American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 14, 2024, 03:35:58 AMThe Jets QB covering himself in glory again I see

I havent seen the actual quotes yet - is it much different to what Alex Jones was spouting?

marty34

I heard Damien Lawlor last night say a few of the Irish kicking lads in Florida have signed up with the same agent.

He was saying there's another trial thing coming up soon.

Plus having an agent is a very positive thing.

Best of luck to them.

SouthOfThe Bann

Beggan Kicked 10 from 10 in his latest trial.

From 25 yards out to 60 yards.

Will definitely do his chances no harm.

lurganblue

Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on March 21, 2024, 09:25:01 AMBeggan Kicked 10 from 10 in his latest trial.

From 25 yards out to 60 yards.

Will definitely do his chances no harm.

I know age might be slightly against him but if he cannot get a contract after that flawless performance then there is no hope for the future of this type of scheme.

gallsman

His age is no concern for a kicker. They routinely play into their 40s.

He's not guaranteed a contract at all. It is extremely competitive and while 10 from 10 sounds (and is indeed) impressive, there'll be umpteen other college kickers who can and will have done the same. Kickers in the NFL would be expected to hit 95% odd of any kicks from less than 50 yards to avoid being cut.

Another matter is that not all teams are looking for a kicker. He may well get himself a contract, even for training camp, but he's not going to dislodge Justin Tucker ffs.

Saffrongael

Quote from: gallsman on March 21, 2024, 11:47:45 AMHis age is no concern for a kicker. They routinely play into their 40s.

He's not guaranteed a contract at all. It is extremely competitive and while 10 from 10 sounds (and is indeed) impressive, there'll be umpteen other college kickers who can and will have done the same. Kickers in the NFL would be expected to hit 95% odd of any kicks from less than 50 yards to avoid being cut.

Another matter is that not all teams are looking for a kicker. He may well get himself a contract, even for training camp, but he's not going to dislodge Justin Tucker ffs.

Yep have seen plenty of Instagram and the like videos of wannabe kickers nailing kicks from 70yds etc but it's not in the real world & not the conditions you would be expected to kick in the NFL. Ball snapped, timing your steps & another team trying to block it etc

Saying that would love to see him getting a crack at it but it's an unforgiving place the NFL, especially for kickers. They get cut left right and centre, miss a couple of extra points in a game on a Sunday and you are out of a job on Monday.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

lurganblue

Quote from: gallsman on March 21, 2024, 11:47:45 AMHis age is no concern for a kicker. They routinely play into their 40s.

Totally understand that and i dont think anyone sensible is expecting him to get kicking for any team in the regular season any time in the near future. Still, surely enough has been seen to get a practice squad contract.

SaffronSports

I don't think many teams hold an extra spot for a kicker on their practice squad. Usually if the kicker gets injured or hurt they'll act on it then. There's really only 32 active kickers out there so it's a tough gig to get. Even if a kicker gets injured in a game there's usually a back up option. I remember Wes Welker taking a kick back in the day as I think he had a soccer background.

smort

Quote from: SaffronSports on March 21, 2024, 12:13:19 PMI don't think many teams hold an extra spot for a kicker on their practice squad. Usually if the kicker gets injured or hurt they'll act on it then. There's really only 32 active kickers out there so it's a tough gig to get. Even if a kicker gets injured in a game there's usually a back up option. I remember Wes Welker taking a kick back in the day as I think he had a soccer background.

Teams won't hold a spot for a kicker on the practice squad, but there is an additional place on practice squads this upcoming season for an international player

Taylor

Its a massive massive ask for any of them lads to make it.
Practice squads maybe and take it from there but to be picked to play on a team is going to be next to impossible to achieve at the moment.

The Beggan kicking may seem impressive but there will be any number of players who achieved the same and dont have one of the 32 spots.

Fingers crossed they make some sort of progression and have a shot in the coming years.

As someone said, NFL is brutal with kickers in that you could be released a Monday morning and a replacement brought in immediately - I actually think they could have a shot of being called into a team if they are struggling during the season with kickers

Tony Baloney

Quote from: smort on March 21, 2024, 12:20:44 PM
Quote from: SaffronSports on March 21, 2024, 12:13:19 PMI don't think many teams hold an extra spot for a kicker on their practice squad. Usually if the kicker gets injured or hurt they'll act on it then. There's really only 32 active kickers out there so it's a tough gig to get. Even if a kicker gets injured in a game there's usually a back up option. I remember Wes Welker taking a kick back in the day as I think he had a soccer background.

Teams won't hold a spot for a kicker on the practice squad, but there is an additional place on practice squads this upcoming season for an international player
What's Beggan's occupation in the real world? Just wondering how long these chaps can hold out for if they don't make it first time, before reality bites.

thewobbler

I don't think any of us are quite capable of thinking about the qualities and variances of field goal kickers, in the same way as an NFL special teams coaches.

But from my perspective:

Beggan has a two step kick. He has exceptional distance. He has the physique to contribute defensively should something go wrong. He has 10 years left in him in an kicking role. And he has eons of footage backing him up of kicking scores from distance from all angles, in all kinds of weather, and in front of full stadia. His pressure kick percentages, albeit from another sport, would I expect place him among the NFL expectancy rate (minimum 80%, hopeful for 90%).

And he's kicked no more or no fewer attempts in the NFL than everyone else pursuing a first time contract as a kicker.

That's a lot of boxes checked. He has to be under serious consideration. 

But to go back to the start. I cannot place myself in a special team coach's shoes. Not even remotely.

gallsman

Even getting signed for training camp would be huge. Make it as far as a practice squad during the regular season and you're already talking 6 figure salaries.

lurganblue

Quote from: gallsman on March 21, 2024, 05:13:33 PMEven getting signed for training camp would be huge. Make it as far as a practice squad during the regular season and you're already talking 6 figure salaries.

Talk that Zammit has 900k offers on the table for practice squads.  I think I read 250k is the minimum.

Saffrongael

Quote from: lurganblue on March 21, 2024, 05:20:01 PM
Quote from: gallsman on March 21, 2024, 05:13:33 PMEven getting signed for training camp would be huge. Make it as far as a practice squad during the regular season and you're already talking 6 figure salaries.

Talk that Zammit has 900k offers on the table for practice squads.  I think I read 250k is the minimum.

Not sure that's right, practice squad salary is usually a weekly rate $15-20k a week I think, and no guarantees you will be on it all season, players usually aren't that's why I assume it's a weekly rate. Teams will add and drop players from them as needed.

I also think it's capped so not sure Zammit can negotiate that high, could be wrong.

https://en.as.com/nfl/how-much-money-do-nfl-practice-squad-players-make-n-2/?outputType=amp
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come