John Maughan
11 (11.1%)
Kevin McStay
50 (50.5%)
A.N. Other
29 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Mayo Mick

Believe this will work out well and good we have a mgt team in place quickly.  Noel and Pat will do a good job and we will remain in the top 2 or 3 teams in the country for the next few years. Six in a row in Connacht is very much on.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

Chimley

Well as it's official we now have to get behind the two new managers for next year. It's a tough gig and they have been man enough to step up to the plate.
I wonder what changed regarding their reported doubts  about having the time to do the job.

Chimley

Quote from: whitey on September 20, 2014, 10:54:55 PM
Delighted

Nothing personal against Liam McHale, but he needs to keep his head down and mouth shut for a few years. Unfortunately Liam McHale epitomized the "loser mentality" that has held Mayo football back for decades

I seriously doubt that he will ever consider or be considered for a position within Mayo county football after this very public snub. So from that point of view, a vow of silence won't make much difference.

muppet

I am not so confident.

This is a desperately safe selection for the CB. We need something extra/special/different/inspired <delete as appropriate> to get over the line from where James and his team have got us to. Even treading water will be an achievement.

I just don't see where we get the last few inches that we need in this appointment.

Pat had a go before and even seemed to rule himself out. He has done well recently with the Mitchels but he had his shot. If Noel needed Pat on board to add gravitas to his application, then we are in bother. If Noel is the difference I mentioned above, then why not appoint him in his own right, as we did James Horan?
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on September 20, 2014, 11:06:00 PM
I am not so confident.

This is a desperately safe selection for the CB. We need something extra/special/different/inspired <delete as appropriate> to get over the line from where James and his team have got us to. Even treading water will be an achievement.

I just don't see where we get the last few inches that we need in this appointment.

Pat had a go before and even seemed to rule himself out. He has done well recently with the Mitchels but he had his shot. If Noel needed Pat on board to add gravitas to his application, then we are in bother. If Noel is the difference I mentioned above, then why not appoint him in his own right, as we did James Horan?

It also doesn't help the optics when Noel Connelly's brother is vice-chairman of yer county board..

larryin89

Where is this coming from that McStay pulled out because of Liam McHale  not being wanted?  The cb got two nominations , one  was  Kevin McStay the other was Connelly and Holmes as a team. The CB choose the latter option . McStay got told he didn't get the job they had chosen Connelly/Holmes. ''McStay was very disappointed but wished the new management all the best'' said the CB.

At what point did McStay pull out of the race? 
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Quote from: larryin89 on September 20, 2014, 11:33:30 PM
Where is this coming from that McStay pulled out because of Liam McHale  not being wanted?  The cb got two nominations , one  was  Kevin McStay the other was Connelly and Holmes as a team. The CB choose the latter option . McStay got told he didn't get the job they had chosen Connelly/Holmes. ''McStay was very disappointed but wished the new management all the best'' said the CB.

At what point did McStay pull out of the race?

Jaysus you're an awful trusting man Larryin.

larryin89

Not at all, i wouldn't trust any Mayo man who was hoorin himself out to clubrossie.

Syferus

Quote from: larryin89 on September 20, 2014, 11:54:55 PM
Not at all, i wouldn't trust any Mayo man who was hoorin himself out to clubrossie.

;D

Loving and hating this reactionary revisionism in some quarters of Mayo support (or paying customers as the Tanned One would say) that "ah sure McStay is just a blow-in and McHale is a backwards bollix". Connelly and even Holmes are good football men. That doesn't wash away the feeling the Mayo CB wanted someone that wouldn't be as unruly or independent as Horan.

The whole McHale angle if true may have been partially a tester to see if the board could get McStay to do things on their terms rather than his own. They'd have known the end result full-well if McStay wasn't willing to cave.

macdanger2

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on September 20, 2014, 10:08:37 PM
Quote from: stephenite on September 20, 2014, 09:57:34 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on September 20, 2014, 09:45:27 PM
tbh I'd view McHale as a liability so can see why CB were hesitant about that (if that particular rumour is correct).

http://www.mayogaa.com/news/339505/Statement_Re_Mayo_Senior_Football_Team_Manager

Why?

Best of luck to Noel & Pat. If donie is staying on, that's a good sign that they're pretty serious about it.

Maigh Eo abu

Talking about McStay and McHale, someone said to me yesterday "If only they weren't both from Ballina, McStay would have some hope." Hard to believe that would be an issue in this day and age, but far from impossible to believe either.

Anyway. Done now. Best of luck to Connelly and Holmes. James Horan has left a very high standard to reach.

Farrandeelin

What will Pat Holmes and Noel Connelly bring to the table that McStay couldn't?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 21, 2014, 12:52:48 AM
What will Pat Holmes and Noel Connelly bring to the table that McStay couldn't?
They'll kneel when required.

stephenite

Quote from: Syferus on September 20, 2014, 11:26:59 PM

It also doesn't help the optics when Noel Connelly's brother is vice-chairman of yer county board..

Bang on, it looks like cronyism of the highest order, just looks bad.

Hope Mayo Mick is right, however if Connelly isn't able to keep a relatively young and experienced team at the top table himself and his brother will have to held to account.

ballinaman

Quote from: stephenite on September 21, 2014, 01:23:35 AM
Quote from: Syferus on September 20, 2014, 11:26:59 PM

Bang on, it looks like cronyism of the highest order, just looks bad.

Hope Mayo Mick is right, however if Connelly isn't able to keep a relatively young and experienced team at the top table himself and his brother will have to held to account.
And the rest of them, is there a way to get the names of who are on the county board, seems like our own version of the illuminati ...

larryin89

Split Dublin they said more like split mayo for the sake of peace. Thanks be to christ im not from a big club down home, they're all full of their own importance and the bias is just incredible.  Id be more concerned about yer Kiltane defeat today than stickin yer head up your arse over the adopted rossies failed bid for the hot seat.

Connelly deserves our support.