Meath County Council cyber-scammed for over €4m

Started by muppet, December 20, 2016, 05:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1217/839608-meath-county-council-cyber-attack/

...Seven weeks ago, the council was the victim of what is known as a "CEO fraud" whereby large sums of money are transferred to criminals on foot of a bogus instruction in the name of a company chief executive...

Dear Meath CC,

I am the Chief Executive of NighErIan prinCesses @ GAA bord dOt cOM.

Please send me €4m in order for you mák happiest.

bLess U.

P.S Gud luk in the fupball.
MWWSI 2017

trileacman

My reading of that is that Boi moved the 4.3 million from Meath county council. I'd say they're in for a right bollicking.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

muppet

Quote from: trileacman on December 20, 2016, 05:58:24 PM
My reading of that is that Boi moved the 4.3 million from Meath county council. I'd say they're in for a right bollicking.

I think the scam is that a member of staff (in this case of Meath Co Co) is contacted, and believing that it is the CEO giving the instruction, they authorise the bank to make the transfer.
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Shamrock Shore

I had a brief introduction to the ways of Meath Co Council a long time ago.

Fawlty Towers-esque.

To hear they were scammed out of 4.3m does not surprise me in the least.

Nothing to do with Bank of Ireland.

I'd say Muppet's email probably was not too far off the mark in what they acted on.

Smokin Joe

In work I would get an email like that pretty much every day purporting to be from another director.

It is possible, if your guard is totally down, to be caught out the first time you receive it.  But even a cursory pause to think of the circumstances should be enough to ensure you aren't stupid enough to get caught.

Syferus

I nearly had a fit reading this story on RTÉ.ie at the weekend. God love civil servants and their stupidity.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on December 20, 2016, 08:48:58 PM

Fawlty Towers-esque.

I'd say Muppet's email probably was not too far off the mark in what they acted on.

We were considering doing a job (on credit) for Meath CC a few years back; we were warned off by someone who told us that we'd never get paid as Meath CC was in danger of being 'wound up' due to gross financial mismanagement.  Apparently, they 'forgot' to collect the financial contributions associated with planning applications during the boom (which should have made them the richest county council in the state). 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: AQMP on December 21, 2016, 01:50:06 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on December 21, 2016, 12:15:54 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on December 20, 2016, 08:48:58 PM

Fawlty Towers-esque.

We were considering doing a job (on credit) for Meath CC a few years back; we were warned off by someone who told us that we'd never get paid as Meath CC was in danger of being 'wound up' due to gross financial mismanagement.  Apparently, they 'forgot' to collect the financial contributions associated with planning applications during the boom (which should have made them the richest county council in the state).

Don't let them run a Renewable Heat Incentive...
Or let them, and watch every business move to Meath to cash in

Itchy

Keep Meath people away from computers and technology in general. A pic in the hands of a Meath man is more dangerous than Donald trump with nuclear codes.

rrhf

Send Mc Dermott and Harnan in. Sort the fcukers out!

stew

Quote from: Itchy on December 21, 2016, 10:45:43 PM
Keep Meath people away from computers and technology in general. A pic in the hands of a Meath man is more dangerous than Donald trump with nuclear codes.

Or Billy Bob Clinton with a dose of the clap. )
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.