Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 17, 2020, 05:46:12 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 17, 2020, 04:27:49 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 17, 2020, 12:31:53 PM
Quote from: LCohen on November 16, 2020, 07:03:02 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on November 16, 2020, 06:01:52 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 16, 2020, 04:13:01 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on November 16, 2020, 09:44:24 AM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 16, 2020, 09:35:41 AM
I've no doubt James McLean declared for the ROI for personal reasons and as you say no one would question his commitment or passion for the ROI team.

It's the likes of Alex Bruce that people like myself are referencing. He declared for the ROI and when he wasn't getting picked he switched allegiance to NI. For several players switching allegiances between NI/ROI or declaring for a country they weren't born in is simply a business decision they think will benefit their career.

https://www.the42.ie/stephen-mallon-switches-allegiance-to-northern-ireland-5192255-Sep2020/

Choosing your international team for football reasons is farcical . and goes against representative patriotism . Just to clarify , dublin7, you're not implying that McClean declared for a country he wasn't born in?

You criticise foreign rugby players for choosing to play international rugby for Ireland as a career option but don't consider the same applies to soccer? Footballers changing nationality for patriotic reasons are extremely rare and actually funny. How long after becoming first team regulars and premier league footballers do you think Declan Rice and Jack Grealish discovered their English patriotism???

I don't know what your point is regarding James McLean. No one has claimed he declared for Republic of Ireland for financial benefits or career prospects.
Really, I'm criticising the rules not the players. Allowing players to choose their nationality for career development ,whether for soccer or rugby , makes a farce of international sport.

Do think that by the standards of what you hold dear in terms of patriotism that the RoI soccer team is now and always has been, a legitimate team? Sure it wouldn't be as Irish as the Rugby team?

The teams v Wales home and away were all Irish born. Wembley was 9, with a switch immediately before the game swinging from 10.

Basic stuff.

That was an interesting statistic. 45 years and 400 games ago since that last happened. For comparisons sake there were 3 non Irish players in the Irish 15 that played Wales on Friday, which would be roughly similar percentage. One of them Quinn Roux has been living and playing in Ireland for the last 8 years, which is alot more time than some Irish footballers have spent here in their lifetime

Rubbish. Which Irish born soccer player spent less than 8 years in Ireland?

The granny rule days are over. Comparisons with rugby make no sense

I clearly said Irish footballers. I never mentioned Irish born. Without rehashing the same points you could easily out together a list of former Irish footballers who probably won't set foot in Ireland again unless it's for media work or as a football coach/manager.

Any foreign rugby player who wants to play for Ireland has to commit to living in Ireland and becoming part of the locality. That's a big difference.

....former....

Lookit, if you think a Kiwi is more Irish than an Irish citizen because Munster offered them a deal when French or English clubs wouldn't, good for you.

But some of us do have an issue with an Irish representative side becoming a league select

Dinny Breen

Interesting discussion. Modern Ireland is a different place than 1980s Ireland.

What is Irish identity and nationalism in sport?

Is it 23 players who live and work in the country, integrated into their communities? Is it 23 players who represent 32 counties? Is it 23 players who reflect Ireland's policies of immigration and integration as demonstrated in the offices of working Ireland? Is it 23 players who upon retiring will give back to the game in Ireland and eventually integrate themselves back into working Ireland?

Or is it 14 players who live overseas? Is it the 14 players who represent 26 counties? Is it the 14 players who will retire millionaire's and vast majority will remain overseas giving little back to the game or the communities in Ireland?

I was born and bred on a council estate, I find myself working for an American Corporation in Ireland, managing a team of diverse employees. They are from Egypt, El Salvador, Poland, USA, India, Brazil, Lithuania, Spain. If I am looking for a team to represent modern Ireland and someone I can identify with there is only one winner.

#newbridgeornowhere

6th sam

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 18, 2020, 07:55:01 AM

Is it 23 players who live and work in the country, integrated into their communities? Is it 23 players who represent 32 counties? Is it 23 players who reflect Ireland's policies of immigration and integration as demonstrated in the offices of working Ireland? Is it 23 players who upon retiring will give back to the game in Ireland and eventually integrate themselves back into working Ireland?

Or is it 14 players who live overseas? Is it the 14 players who represent 26 counties? Is it the 14 players who will retire millionaire's and vast majority will remain overseas giving little back to the game or the communities in Ireland?

