New Zealand earthquake and tsunami

Started by muppet, November 13, 2016, 05:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Christchurch was hammered in 2011 . An awful lot of buildings were destroyed.
One of the things about countries settled by whites in recent history is that there is no knowledge of longer term risk.
The Brits built brick buildings in the 19th century. They didn't know.
Christchurch is not built on a suitable site for a major city.
Insurance is going to be impossible.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on November 13, 2016, 08:33:18 PM
One of the things about countries settled by whites in recent history is that there is no knowledge of longer term risk.

?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 13, 2016, 09:45:17 PM
[/quote
?
Earthquakes are considered 1 in 200 year events. Christchurch may be 150 years old

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on November 13, 2016, 09:51:05 PM
[/quote
?
Earthquakes are considered 1 in 200 year events. Christchurch may be 150 years old

That depends on where the country is surely? As for records I'm sure the the locals have some sort historical records before the whities came
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trileacman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 13, 2016, 10:21:10 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 13, 2016, 09:51:05 PM
[/quote
?

That depends on where the country is surely? As for records I'm sure the the locals have some sort historical records before the whities came

Maori had no written language, they've no appreciable records only myth and legend.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

seafoid

MR why don't you Google the Maori earthquake data and post it ?
Maybe nobody lived around the site of Christchurch.

It's a good example of stability bias. It was stable in the past so let's build a brick house.

AZOffaly

I didn't know whether to put this in here, or in the WTF thread. The independent is such a sensationalist piece of shit.

"'The wardrobe doors were rattling, I couldn't understand it' - Irish woman describes New Zealand earthquake horror"

longballin

Not sure why that is sensationalist... apparently it was terrifying for people.

seafoid

God is punishing New Zealand for losing to Ireland

God punishes people for voting for gay marriage so it is possible

AZOffaly

Quote from: longballin on November 14, 2016, 09:32:50 AM

If it said she was afraid, that would be realistic. But Earthquake 'Horror' is very loaded, and when you read the story, she woke up, saw the wardrobe doors shaking, went outside, and had a sleepless night. If that's 'horror' then the definition of horror has changed a lot.

I'm sure people up in the town affected most would have much more horrific tales to tell than some ex-journo who was woken in the middle of the night. FFS I'm sure people in the West Coast of the USA would have experienced that a few times in the last 20 years.

They have to use words like HORROR and TERROR to hook people in. It pisses me off.

longballin

Fair enough probably not anything like earthquakes you have experienced in Offaly  ::)

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 14, 2016, 10:28:24 AM
Quote from: longballin on November 14, 2016, 09:32:50 AM

If it said she was afraid, that would be realistic. But Earthquake 'Horror' is very loaded, and when you read the story, she woke up, saw the wardrobe doors shaking, went outside, and had a sleepless night. If that's 'horror' then the definition of horror has changed a lot.

I'm sure people up in the town affected most would have much more horrific tales to tell than some ex-journo who was woken in the middle of the night. FFS I'm sure people in the West Coast of the USA would have experienced that a few times in the last 20 years.

They have to use words like HORROR and TERROR to hook people in. It pisses me off.
AZ , NZ is on a fault line. There was an earthquake in 2011 that messed up the RWC arrangements. It was pretty serious.
Christchurch will not be the same again.
If you couldn't insure your house and the cups started rattling how would you react?

AZOffaly

I'm aware of that. I'm calling bullshit on the Independent's reporting of this lady's experience. All designed to get clicks. Read the story about what she said actually happened, and come back to me if what she experienced was 'horrific'.

I'm not doubting she was afraid, I'd imagine I'd be afraid, but then everyone on the San Andreas fault is afraid too. Horror, in the way they are writing, does not mean 'fear' though. But a headline that said

"'The wardrobe doors were rattling, I couldn't understand it' - Irish woman describes New Zealand earthquake fear OR
"'The wardrobe doors were rattling, I couldn't understand it' - Irish woman describes New Zealand earthquake nervousness

wouldn't sell as much clicks.

Maybe I just hate the independent.

stew

Quote from: seafoid on November 14, 2016, 09:59:00 AM
God is punishing New Zealand for losing to Ireland

God punishes people for voting for gay marriage so it is possible

Shut up about God!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.