points. I would safely guess that neither did the people protesting outside the house he was allocated in East Belfast.

Fionntamhnacht did a good job explaining the process. I'm sure Mr Abiona might want to pass on this particular offer if he's got 2 more shots at it.

Again this situation does highlight the need for debate on integration and immigration both north and south of the border.

No no you can't discuss immigration otherwise you will be labelled as a BNP supporter. Best just to pretend it isn't happening.

Immigration didn't cause this problem, the bigotry of the locals involved did.

How to change those attitudes and integrate non-locals with the locals might be a better discussion to start with.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Muzz on June 19, 2014, 12:07:27 PM
He'll have no bother getting another house as he will be top of the queue again now as a victim of racism.  He would have had to put down his preferred area for a house so this area must have been within an area he chose.

Nobody can applaud the actions of those sitting outside the house "protesting".  The issue is with the system.  These "non-locals" are seen by the protesters as exploiting the system.  They are not exploiting a system - the system is the system.  One of the questions on the forms is if you have any friends or family that you can live with.  Obviously a foreigner coming into the country will not, however a local person that is living at home under their parents roof will have.  Therefore the foreigner automatically gets more points for that question. 

A lot of people say about Irish people that have moved away and do not get treated like this but they are not being granted houses through a social society system.

I am not racist in anyway but I can see why people get frustrated.  Someone at 30 years of age living in their parents house will never get a social house, where as someone moved to the country with kids and wife will get house.

You're assuming that they're protesting purely because they feel this guy played the system though. Is that the case though?

What have people to be doing that they're sitting outside a house all day?

Are these people homeless as well? If not then surely the system is fulfilling their needs too?

EC Unique

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 19, 2014, 11:51:11 AM

This is where democracy fails.

imtommygunn

The alternative to a democratic society is not a good one but how many times can this guy come out with this kind of bile. Surely Cameron or someone are bound to care at least to some degree?

Muzz

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 19, 2014, 12:20:04 PM

You're assuming that they're protesting purely because they feel this guy played the system though. Is that the case though?

Are these people homeless as well? If not then surely the system is fulfilling their needs too?

I cant say why they are protesting and as I said no one can condone the actions of these people.  Certainly I can understand why they are annoyed about the system if that is the reason they are protesting.  If it is racism then of course it is wrong.

However listening to their interviews they are saying that houses in the area were built originally for pensioners and disabled people and the housing executive has started assigning these homes to families (they didnt say of which ethicity).  They felt that the houses should be going to people that really needed them i.e. local pensioners currently living in a 2 up 2 down house or those in existing homes that were not fully suitable for their disabled family.

You have to remember that those people sitting outside having a drink believe it is their god given right to lap up the sun and provide zero to society.  They dont work and they dont have to pay for their homes.  That is their belief so when other people are "jumping the queue" for their god given right of a free home this is when these things happen.

They are not homeless - they already have a home, but their son or daughter does not have a home and is on the list the same as most other families waiting for a home to become available.  Main issue being is they wont get a home because other people are seen as more needy on their applications.

muppet

Quote from: Muzz on June 19, 2014, 12:49:01 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 19, 2014, 12:20:04 PM

I cant say why they are protesting and as I said no one can condone the actions of these people.  Certainly I can understand why they are annoyed about the system if that is the reason they are protesting.  If it is racism then of course it is wrong.

However listening to their interviews they are saying that houses in the area were built originally for pensioners and disabled people and the housing executive has started assigning these homes to families (they didnt say of which ethicity).  They felt that the houses should be going to people that really needed them i.e. local pensioners currently living in a 2 up 2 down house or those in existing homes that were not fully suitable for their disabled family.

You have to remember that those people sitting outside having a drink believe it is their god given right to lap up the sun and provide zero to society.  They dont work and they dont have to pay for their homes.  That is their belief so when other people are "jumping the queue" for their god given right of a free home this is when these things happen.

They are not homeless - they already have a home, but their son or daughter does not have a home and is on the list the same as most other families waiting for a home to become available.  Main issue being is they wont get a home because other people are seen as more needy on their applications.

I find this particularly galling.

Local useless unproductive louts complaining about a foreign equivalent (as they see it) is not defensible imho.
MWWSI 2017

All of a Sludden

Your first minister spotted on his morning walk around Stormont.

I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Nally Stand

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

brokencrossbar1

If they are protesting about someone getting a benefit through working the system then why are they also not 'protesting' the houses of the taxi-men doing the double or the person falsely claiming DLA for 'depression' or someone else claiming carers allowance for the same 'depressed' person?  They are bigots full stop.  Whether it is sectarian, racist, sexist or whatever they are ingrained bigots, as are their political 'leaders' and unfortunately they play this bully boy approach, and are allowed to, and will continue to.  No-one here knows the guy who is getting the house and what his entitlement to that house is.  No-one out there does bar him and the people who made the decision.  It is a joke but another worrying example of the intolerance that is prevalent in what we call Northern Irish society.