I was born and bred on a council estate, I find myself working for an American Corporation in Ireland, managing a team of diverse employees. They are from Egypt, El Salvador, Poland, USA, India, Brazil, Lithuania, Spain. If I am looking for a team to represent modern Ireland and someone I can identify with there is only one winner.

Great post.
As long as someone is committed to the cause and has an appropriate passport they should be welcome. If you don't qualify for, or won't commit to an Irish passport ( or British, I imagine in the case of most Ulster rugby players) , then what other criteria make it appropriate for you to represent Ireland ? Whereas I see immigration to Ireland as positive , there has to be some evidence of national commitment to qualify for the international team. Hypothetically if ireland got to rugby World Cup final and were beaten by a Welsh side laced with players with NZ passports, would people be ok with that?

johnnycool

Quote from: 6th sam on November 18, 2020, 12:04:08 PM

Great post.
As long as someone is committed to the cause and has an appropriate passport they should be welcome. If you don't qualify for, or won't commit to an Irish passport ( or British, I imagine in the case of most Ulster rugby players) , then what other criteria make it appropriate for you to represent Ireland ? Whereas I see immigration to Ireland as positive , there has to be some evidence of national commitment to qualify for the international team. Hypothetically if ireland got to rugby World Cup final and were beaten by a Welsh side laced with players with NZ passports, would people be ok with that?

Getting beat by Wales is never OK  ;D ;D

The question you're asking is should the IRFU follow the criteria as set out by the IRB or stick with home born players?

When the IRFU went down the route of project players then I think the cat is already out of the bag. I really don't have issues with James Lowe, Stander of Bundee Aki playing for Ireland but I'm not involved in grass roots rugby and probably if I was I may have a different viewpoint.

The Soccer lads are making much of the home born aspect of the current squad but don't be kidding yourselves as if Michael Keane, Declan Rice or Grealish has continued to play for Ireland from their youth days then they'd be welcomed by open arms.

dublin7

Quote from: johnnycool on November 18, 2020, 12:19:45 PM

Great post.

The question you're asking is should the IRFU follow the criteria as set out by the IRB or stick with home born players?

When the IRFU went down the route of project players then I think the cat is already out of the bag. I really don't have issues with James Lowe, Stander of Bundee Aki playing for Ireland but I'm not involved in grass roots rugby and probably if I was I may have a different viewpoint.

The Soccer lads are making much of the home born aspect of the current squad but don't be kidding yourselves as if Michael Keane, Declan Rice or Grealish has continued to play for Ireland from their youth days then they'd be welcomed by open arms.

It's interesting that James Lowe is in the news at the moment as he made his debut for Ireland at the weekend even though he's a New Zealander and the usual does this guy care about Ireland etc stories appear in the paper.

What none of those journos looked at is the work he does around Dublin for underage and local rugby. All the provincial players have a club side they are affiliated with and when James Lowe arrived he was approached by all the big Dublin clubs like St. Marys, Blackrock etc to represent them but he wasn't interested and told Leinster to pick for a small club for him to work with and he now is affiliated with Clondalkin RFC. He regularly helps out with training the kids, medal presentations etc in the club and is the first Leinster/Irish player to be associated them. He has said in interviews for Leinster that helping out a small club like Clondalkin who wouldn't have the resources of the bigger clubs in the city is an important to him as it's a chance for him to give back to the community

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: dublin7 on November 18, 2020, 12:37:16 PM

Great post.

It's interesting that James Lowe is in the news at the moment as he made his debut for Ireland at the weekend even though he's a New Zealander and the usual does this guy care about Ireland etc stories appear in the paper.

What none of those journos looked at is the work he does around Dublin for underage and local rugby. All the provincial players have a club side they are affiliated with and when James Lowe arrived he was approached by all the big Dublin clubs like St. Marys, Blackrock etc to represent them but he wasn't interested and told Leinster to pick for a small club for him to work with and he now is affiliated with Clondalkin RFC. He regularly helps out with training the kids, medal presentations etc in the club and is the first Leinster/Irish player to be associated them. He has said in interviews for Leinster that helping out a small club like Clondalkin who wouldn't have the resources of the bigger clubs in the city is an important to him as it's a chance for him to give back to the community

Good for him.

Doesn't make him Irish though.

dublin7

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 18, 2020, 01:36:45 PM

Great post.

Good for him.

No, but it does show playing and living in Ireland for him is not just about benefiting his career. Pity I can't say the same about our most of our football imports.

One of the main reasons there are less players playing for Ireland who were born outside of Ireland is because FIFA have tightened the eligibility rules for players who want to go down this route and not because of any moral decisions made by the FAI and/or Irish managers.

I don't have a problem with Ireland doing this by the way. We are a small country with limited playing resources and have no structures in place to bring players through from schoolboy levels to international standard. It's not so long ago we were trying to get Patrick Bamford to declare for Ireland as a solution to Ireland's forward/goal scoring problems

I do find it hypocritcal though for football fans though to question Irish rugby players "Irishness" given they the tenuous link some of them have with this country before suddenly turning up to wear the green jersey.

6th sam

Quote from: dublin7 on November 18, 2020, 02:00:00 PM

Great post.

Good for him.

No, but it does show playing and living in Ireland for him is not just about benefiting his career. Pity I can't say the same about our most of our football imports.

One of the main reasons there are less players playing for Ireland who were born outside of Ireland is because FIFA have tightened the eligibility rules for players who want to go down this route and not because of any moral decisions made by the FAI and/or Irish managers.

I don't have a problem with Ireland doing this by the way. We are a small country with limited playing resources and have no structures in place to bring players through from schoolboy levels to international standard. It's not so long ago we were trying to get Patrick Bamford to declare for Ireland as a solution to Ireland's forward/goal scoring problems

I do find it hypocritcal though for football fans though to question Irish rugby players "Irishness" given they the tenuous link some of them have with this country before suddenly turning up to wear the green jersey.
I don't know James Lowe and I'm sure he's a great lad. Given that this club association is part of his contract , it doesn't warrant the same respect as say Peter Canavan  voluntarily helping Errigal u10s. Did he choose Clondalkin for an easier ride , ? Less members, lower expectations ? who knows?
I would welcome him coming here to play club rugby, but surely World Rugby needs to legislate for evidence of national affinity for international teams. They already recognise it's an issue by extending eligible residency to 5 years. Btw I'm no cheerleader for Irish soccer, but as a GAA member I see the benefit of affinity and the problems when it's watered down.

Dinny Breen

It's not part of his contract.

If a player becomes an International his "club" though get allocated extra tickets, hence senior clubs in Dublin try to sign up players to their club. Lowe picked Clondalkin as he had requests from fans who were members on the club. He got on well with them in short and is now essentially an ambassador from them. He's a good egg.

#newbridgeornowhere

ardtole

I don't see it as an issue for the irfu, more a problem more a world rugby problem. To me its an absolutely ridiculous rule, I lived in New York for 4 years, I never felt American, I lived in England and never felt English.

Down the line for example, how would grassroots rugby supporters feel if the next Brian O'Driscoll and Paul O'connor were recruited by Northampton at 17 years of age and represented England at 23/24  whatever the rule is.

Only a matter of time before enough money is thrown at an individual down the line. In my opinion that is what Ireland are doing recruiting the likes of Lowe, Stander etc, its a definite policy to Identity future international players via the provinces, into the national team.

I've no problem with the players individually, fantastic players but I don't think they should be representing Ireland.

6th sam

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 18, 2020, 04:50:25 PM
It's not part of his contract.

If a player becomes an International his "club" though get allocated extra tickets, hence senior clubs in Dublin try to sign up players to their club. Lowe picked Clondalkin as he had requests from fans who were members on the club. He got on well with them in short and is now essentially an ambassador from them. He's a good egg.
I don't doubt he's a good lad, but doesn't make him Irish. Why do players choose particular clubs ? If he is getting paid I've no problem, it's a professional sport

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: dublin7 on November 18, 2020, 02:00:00 PM

Great post.

Good for him.

Of course its to benefit his career. He isn't here for the food.

Absolute nonsense re tightening of rules. The rules were changed to the granny rule. You are literally making things up.

The 'tenious link' is a passport.

dublin7

Shame on James Lowe for wanting bro give something back to Ireland alright. He is nothing like that Irish football patriots Clinton Morrison, Declan Rice and Jack Grealish.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: dublin7 on November 18, 2020, 09:41:10 PM
Shame on James Lowe for wanting bro give something back to Ireland alright. He is nothing like that Irish football patriots Clinton Morrison, Declan Rice and Jack Grealish.

You do understand he has to be aligned to a club?

You do understand Morrison would not happen under Kenny?

johnnycool

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 18, 2020, 10:52:28 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on November 18, 2020, 09:41:10 PM

You do understand he has to be aligned to a club?

You do understand Morrison would not happen under Kenny?

That's Patrick Bamford bolloxed then. He will be gutted.